Sierra compilations being released for XP?

Those have been there for like six months without any real information on them surfacing. The products haven't been officially announced, and they're not listed anywhere else, so they don't appear to really exist. It's pretty strange, but I wouldn't expect them to come out next month.

I enjoyed these series very much when they were first released for DOS back when I was a teenager. I would be glad to see them coming out in a Windows XP compatible format.

I wonder if there's enough nostalgia market to sell these games today. Space Quest, Police Quest and Gold Rush shaped my entire childhood, but it's hard to imagine normal people trying to play them today.

Even disconsidering the technological development, old games are usually a lot harder than any normal game released today.

It depends on the game. I wouldn't say usually. As "hard" as Space Quest 1 would be for someone who'd never played it before, I can breeze through it now in about an hour. I actually did last summer in DOSBox. I'm not sure spending days figuring out that a box is actually a trunk is harder or just tedious. Lots of console games had no save or password feature and could be beaten in a sitting. That's part of what made those games great, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily better or worse than the good games made today.

I remember some very ugly dexterity/pixel precise movements in some of the space quest titles tho. Wouldn't want to have to do them again. EVER.

cff said:
I remember some very ugly dexterity/pixel precise movements in some of the space quest titles tho. Wouldn't want to have to do them again. EVER.

Hmm, dont really remember those. But the burger making mini game in SQ4 could be done with the keyboard instead of the mouse. I got realy good at it even at the top speed. And the astro-chicken stuff in SQ3, and 4 were more just for fun (although you get the encripted message at the end of astro-chicken in SQ3)

... Now that I think about it there was that horrible maze-plant in SQ2 that was more an excercise in patience than dexterity as the slightest movement on the keyboard too much in any direction meant death.

The great thing about the Space Quest series though were the countless, hilarious (at least then), and imaginative ways you could die. IMO SQ3 had some of the best.

Chris, those old Sierra adventure games were not very user friendly. People could get stuck in the game if they forgot to do something early on, and there would be no way to turn back.

I remember the first Police Quest:SWAT, I had so much fun with that game. Though that comm system was a major PITA, I had to hit the same thing a few times before theyd respond the way they should have... :p I'd love to see that game remade/done for XP, I had a lot of fun with that one.

The quest series were some of the first games I ever played on a Mac. I really loved the early versions of those games. They don't ever lose their replayablity.

Delance said:
Chris, those old Sierra adventure games were not very user friendly. People could get stuck in the game if they forgot to do something early on, and there would be no way to turn back.

Yeah... I spent years finding this out the hard way. That's particularly why the Sierra games debuted the 12-slot save game system.

PattyMan2001 said:
I remember the first Police Quest:SWAT, I had so much fun with that game. Though that comm system was a major PITA, I had to hit the same thing a few times before theyd respond the way they should have... :p I'd love to see that game remade/done for XP, I had a lot of fun with that one.

SWAT was a whole generation beyond the original Police Quest games. It's kind of drastically different from the original text input ones.

I'd sure like to see conquests of the longbow re-released. That reminds me I need to see how the space quest 7 fan project is comming along.

Back