Sign of the Apocalypse?

I'll be sure to pick up the game and play through it, if I live long enough to see it on a shelf.

I really do dig the updated musical score though.

However, I think i'm going to need a "Duke Capable" logo on my next machine to be able to play it. but, how many actually have played the original duke nukem trilogy, the duke nukem 2 series consisting of four parts...... Duke nukem 3D really remodeled the character they created in the intro scene of duke nukem 2, a pissed off version of jacko "oi", the hyperactive australian energizer wacko.

Well look how long it took Team Fortress 2 to come out and it turned out pretty well.
Besides when Duke Nukem Forever comes it will totally revolutionize the FPS genre, or completely ruin the company, what do I know?
I do know that in racing, though, the in acronym DNF stands for Did Not Finish, maybe that's a bad sign and they should rethink the title.

You know what would be great? Duke Nukem 3D for XBLA.

I don't know about Duke Nukem Forever. If it isn't some huge scam (... who is funding this thing?) then you still have to ask what the point is. Duke Nukem 3D was special because it came along at an incredibly unique socio-technological meeting point where a game that was irreverent and also fast and fun was exactly what the genre needed... it wasn't unique because it had some exceptional technology or because Duke Nukem was a character anyone was especially interested in. I don't see how you can replicate the importance of the original ten years later simply by upping the graphics.

People will buy it because it's Duke Nukem. :)

I disagree. Its been, what, 10 years since DN3D (though there were some good and some awful Duke Nukem games after DN3D) and they need to resell the idea all over again to a new generation of gamers who've probably never heard of him.

I'm willing to put up $50 that no more than five people in a hundred remember, or have even heard of Duke Nukem.

I'll take that bet!

(Captain Planet is still the most popular cartoon character in the world, right?)

(Hehe, still.)

I'll take that bet!

(Captain Planet is still the most popular cartoon character in the world, right?)

(Hehe, still.)

Hehe, ok, ask your parents and 100 people off the street! Duke used to be pretty big, but now, at least when I hear "Duke Nukem" I think "hahaha Duke Nukem Forever."

Actually, the day before the teaser was announced my brother was just asking me if Duke Nukem Forever was still coming out; he's not a gamer but loved DN3D... and has apparently been waiting all this time. I tried to explain that George Broussard is just a crazy person...

Actually, the day before the teaser was announced my brother was just asking me if Duke Nukem Forever was still coming out; he's not a gamer but loved DN3D... and has apparently been waiting all this time. I tried to explain that George Broussard is just a crazy person...

I knew I shoulda said one in ten... :)

Hehe, if it wasn't clear before I do agree with you - Duke Nukem just isn't the brand name that it was for a brief period in the 1990s... and I don't think the folks at 3D Realms realize this. It is an odd coincidence that Silas was asking about the game the day before the teaser news showed up...

Edit: I said 'folks', but I'm not convinced there's more than one person working on the game...

Are you kidding me? In the same way that Gametap got publicity for Daikatana, game sites everywhere will be heralding the release of the game that never existed. DNF will get free publicity simply because it is DNF, and not Duke Nukem. Mark my words.

Duke Nukem just isn't the brand name that it was for a brief period in the 1990s... and I don't think the folks at 3D Realms realize this.

3D Realms is a strange company, in that they strike lightning (Duke Nukem 3D, Max Payne, Terminal Velocity) and then seemingly disappear for long periods of time. I don't really remember them producing an out-right bad game but maybe I just didn't see it, either.

I disagree. Its been, what, 10 years since DN3D (though there were some good and some awful Duke Nukem games after DN3D) and they need to resell the idea all over again to a new generation of gamers who've probably never heard of him.

Hehe, I can't imagine that being too hard though... Duke Nukem is who all the kids wanna be when they grow up. And the game will probably be fast pased, uncomplicated and cool, that kind of thing sells.

And there's still lots of fans to spread the word when the new games does come out.

I went after DN3D partly because the character was funny but mainly because of the Build engine. I read an article in CGW about how easy it was to create custom levels and edit just about every point of the game that I was hooked the moment I set down the magazine.

I loved just messing around with my custom maps, creating huge Backdraft style explosions and breakaway floors. I even once tried to create a nuclear blast, it didn't work out like one but the result was still pretty freaking cool.:D

Hehe, I can't imagine that being too hard though... Duke Nukem is who all the kids wanna be when they grow up. And the game will probably be fast pased, uncomplicated and cool, that kind of thing sells.

A good game sells.

A bad game does not.

A good game sells.

A bad game does not.

Wow, did you come up with that one all by yourself?

Obviously I was talking about a good game; they may end up messing everything up and creating a unimaginably crappy game, but if they keep up their standards, the game is promising.

Back