Ship Speeds

Lynx said:
Maybe I was too vague. Stuff exploding in space consists of matter actually. Vacuum doesn't explode you know. Now if the object that explodes contains gas (and during an explosion/stuff being exposed to great heat certain meterials turn into gaseous form which explosively rushes outward due to the pressure difference between the two media, and in the sci-fi case some fusion reactor or plasma thingy loosing containment resulting in the same, thus creating a shockwave, though rather small due to the relatively low mass of these objects/stuff. If this one hits whatever you are situated in at the moment this object will vabrate and you'd either hear or feel the vibration of strong enough.
Like I said: you can hear the explosion if you're flying through the fireball, which is exactly the scenario you're describing. Beyond that you can't.

I will note that the most probable form of artificial gravity that has appeared in any form of sci-fi is a spinning chamber. In a situation like that, the ground is rushing up to you, giving your body the impression that it is actually pushing down into the ground.

The inside of a widely spinning spacecraft would have the same effect, tending to throw your body to the outside of the loop. In order to feel *normal* gravity, one would have to pull into a vertical loop at whatever change in degrees per second would ne necessary to simulate Earth gravity.

Phy said:
MamiyaOtaru said:
Originally Posted by MamiyaOtaru
If the compuer creates sounds wen guns fire, my only question is where did the sound for the steltek gun come from? Did your computer make it up on the spot the first time it saw the drone fire? Or did it base it off of what it heard (through the hull) when you fired your own 'tek gun?
Isn't the gun sound in-game the same sound file as one of the other guns? Or is my head screwed on backwards? If that's the case, I'd lean towards your first answer, and if not, towards the second.
It might.. we currently have it using the plasma gun sound, but I'm not sure that's correct. Anyone hve a more authoritative answer for that?
And just to muddy the original issue a little further here... What about Privateer? Moving at so-called "combat speeds" in Privateer can get you from planet to planet within a few minutes, off autopilot. (Although I'm not sure if there ever were two planets - ag. or pleasure - in the same system. Two bases, yes of course, but that's not the same thing.)
There is at least one I can think of. Junction has 2 ag planets and a pleasure planet. They are suspiciously close :D
Although, hidden in here is a good explanation for why your shields don't regenerate on autopilot - they literally don't have time to, because you've closed the scoop fields and bugged across the system at the speed of Fast.
I like that. Doesn't explain why the systems are so small, but it explains why no one else moves while you auto and are in the same place when you finish. Of course that implies a certian amount of impossible acceleration and deceleration (same thing really isn't it?) on your part :D

Back