Sidious losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceyl86

Spaceman
Alright everyone, I need to get this off my chest. I work at a Circuit City, in the video dept. and for the last few months we've been playing Star Wars on our theater system. One constantly annoying question people have been asking is why Mace Windu could beat Palpatine, but Yoda couldnt. So just to lay it on the line, here are several possibilities:

1. Sidious WANTED to lose against Windu to make the Jedi look evil to Anakin. A big risk you say? Look at everything else Palpatine planned out, it always seems to work to his advantage.

2. According to the Star Wars story line, the force flows easier through humans, is it so hard to believe that Mace might be more powerful then Yoda?

3. Yoda clearly got hurt when he fell fighting Sidious in the Senate chambers, he might not have had the strength to continue the fight after that fall.

It was my opinion/understanding that Palpatine was faking his weakness against Mace in the battle to use it as a tremendous lever on Anakin. I say this because as soon as Anakin intervened to stop Mace, Palpatine instantly lashed out with more lightning...as if he'd never been seriously stopped. Could be wrong, but that was my opinion.

I have heard this brought up in conversation about the movie so many times, and I can't figure out why it's so confusing to everybody.

I like Star Wars, but I'm not a huge star wars fan. I don't know anything about who's jedi blood cell count is higher than the price of tea in china or how many x-wings any particular jedi can raise just by clenching his buttocks, but it was obvious even to me that when Sam "mutha-fuckin" Jackson had apparently bested Palpatine it was all just an excercise in misdirection. Palpatine was never in any danger of losing.

edit: You might remember a similar cinematic convention used in "The Lion King", and for some reason a bunch of 6 year olds got the point quite easily.

as before mentioned, palpatine used this moment, he could have blown of windu in the blink of an eye, it was part of his plan to have anakin become vader. he was more powerfull than anakin/vader ever has been, as shown in episode 6. it's part of storyline.

Maj.Striker said:
It was my opinion/understanding that Palpatine was faking his weakness against Mace in the battle to use it as a tremendous lever on Anakin. I say this because as soon as Anakin intervened to stop Mace, Palpatine instantly lashed out with more lightning...as if he'd never been seriously stopped. Could be wrong, but that was my opinion.

I think that sounds exactly right. I never really had any question about it. It all seems to have happened just as you described. The bit with Palpatine lashing out so strongly just after he got Anakin to intervene seems to seal it pretty well.

Corsair(pilot) said:
I have heard this brought up in conversation about the movie so many times, and I can't figure out why it's so confusing to everybody.

Never underestimate the ignorance of the general moviegoing population. Hell, I've talked to Star Wars fans who didn't 'get' that Obi-Wan similarly threw the fight with Vader.

Jeebs!

Corsair(pilot) said:

edit: You might remember a similar cinematic convention used in "The Lion King", and for some reason a bunch of 6 year olds got the point quite easily.

If ya don;t like it, Ignore it. Y do people see the need to make annoying comments like that? Good for you, you've seen it before, let a few of us newer to the game have our rant! There are plenty of new topics here too!

"Never underestimate the ignorance of the general moviegoing population. Hell, I've talked to Star Wars fans who didn't 'get' that Obi-Wan similarly threw the fight with Vader."

talk about your average superiority complex, LET IT BE LAID TO REST HERE AND NOW! Knowledge DOES turn a person into an Arrogant Ass!

Third and finally Palpatine wasn't as powerful as everyone thinks. That bit from Wikipedia is incorrect. If Darth Plegueis truly was Palpatine's master, then Palpatine would have known how to cheat death, which he clearly did not. Plus, before Palpatine aquired the Kaiber crystal, he was no stronger then your average Jedi. So I dont think its unreasonable that he may have been genuinly defeated by Windu (though I do not agree with that theory). I also must agree that it was staged, but I am a fencer myself, and I will tell you right now, look at Obi Wann Vs. Dooku in Episode II compated to Mace VS. Palpatine in Episode III. Palpatine did not have that much dominance over Windu, he was holding his own, but its not like he was toying with him. Dooku on the other hand, well its pretty obvious he was just playing with Obi Wann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back