SG-1: The Alliance cancelled

First off - would everyone on the internet stop using slang from Firefly? I'm considering opening a Paypal account for charity so I could raise funds allowing me to fly all over the world and punching people in the face who use words like "gorram" in their speech.

Second, this is unfortunate but not unexpected. The game was very slow going and had been on hiatus before being unplugged.

hmm, it was coming since jowood cancelled the funding in october, but perception wanted to go on anyway. to bad they didn't come all too far

LeHah said:
First off - would everyone on the internet stop using slang from Firefly? I'm considering opening a Paypal account for charity so I could raise funds allowing me to fly all over the world and punching people in the face who use words like "gorram" in their speech.

Sorry LeHah, imo Gorra is quite a cool word.

But I suppose I have to take others into consideration

Being I'm to cheap to get cable . My first thought when
reading "gorram" was a typo of goram .
A fermented fish sauce from the Roman Empire .

To everyone here who doesn't want to see the game die, or at least show them that there is a lot of demand for a Stargate game you can sign the petition here with or without your personal comment :
http://www.petitiononline.com/SGTA/petition.html
P.S. : I noticed the original petition lettre is signed "Robert O'Reilly", so unless it's someone posing as him, Chancellor Gowron is leading the "fight against cancellation" :)

PetitionOnline has never been of use to anyone ever. If you want to make a mark, snailmail letters - theres a lot more time and care taken in a mass mailing than a bunch of e-people typing out their names to a Java Script protest.

Has any online petition ever had any success? Serious question, as off the top of my head I can't think of a single successful online petition, petitiononline or otherwise.

You know LeHah, you're a great guy.

LeHah is completely right on both counts this time around, though. The internetization of pop culture science fiction "swearing" is a terrible, terrible thing. It just hurts an important part of your brain when you see a million internet jerks thinking it's really really clever to say "frell" or "frak". If there were one guy doing it we would shake his hand and call him adorable... but it's bazillions of people and it isn't interesting.

Now, I don't begrudge Stargate fans anything, I think they're a pleasant community with a neat product... but if they want to have any shot at saving their game they need a real campaign and not a petitiononline auto-generated e-petition. At best petitiononline is useless, at worst and most likely it's a spamtrap.

They should be calling and physically writing to potential publishers asking them to pick up the game -- heck, they should have been doing this months ago when the games original publishers bailed.

Death said:
Has any online petition ever had any success? Serious question, as off the top of my head I can't think of a single successful online petition, petitiononline or otherwise.

La Femme Nikita got an extra 8 episodes essentially from fan support . I guess USA pulled the show part way through the season and the extra epidodes allowd the series to be wrapped up properly

Five seasons though means there are a lot more people who have invested their interest in the show than say a game that has never seen the light of day would.

Soon after the "finale" aired, however, fans in more than 40 countries, led by an online group known as First Team, launched a campaign. They flooded USA Network with more than 25,000 emails and letters. They even sent gifts -- including cash (donated to charity), a TV, VCRs, cookies, and more than 100 sunglasses, symbolizing the leading character's signature look.

The network got the message.

USA Network renegotiated the show's return, and on Jan. 7, La Femme Nikita came back for another eight -- absolutely final -- episodes

I doubt the emails really did much use after sending all that stuff. The point is - bribery through the USPS - be it letters or gifts - gets your point across.

Confed said:
P.S. : I noticed the original petition lettre is signed "Robert O'Reilly", so unless it's someone posing as him, Chancellor Gowron is leading the "fight against cancellation" :)

Robert O'Reilly isn't an uncommon name.

I would agree that most, if not all, online petitions are useless and have failed to alter whatever injustice they seek to rectify. Most probably even barely register with the entity claimed to be acting unfairly by the petition, especially if it's a large corporation.

To add to AD's example however, I believe that fan pressure and campaigning was responsible for the Farscape: Peacekeepers Wars special, although I think the goal was for another (fifth?) season.

Apparently the TrekUnited campaign managed to secure over $3-million in investment from anonymous donors in the aerospace industry and fans, while largely mobilising the hardcore US fanbase. They also supposedly held some discussions with Paramount on the future of Enterprise. Ultimately, the campaign has been unsuccessful.

There are likely a few other examples out there where an online petition has been successful or at least had a partial measure of success, but on the whole they seem ineffective, except as an outlet of channelled anger and frustration for those supporting a particular petition and a source of derision for the rest of the internet.

Cheers,

BrynS

On the subject of SG-1: The Alliance, I was rather looking forward to a decent Stargate FPS -- it's quite surprising that the franchise hasn't been exploited as a major PC or console game before, given that the movie was released in 1994 and the television franchise has been running for almost a decade.

I recall that JoWood received quite a bit of flak last year when they dropped the game and it's complete cancellation, at a time when it should be close to completion, appears to vindicate their decision. Although I haven't been following it's development that closely, the shortage of game media during a fairly long period of exposure was perhaps telling. Some of the sequences and brief gameplay shown in the two trailers I've seen looked interesting and the squad command element suggested some new dynamics not seen in previous squad FPS games.

A slight concern was the game's graphics, which while perfectly competent, were not pushing any boundaries and perhaps unfairly, this is a critical element in a successful PC FPS. I believe the developers were using Unreal Engine 2.x, which while almost unrivalled two years, has been surpassed by Source, ID's Doom3 engine, Unreal Engine 3, CryEngine and others. If the game was going to be further delayed until later this year, especially with DirectX10 engines and games looming at the end of 2006, the game would look quite dated.

Hopefully the game's cancellation won't prevent other developers from creating a StarGate game.

Cheers,

BrynS

Bandit LOAF said:
LeHah is completely right on both counts this time around, though. The internetization of pop culture science fiction "swearing" is a terrible, terrible thing. It just hurts an important part of your brain when you see a million internet jerks thinking it's really really clever to say "frell" or "frak". If there were one guy doing it we would shake his hand and call him adorable... but it's bazillions of people and it isn't interesting.

Again I apologise for my use of the world Gorram, I will not use it again (appart from just now that is :D)

BrynS said:
To add to AD's example however, I believe that fan pressure and campaigning was responsible for the Farscape: Peacekeepers Wars special, although I think the goal was for another (fifth?) season.
Online or offline, though? Fan pressure usually takes multiple forms (like AD's example showed), and the question is whether there has ever been a successful online campaign.

Apparently the TrekUnited campaign managed to secure over $3-million in investment from anonymous donors in the aerospace industry and fans, while largely mobilising the hardcore US fanbase. They also supposedly held some discussions with Paramount on the future of Enterprise. Ultimately, the campaign has been unsuccessful.
Hehehe, $3 million from anonymous donors? Really? Far more likely, the $3 million never existed - the great big investment from an anonymous donor was made up to make it look like the campaign wasn't a lost cause.

Back