Short But Sweet Profile Shows Love For Amiga WC (July 22, 2016)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
AmigaLove.com is a database that highlights the greatest games that were made for the platform. Wing Commander has earned its place as one of the top Amiga titles, so it's a perfect fit for the site. The highlight blurb is fairly brief, but they have a nice screenshot archive to show off the game. WC1 on the Amiga is known for having a fairly tiny color palette, although this has to be taken in context. It's amazing that they got the game running at all - let alone still looking so good with only 16 colors at a time! Check out the profile here.

Wing Commander is one of the finest games created for the sci-fi/space simulation genres of all time. It was technologically innovative with true 3D space employing bitmapped sprites at various angles to create the sensation of true 3D graphics...

--
Original update published on July 22, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
In the last image, note the lack of shield readout on the autotarget screen on the right VDU. Much like in the PC version, if you had a low-end machine, certain features were missing.

On our Amiga 600, the hand in the cockpit was static, there was no shield info and the cockpit explosions were limited. It was however, worth every second, if not for the sweet Amiga music but for the fact it got me and many others into Wing Commander.

Actually having more than just 1 mb of memory (1.5 mb) would get you pretty much every option available in the game.
I also have read somewhere that at least 1mb had to be chip memory (which I don't believe, but it would naturally make some swapping gfx between mems unnecessary I guess).
But to be playable in the minimum sense you had to have at least 12 mhz of raw cpu power.
For the ordinary Amiga Version (16 colours) you would be well served with a base A3000 (which had more than 1mb of ram and HD), or an A1200 with at least 3 floppy drives or HD.

The minimum playable for Amiga CD would be an A1200 with CD-ROM and a memory card expansion (to free the CPU fetching memory operations)...
The Amiga CD version (often refered as the CD32) would be best played on A4000/030 or 040 or an A1200 with HD and an accelerator card of at least 20 mhz.

Back