Shields

T

The Sphynx

Yet another Sphynx post while not logged in.

Maybe this is covered in the manual, but I can't find it. I don't know if it's a bug.

I'm in my Centurion, trying to make my way through the campaign to bug test, and I think having beefier shields would help. I have enough money to buy them, but they are listed in red and I cannot purchase them. Is there a reason for this? Do I need special equipment or a bigger reactor? This is probably not a bug, but I don't know how to resolve my problem.

I'm trying to make it through the campaign, but with my current shielding if I run into three or more Gothris I'm pretty much sunk, and I seem to be doing that more and more often. Either I need to get better at shooting and dodging at the same time, or I need to upgrade those shields so I can take a few more hits and finish of a nasty Cat to even out the odds.

What shield level do you have now.
The max shield level on a centurion is level 3.
You need at least 1-2 cargo hold space to fit it in.
tell me if these suggestions help.
If you need more shields, try an orion --that can get level 5

Believe me, shields calss 1, 3 or 5 doesn't make the difference, nor lasers instead of fusion guns, when you must face 10 Talons powerfully equipped...
Sigh...
:':'(

3 Heavy Fighters Vs. 10 Medium Fighters...
Heavy 0, Medium 1

Maybe 3 Paradigm Vs. 10 Medium Fighters...

But if I hire for 50000 cr. the wingmen and the mission is worth 60000 the 10000 cr. are a very small reward...
Not to mention the credits that you must pay for repair your damaged ship...
::(

I'll have to check, but I think I'm at shield 4 level 1 or 2, but I'm thinking it's level 1. I'm currently at Perry, and they have shields level 3 and lower I believe, but I can't buy any of them. Does that help?

send me your savegame and I can verify that you cannot buy shields and figure out why
privater *atsign* gmail.com

*atsign* = @

Your savegame is located in .vegastrike/serialized_xml/savegamename/shiptype

Hey, I finally got it to work (feeling stupid now, feeling very stupid!) But, I still had to sell the shields that I had before it made other shields available for my purchase. I guess to help other people from making that mistake would be to make that explicit in the manual, or make it more obvious in the game. I don't know what the problem was originally, because I recall selling my shields, but maybe the shields I was trying to buy were higher than level 3. Anyway, sorry for the false alarm.

I realize that there's also a shield_2_Level3
you can never buy one of those because all privateer ships have shields with 4 faces.

We removed shield_2 type shields from the cvs tree :)
so in 1.0 it'll only have shields that were in privateer

Back