Screenshots

Just wanted to post about the CIC frontpage news update screen shots... Excellent. I cannot wait to be able to play Standoff. Beautiful work.

Have to agree - wow. Especially the deck scene for ship selection is breathtaking.

I'm still trying to figure out why I posted the Crossbow/Rapier one instead of the Crossbow/Rapier/Sabre one - three ships should be more breathtaking than two. :)

Wow, take a look at that WC2 hi-res hangar! And the Rapier cockpit is great too. BTW, what are those "holes" in front of the Crossbow for? Torpedo launch?

I've said it before.. but I would really love an entire game that takes place walking around in environments such as that. Myst style, choose your own adventure, whatever.

I still like the idea I had a while back. A WC game with a first-person environment inside the carrier. You'd get to walk around, get to know the ship, and, pretty much, do things that you couldn't do in another WC game. I mean, who *wouldn't* want to learn their way around the old Tiger's Claw? Or the Midway?

The only problem that I foresee is that someone will inevitably turn it into a "defend your carrier from a (insert enemy name here) boarding party" situation, which would, IMO, be pretty lame. Or, possibly even a Metroid-esque "find your way to your ship before this ship/station/planet gets blown up" sequence.

I was so happy when wc4 added the map that showed you where hot spots were...I hated always having to go to every room on the victory to see where people were...

overmortal said:
The only problem that I foresee is that someone will inevitably turn it into a "defend your carrier from a (insert enemy name here) boarding party" situation, which would, IMO, be pretty lame. Or, possibly even a Metroid-esque "find your way to your ship before this ship/station/planet gets blown up" sequence.

Yeah, I don't care what we do.. I'd just like to be able to explore and stuff. We could have a scavenger hunt for all the pieces necessary to build ace's birthday present for all I care.

Eder said:
I'm still trying to figure out why I posted the Crossbow/Rapier one instead of the Crossbow/Rapier/Sabre one - three ships should be more breathtaking than two. :)

<catches some breath hoping Eder WILL release that screenshot soon>

(BTW, do you have any screenshots of an FMV cutscene already?)

Nope. Actually, I'd say there's a pretty big chance of dropping the FMV cutscenes altogether at this point. I'm no good at animating stuff (and I *definitely* don't have time to learn it :)) and I haven't found anyone who's willing to help and who doesn't have n problems using the models in the format I have them - I don't have time to go around adding bumpmaps and setting material properties and making sure everything is 3dsmax-friendly and etc. either.

Edit: and here are the variations of that room:
http://standoff.solsector.net/previews/shipchoose1.png
http://standoff.solsector.net/previews/shipchoose2.png

hhhmmmmm......ggooooddd! :)

very nice "indeed" ;)

very detailed--even has changes in the reflection on the walls of the hangar bay

very shiny, they must clean and hot wax those bays every 2 days for that sharp of a reflection :D :D ;)

Eder said:
Nope. Actually, I'd say there's a pretty big chance of dropping the FMV cutscenes altogether at this point. I'm no good at animating stuff (and I *definitely* don't have time to learn it :)) and I haven't found anyone who's willing to help and who doesn't have n problems using the models in the format I have them - I don't have time to go around adding bumpmaps and setting material properties and making sure everything is 3dsmax-friendly and etc. either.

Edit: and here are the variations of that room:
http://standoff.solsector.net/previews/shipchoose1.png
http://standoff.solsector.net/previews/shipchoose2.png

Eder, I'm interested somewhat in animations. Whether or not I'm any good is a subject of relative debate. Send me an email if your interested and I'll send you a clip of some of my work. I'm currently working on a simple WC 1 animation using some of the models I've recently created. If you like what you see I'd be happy to design sort of an intro or such for you. My email address is Daniel.goodwin@mchsi.com

Eder said:

What about the UE guys? I found their cutscenes quite good.

The UE stuff was done by Rylex, I think. I contacted him a while ago about some animations, but it didn't work out because of trouble animating human figures. He also seemed like a pretty busy guy, but I think I can try asking him again for the main campaign cutscenes (can't think of anything in the prologue that doesn't have human figures and deserves FMV'ing).

Maj.Striker said:
Eder, I'm interested somewhat in animations. Whether or not I'm any good is a subject of relative debate.
Hmm, can you do decent looking planets, explosions, exploding planets, and some basic animation for human figures (walking, looking, pointing, sitting, standing up)?

You can email me any samples you have which show off any of the above things at standoff@solsector.net (just please try to keep the file small). Ships are no problem since I'd obviously provide you with those... explosions and human animations are the major issues here.

Iceblade said:
very shiny, they must clean and hot wax those bays every 2 days for that sharp of a reflection :D
Hey, just because the carrier is supposed to be a deathtrap doesn't mean people can't get emotionally attached to it. :)

Eder said:
Hey, just because the carrier is supposed to be a deathtrap doesn't mean people can't get emotionally attached to it. :)

It was a complement on the great detail in the picture, but I don't see why anyone would want to clean the walls of a hangar bay so much that you could eat off of it. :D

Mechanic: BOB! Why do you throw that pizza all over the wall. I just cleaned the wall this morning, now I will have to lick it off.

Back