Several Standoff Problems

wcnut

Rear Admiral
Normaly Id put the name of the problem in the title but seeing as there are more then one its a little difficult.

I'm using Windows XP
Pentium 4 processor

First when ever I click on the Options menu in the Launcher I get an error saying "Run-time error '7' Out of memory" any ideas on how to fix this. I have tried reinstalling both standoff and WC secret-ops with no success

Second (and this happens throughout all four episodes) all voices during cut-scenes do not work. At least the first one starts to work but then after a couple of lines it cuts out and every main cut-scenes where it looks as if it were taken from the game engine wont work either.
Also "and this could be the same problem" Much of the briefing diologue seems to be cut out. At least In some missions it begins to speak but then after a few lines it cuts out as well. Has some of the voice acting been cut out? or for some reason my computer is to blame? Again, reinstalling did not change anything.

So no one has an idea as to what could be causing this?

sorry about that didnt realize i wasnt signed in. This is the first forum that ive been too that allowed non regestered users to post

Hmm, ok, this might be a little difficult, I don't think we've seen any of those errors before, apart from the briefing dialogue which is a known issue... let's see...

- Can you play Secret Ops without any problems?
- Were you able to play Standoff normally before Ep 4?
- When you say the cutscene voiceovers cut out, does it happen both in in-flight cutscenes (ie: episode intros) and talking head scenes? Does it always happen at the same point in the cutscene, or does it seem random? And does it still happen regardless of having the anti-movie-skipping patch on or off?

(To toggle that patch without using the Launcher, you can edit your st_options.cfg file with notepad... the second-to-last number should be 1 for anti-skip patch turned on, and 0 for off).

As for the launcher, I don't think we've ever seen that particular message before. Can you try Pete's patch from this link and see if anything changes?

I have been playing ep. 4 with the files outside the TRE file mode. I have been getting a lot of unknown comms errors with different file names. Is there a way to take the ship files that I modified and put them into the TRE files as if it were like a regular zip file. What program could I use do this because the TREman program that I have can only extract 1 or files from the TRE file

If you've modified some things yourself, then it's no surprise that Standoff isn't working as it should . ;) HCl wrote a program to pack things into TRE files, but I haven't had the time to try it myself.

The older ep's of standoff work fine with the modifying that I have made it is ep 4 that is giving me a lot of problems with this. Is there a program that I have not found that would allow me to put files in the TRE file so that I could avoid this problem of unknown comms and play the game from the TRE files.

You can leave the files inside the TRE and leave only your "ships" folder inside the Standoff folder, then edit the stan__1.cfg file and remove the "install no folders 0" line (that tells the game to ignore folders) - then it will read everything from the TRE, except the ships which will be read from your custom folder.

There is no way to insert files into a TRE file, you can only build an entirely new TRE from a set of files... but there is a known bug with TREMAN and overly large TRE files (...ours) where it won't extract all the files, so even that wouldn't help you.

Well, Secret Ops runs perfectly fine on my computer. And the briefing/cutscenes is something that always happened on my computer since the prologue of Standoff was released. And yes it only happens in the in flight cutscenes not the talking head cutscenes. On the first in flight cutseen the first few lines were spoken but then it cut out. and then every in flight cutscene to follow would not have any voices. Music Played though. Its very odd. As for the launcher problem ill have to try it next time I'm at home which will at least be a couple of weeks. Perhaps It may come to having to reinstall the O.S., which doubt ill do just to fix these minor problems. Partially I have no idea where the Drivers that shipped with that computer are.

Hmm, I'm not sure whether that's trouble or a relief - we've only started experiencing the briefing-cut-out bug with Ep 4, and we've never had it happen on cutscenes.

We had never even looked into any of these issues before, since we didn't know they existed... so the good news now is that finding the source of the briefing bug is on our to-do list, and your in-flight speech problems may be related (which could explain music playing, but not voiceovers).

Do in-flight comms play normally? If you watch one cutscene and then go back to the menu and then go back to the cutscene again, will it not play any voices, or does it play the same voices as it did the first time, and then cut out at the same point?

The ingame comms all work fine. As for seeing if opening the menu and closeing it durring a cut scene will effect it, I do not know. Ill have to try it next time I'm back home. Or if you mean going back to the room and trying the cutscene agian. Can you do that? I kind of doubt it would make a diffrece but i guess i could try it. I have never reloaded the OS on that computor and Ive had it for years. could that be part of the problem you think?

I mean going back to the room after the cutscene and then trying the cutscene again (you can load it from the Flight History Terminal). It would be important to find out whether there are specific points in the cutscene which cause the cuts 100% of the time or if the cuts happen at random times.

I don't think your OS could be a problem, no.

oh ok. Most Inflight cutsceens there is consitatly no sound. The first one I think it is rather consistant like the breifings but I cant be sure untill I go home and try it

Just a quick blurb about my expirience with this...

I am able to run Standoff in Open GL fine during flight, however, the cutscenes were extremely choppy (audio-wise, mostly) during flight. My resolution was set at 1280X1024...

However, when I switched to Direct3d, I had not problems running the cutscenes at 640X480...

My Specs are:
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro video Card
AMD Athalon 2500+ processor
I was using win2k if it matters

This is what I get for typing late at night...

I meant to say that the Cutscene's (talking heads especially) were choppy, especially the audio. I had very few problems with in-flight coms.

@Eder: Win2k is certainly not my choice, but my XP system took a dive :) It seems like it has less crashing than the first 3 episodes, but I don't know why that would be...

I meant to say that the Cutscene's (talking heads especially) were choppy, especially the audio. I had very few problems with in-flight coms.

Do me a favour, run task manager with standoff in windowed mode (set in STAN_OGL.cfg) and tell me the CPU usage when a video is playing back, so I can narrow down the cause.

Back