slow fps

Grisan

Spaceman
Hi.

I just downloaded Flight Commander 1-4 and tested it but i have very slow fps.
It doesn't matter if I start the game with 640x480@16 Bit on lowest details or 1600x1200@32 on highest details. I always have 7-8 fps in flight mode. The menus and ship viewer are fine (several hundred fps depending on resolution).

BTW is it correct that there are no subfolders? All files (over 1100!!!!) were installed to the same folder.

My System:
Windows XP Professional
Athlon XP 2600+
768 MB Ram
ATI Radeon 9600 with 256 Mb
I am using the newest Omega drivers v3.8.291

here is the command line output:
Text to speech engine found.
Flight Commander 1.4
Graphics: ATI Technologies Inc. RADEON 9600 x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE
point parameters extension found
no point sprites
Generate mipmap found
Texture compression found
S3TC texture compression found
Anisotropic texture filtering found
Swap control found
Cube mapping found
Could not create directinput joystick device
Joystick not found
Initialized 3d sound
DirectSound version: 9
Sound card: SB Audigy Audio [D800]
Could not create directinput joystick device
Could not find file gauntlet_nephilim.briefing.xml

Thanks for the report, haven't seen this before. Looks like your video card and sound card, and ram should be powerful enough. I suppose you've already tried turning off all the options, and then turning them on one by one to see what the culprit is. Try options besides just resolution. I'm not sure what to tell you. Any other ATI users out there?

Yes, only one subfolder.

Ati

I have 2 computers, an old one vith nvidia and a new laptop with ati display card.
FC runs on the old one perfectly but on the laptop even when switched off all options it`s two slow even 2d room graphics and mouse movements on them. I run all games easily on this computer.

I have 2 computers, an old one vith nvidia and a new laptop with ati display card.
FC runs on the old one perfectly but on the laptop even when switched off all options it`s two slow even 2d room graphics and mouse movements on them. I run all games easily on this computer.

If your laptop is new, then you should experience better frame rate than 7-8 fps. I've experienced this problem before, and it's probably something to do with the laptop not having enough OpenGL memory. That's why I suggested a while back that FC should be ported to DirectX.

Kevin Caccamo said:
That's why I suggested a while back that FC should be ported to DirectX.

Yeah, but that would possibly take effort. :D Besides, there are so many more important things. Bring on the turret AI! What? It hasn't even been assigned yet? Ah man.

If your laptop is new, then you should experience better frame rate than 7-8 fps. I've experienced this problem before, and it's probably something to do with the laptop not having enough OpenGL memory. That's why I suggested a while back that FC should be ported to DirectX.

There's no such thing as "OpenGL memory". DirectX and OpenGl all go to the same hardware, which has the same amount of video memory. Maybe your OpenGl drivers are buggy but the DirectX ones are good. Or maybe I'm using OpenGl in the wrong way in some subtle new configurations. But I will never be porting to Direct3d. I do use DirectX for sound and joystick, right now.

Laptops I've found have poorer graphics card performance when compared with desktop systems.

There definitely robots, but Kris has done a good job at blocking them. That one (spam post has since been deleted) is actually a lone guy in Beijing that manually comes in and registers a spam account like every day. We could easily lock stuff down so he can't get through, but that would also slow down the ability for new posters to get started here.

Back