Ship Pop-up Window Closing Behaviour

The Ship Pop-ups Should Close

• As currently (when I mouse out, or if I click the X)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avacar

Vice Admiral
Hi guys,

I know for a while that the 'mouse-out to close' behaviour of the popups has annoyed some of you. I've always left it in because it was a consistent way for the ship windows to appear and disappear as necessary, but also to allow you to move them around and close them on demand.

With the inclusion of the 'X' this behaviour is no longer as critical. (One day in the future, I could probably add a user preferences toggle to go between a only-visible-while-over-the-ship vs. close-on-x-only system, but not for now).

This poll addresses whether or not we should move to a close-on-x-click only system. This would make dragging/moving the windows around easier, but would make them never close until requested to close.

Feel free to debate the merits below!

Good question... If we implemented the close-on-x-only system, shouldn't we also discuss whether pop-ups will only open when you actually click on a ship? Otherwise you'd have to manually close any pop-ups where you accidentally hovered over another ship.
(These two features would slow down gameplay, though.)

I missed this discussion entirely, or at least while the poll was still open. I for one would prefer to see a close-on-x only system and (as Ironduke suggested) an open-on-click system. The rollovers are nice and all, but what usually happens to me is that as I move my mouse to do anything with the pop-up, I roll too far one way or the other and it closes. This gets annoying in a hurry, especially in the case where there are multiple objects on a single space (such as what happens after a missile is launched). If I roll too far, the window goes away and then I have to go through a big rigmarole of selecting "object" then re-selecting what I wanted to look at in the first place. I don't think a close-on-x system would slow down gameplay; on the contrary, I think it would speed things up a bit.

Specifically in Game 5, it'd be nice if something could also be done about the board jumping back to the upper left-hand corner anytime an action is acknowledged (logging in, opening up a ship's orders window, etc.). It's not that big of a deal for me personally (for now), but I imagine it's a real bite for those guys down in the lower-right hand corner of the board. Don't know if there's a separate discussion thread for that or not.

I missed this discussion entirely, or at least while the poll was still open. I for one would prefer to see a close-on-x only system and (as Ironduke suggested) an open-on-click system. The rollovers are nice and all, but what usually happens to me is that as I move my mouse to do anything with the pop-up, I roll too far one way or the other and it closes. This gets annoying in a hurry, especially in the case where there are multiple objects on a single space (such as what happens after a missile is launched). If I roll too far, the window goes away and then I have to go through a big rigmarole of selecting "object" then re-selecting what I wanted to look at in the first place. I don't think a close-on-x system would slow down gameplay; on the contrary, I think it would speed things up a bit.

Specifically in Game 5, it'd be nice if something could also be done about the board jumping back to the upper left-hand corner anytime an action is acknowledged (logging in, opening up a ship's orders window, etc.). It's not that big of a deal for me personally (for now), but I imagine it's a real bite for those guys down in the lower-right hand corner of the board. Don't know if there's a separate discussion thread for that or not.
Seems like most people missed it... only 1 vote was ever put in.

As for the jumping... well that's why we brought on Jason_Ryock, but I haven't heard from him yet, since his initial commitment to the project. Hopefully he'll have a chance to tackle the weird jumping soon.

Sorry I missed this. I did notice the code update that made the ship pop-ups only appear and disappear on clicks and I find this to be a good system (no more fighting with mouse hovers). I imagine it's an improvement for people using touch-screens/tablets too. Thanks for your continued efforts in all this.

Back