Sg-1

I buy the DVDs so I'm still midway through season 6.
I'm really looking forward to season 7 and the movie but I wish I knew more about Stargate: Atlantis... it could be good or terrible ;)

Space.com said there was discussion on a SG-1 movie. I take it that idea went under?

No, as I said the idea is very much alive, it was never scheduled to begin production to the end of season 7s filming. It will link SG-1 and atlantis.

Originally posted by Pedro
No, as I said the idea is very much alive, it was never scheduled to begin production to the end of season 7s filming. It will link SG-1 and atlantis.

Except there's talk of a Season 8 now, which would push everything back, if they do it.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
I love the movie. But I think the series is a bit dull.
]

Also the other way around, the movie for me was incredibly dull, all the officers seemed like carbon copies of eachother (and its not like Kurt Russell has ever had any depth) and the entire plot line could be summed up in a sentance, good luck trying to that with even an episode of SG-1.

You're right about Season 8, I just checked and its being considered, I'm really not certain how I could have missed this, that may unfrotunatley just mean it will be used to replace the movie. I would be surprised if Atlantis was delayed however, that will use a new cast and one of the producers of SG-1 has not been working on Season 7, instead hes been preparing that show so it might be possible the two will run together? (bliss! :D)

Odd detail James Spader (the original daniel jackson from the movie) is said to be making an appearance in Season 8, apparently as a lawyer.

i think the series sucks. they should have used all that wasted money to continue Farscape

the movie was okay though

I really enjoy Stargate, but if given the choice between the two, I would definately take Farscape. However, knowing Sci-Fi they would just be stupid and cancel Farscape anyway even if Stargate wasn't around.

Also the other way around, the movie for me was incredibly dull, all the officers seemed like carbon copies of eachother (and its not like Kurt Russell has ever had any depth) and the entire plot line could be summed up in a sentance, good luck trying to that with even an episode of SG-1.

I Agree I like the series alot and thought even thow the movie was really cool looking it was alittle dull. Kurt Russell didnt really help in that dipartment eather if you know what I mean :(

I like Farscape too but I wouldnt want to see one of them to cancel one of the series for the other.

And by replacing the cast, do you mean for the series?

Stargate was more popular and understandably so. Ok so we're all sci fi heads here but I like the way SG-1 keeps us in touch with the real world and sci fi at the same time, this obviously is an even bigger plus for your average non sci fi fan and probably contributes significantly to SG-1s much higher ratings.

Also, I mean I enjoyed Farscape but it was too experimental at times, most of the "odd" episodes were just unwatchable, maybe I'm just not a fan of australian humor but it didn't agree with me.

Each to their own I guess but I really like the idea of "gating" to other worlds, where we're not in a ship that can run from trouble or fire phasers, in SG-1 were shown people we can identify with fighting to save our static little planet from destruction.

Each to their own I guess but I really like the idea of "gating" to other worlds, where we're not in a ship that can run from trouble or fire phasers, in SG-1 were shown people we can identify with fighting to save our static little planet from destruction.
One of the problems I have with the show the past few season is the dependence on space travel. The idea of the Prometheus and Earth starfighters doesn't sit well with me. However, I do like how the producers have decided to spearhead the Anubis storyline since it did seem they were jumping around with what story to go to until they switched over to SciFi. I do miss the random world explorations episodes, though.

Originally posted by ChanceKell
I do like how the producers have decided to spearhead the Anubis storyline since it did seem they were jumping around with what story to go to until they switched over to SciFi. I do miss the random world explorations episodes, though.

Thats one of my favorite things about this series, It has a overall plot but sometimes they do the exploring thing. I think they tend to balance it overall well.

I've always thought the series was okay to watch, but not that great. Farscape on the other hand was wonderful. Whereas SG-1's humor is irritating and I just want to punch Richard Dean anderson sometimes (actually I guess I want to do physical harm to the writers) for some of the humor he tries to pull off, I still roll around laughing at the 'Earth-boy in outerspace pop-culture' references Crichton spews out watching farscape in syndication. I don't know, SG-1 just seems like a kindof 'cookie-cutter' show to me.
Somehow this thread seems to have turned into comparing Stargate to Farscape. Did SciFi really make a one or the other decision or is this just a comparison?

C-ya

As the for the humor thing I have to disagree whole heartedly, Crichton always came off as having gone mildly insane to me and I didn't find any of his references even mildly ammusing, infact in the shows entire lifetime I don't think I laughed once.
SG-1 was never meant to be all that funny, it has a lot of moral issues (which I love) a lot of character and an entire universe out there interacting with its self even when the team don't see it. Now Jack is obviously smarter than he lets on, I've always seen his humor as a defence mechanism to stop anyone getting too close after charlies death, the humour is (for better or worse) pretty much like mine, they have the odd humurous episode (eg the 100th episode, wormholeXtreme) but for the most part they let the impact of the episodes stay by keeping the situations real but allowing the characters to be quirky and humurous. No one could ever accuse Farscape of believability.

"I remember a bald man in a white t-shirt and somehow hes important to me. I think his name is Homer."

I do agree that the increase in space travel is a let down, I always find the episodes centred around this are of a lower quality. Most commonly it is used for the two parters, but I thought the prometheus was a real exception in this case, the parts were stolen and reverse engineered from the crashed mothership and I'll be honest the fact that it was human in design and looked it (atleast from the inside) kept the feeling of modern day earth venturing out. I especially liked the episode where they accidentally detonated an EMP above a nearby planet and had to convince the locals that they weren't under attack, it had all the feel of a classic SG-1 episode but with the new twist that they had to prove they weren't a threat, even with that gigantic ship.

The production of the prometheus didn't go off without a hitch, a G'oald had to be manipulated into finishing the engines, and even then the hyper drive didn't work as expected, a real fumbling attemtp by earth to use technology over their heads out of a NECCESSITY. The show opened up the fact we were experementing with alien technology early on with the 2 gliders fused together (also a complete disaster). No maybe the time period is a little too condensed, maybe not, if you knew a hostile alien race was coming how much of your resources would you focus on defending against that race?

Not seen breakdown, seen Soldier, Escape From fils etc.

I'm a big SG-1 Fan.

Anyone on here a member of the SGA (Stargate Assiocation), it's a SG-1 Fan Site, much like the SGC one (if anyone had ever been there). You play games to get points and and get promoted through the ranks of either the USAF or the USMC. the site is at http://www.stargatesga.com

Originally posted by Viper61
Somehow this thread seems to have turned into comparing Stargate to Farscape. Did SciFi really make a one or the other decision or is this just a comparison?

SciFi claims that it wasn't a "one or the other" decision, but i don't really believe them. they claim that the decision to cancel Farscape was because of rising costs and decline of viewers (here is their FAQ about it). personally, i think that's a load of bullshit and the real reason was to continue SG-1 and bring in that really really stupid show 'Scare Tactics'

As the for the humor thing I have to disagree whole heartedly, Crichton always came off as having gone mildly insane to me and I didn't find any of his references even mildly ammusing, infact in the shows entire lifetime I don't think I laughed once.

For a good portion of the series, Crichton actually was going insane.

Back