Scenario

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
Senario

Hello.:)

Standoff is in a very importand age of the WC universe.A peace treaty from the Kilrathi is offered.The Front line fleets are withdrawing and some months of piece come.

I always had a theory,about the Wc2-Wc3 technological gap.The Wc3 ships (1 year after the end of SO2) are much much more advanced,they have better shields,armor,more missles,more decoys etc.I thought that this happened cause of these "piece" months....Both sides had the time to prepare better.The Kilrathi constracted new Cap Ships,improved their ships,made the new generation assymetric :)D ),while Confed improved their fighters/old Carriers (Victory!).

Why am I saying that? I want to make a suggestion.If you could just put for example to your fighters,more decoys after the Prologue missions,just to make them look more Wc3 like...

Maybe it sounds stupid,I dunno I wanted to say that :D

if you remember in FA, there was a construction halt. now, yes, that just means no new ships were built, but given jamison's "dislike" for the military, i'm pretty sure that any new R&D (that she knew about) would fall under the no construction ban. the same for upgrading the fleet. remember the quote "the war is over!"

Aries is right... the Kilrathi were preparing their fleet, but the Terran government was making all sorts of cuts in military funding... That's why ships were being mothballed, pilots were getting extended shore leaves, and etc.

In fact, the main campaign in Standoff starts out taking everyone by surprise... the player is returning from a patrol when he receives news about the truce ending, and then the TCS Firekka is supposed to run like hell so it can reach the Third Fleet before the first encounter with the Kilrathi (at Warsaw). In the first few missions, the Firekka doesn't even have a full fighter compliment, and the pilot roster isn't full either... so I doubt they had time to worry about decoys before leaving :)

On a more gameplay-related note, though, it makes sense to give few decoys to all ships in Standoff... since they only have a few missiles as well.

--Eder

Hell no, they'll have limited missiles too - we don't want the Kilrathi to win, do we? :)

--Eder

The thing I loved about WC1/WC2 was that even in victory there was failiure, retreat, loss. Every single WC1/WC2 game and expansions ended on a "Great, but..." note, never a complete victory. You win on a front, but loose or retreat on 2-3 others. I say let the Kilrathi win ! Don't forget that by the the time history gets to WC3, confed's war effort is becoming desperate, so every victory in Standoff should be partial.

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
...so every victory in Standoff should be partial.

That's the idea... How do you think I came up with a name for this mod? :p

--Eder

Well,Im aware of all these Aries and Eder.....I just said that trying to close the gap between the Wc2 and Wc3 ships....there is only 1 year after (SO2-Wc3) and there are dramatical changes !

New, stronger, materials were discovered for armour. I assume this forced R&D into some sort of frantic push to find compensating weapons and other technologies. The weapons jump isn't really that big, actually... Take a look at the Gun Chart. They aren't tiny improvements, but they aren't insane either.

I'll also point out that we know at least some (and probably most) of the asymetrical ships existed before that period.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Armada there are Asymmetric types of Kilrathi Ships.But not before.Some of the Armada Kilrathi ships look like they are from a new generation of Kilrathi Fighters.The Wc3 kilrathi ships/capships too.

I have studied the chart before.What bothers me is the improvement of the Missles/Countermesoures.The tactics have changed

No, we know the angled style was around earlier, as the Dralthi mk VII was around circa the Academy game, and the one that shows up in Wing Commander 3 is the Mark IV.

There's also the fact that a similar style of ship is seen in the Academy TV show...

Well....I cant remember ......from what source are these??

Anwyway,in the Academy series Im 100% there is no Angled Kilrathi Fighter.......

The only Slight Assymetric Cap Ship is the Thrakkath`s Flagship Dreadnought which is similar to the Cruiser of Wc3

From the Academy box...

That cruiser style ship would indeed be the ship that comes to mind. If we see instances of angled and asymetric ships before Armada, there's no reason to believe more couldn't have existed during the time period.

Well,you are right,I just dont .......em actually believe that we can use canon from WCAcademy or WCmovie,it comes very complicated then.......Anyway ;)

Even if you decide to ignore those sources, which I personally think is a stupid idea, you still have the fact that the WC3 Dralthi is older (by a number of revisions) than one simulated at the Academy around the time of Wing Commander 2.

I dont understand that.....in the WCAcademy there are no Dralthis.....Sorry,maybe I missunderstood or something..can you explain?

The box, my friend, look at the box. The targeting information of the ship the box is flying (tee hee) identifies the Dralthi on the cover as Dralthi Mk VII, IIRC. The box is a picture of a simulator. Therefore the Dralthi Mk VII was simulated at the Academy (I assume, in different machines, or somesuch) during the time the game took place.

OK ! Dont get angry, I understand now what you are saying.
But there are also mistakes in the Novels/Games artwork.You cant actually based there.....

OK ,we shouldnt argue anymore.Let it go ;)

Back