Save Stargate SG-1!!!

Beckmen

Captain
If you've never seen the show, WATCH IT! SciFi is currently showing new episode at 9PM on Friday nights. Check your local listings. Whenever possible, watch it LIVE, don't DVR it. Watch and support Stargate: Atlantis as well, it's also a great show.

Also, sign this petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/index.html

This is an awesome show that I have been a die-hard fan of since the pilot aired over a decade ago. The show has new life and a whole new enemy, and it should not be allowed to end yet.

Online petitions have a history of not working.

SG-1 has had a long run, let it go with dignity.

If this was Season 8, you'd kind of have a point. But the show has taken a new direction, with new characters, a new enemy, ect. It's very much like another spin-off instead of just another season.

As for petitions. Can't hurt, can it? Didn't petitions have some part in Serenity and Family Guy being brought back?

Ya know Beckman, I've been watching SG-1 for awhile now, and it's a good show, but LeHah's right, the show had a good run, let it go in dignity.

Beckmen said:
As for petitions. Can't hurt, can it? Didn't petitions have some part in Serenity and Family Guy being brought back?

Both those shows were brought back more because of surprisingly high DVD sales. Nothing bolsters fandom more than the spending wallet - so when those shows suddenly did well after-the-fact, the investors saw there actually was a market for it. Futurama has been revitalized for exactly the same reason.

Petitions just so happened to be in circulation because the internet is known for whiny droves of people who want to put minimal effort into what they enjoy. If you really wanted to petition it - start writing snailmail to the Sci-Fi channel.

Let it go......

I have been a huge fan of Stargate SG-1 since the beginning. In fact I have a picture of me and my kids with Amanda Tapping on my desk here now (I know, what a geek :) ). I have to say the show had a great run but it has diminished greatly in the last two seasons. Perhaps it was caused by Richard Dean Anderson leaving the show. Or perhaps not. Regardless, the show is becoming repetitive. Same stuff, different enemy. The show achieved the milestone of being the longest running Scifi TV series in history. Let's not let it drag down any further. Let it rest on its laurels and go out on a high note. On that note, I'll go now and watch the earlier seasons that I have on DVD. :D

Gunslinger2 said:
I Perhaps it was caused by Richard Dean Anderson leaving the show. Or perhaps not.

I think this was a big factor. I wasn't a huge fan of SG1 even though I definitely enjoyed watching the occassional episode when I got the opportunity but I think that Richard Dean Anderson sort of embodied that show. Without him on it, the show seemed to be missing a vital link.

I think... I think it wound down, but I enjoyed the last two seasons so I won't complain.

So many shows are cancelled because the quality dropped to a ridiculously poor level, I think SG-1 did well keeping the quality up but it felt "spent" regardless of that fact. 10 seasons is actually what the producers almost jokingly claimed they wanted to see the series run to 6 or 7 years ago, and it hit that. Anything more would seem wrong.

Atlantis I'm enjoying immensley, lots of SG-1 rip off episodes, hell even the concept is to a large extent but... it has an energy that really works for it, likeable characters and it explores a lot of interesting consequences of the scenerio (no matter how cheesy).

I'm surprised given the success of SG-1 and BSG (don't even wanna hear the bitching about that show ;)) that there haven't been more entries into sci-fi lately.

Pedro said:
So many shows are cancelled because the quality dropped to a ridiculously poor level, I think SG-1 did well keeping the quality up but it felt "spent" regardless of that fact.

I'll go one step further with that and say that the show should leave on a fairly positive note if it were to finish it's self this season. A lot of people remain faithful to the show and it hasn't turned into the embarassing novelty that The X-Files turned into a little more half way through it's run.

Best to end on a positive note, you know?

Agreed LeHah, except I actually got frustrated with the X-files by about mid-season 3. Still, around the time they replaced david duchovny with the T-1000 I saw a few episodes and it seemed improved for a time. Mr Duchovny was definately no RDA ;)

I'd be willing to bet there will be more Stargate movies somewhere down the line if the series gets cancelled - which would be rather cool because I can't think of anything negative to say about Stargate.

McGruff said:
I'd be willing to bet there will be more Stargate movies somewhere down the line if the series gets cancelled.

This was opted - and later canceled - a number of years ago. It kind of went under the radar because we were in the midst of Star Wars Prequel fandom.

Now that the Star Wars prequels and SG-1 are over, maybe another Stargate movie can be done. It would be interesting.

TheFraix said:
A Stargate movie? About what?

I don't think the SG-1 movie was opted long enough for anyone to leak any script ideas - if there even was a movie opted in the first place. What was said was that it would be the SG-1 cast and that it would take place between seasons. This was between 2000 and 2002 - the article on Space.com has seemingly disappeared though.

Originally, Stargate was supposed a movie trilogy - blasted studio execs put the axe to it.

Yeah - if you'll notice from watching the movie and the series, there are some major differences in the series than what was stated in the movie. In the movie, the dude was the last of his kind (I only call him/her/it 'dude' because I can't remember the character's name right now); but now there's suddenly more of them. If I remember right, in the movie, they could only go to that certain planet because the stargate system only links two stargates together; if they want to go to another planet, they need to find another stargate connected to that planet. Not so in the series.

Not saying it's a bad series, but it does differ quite a bit from the movie. A movie that was original and excellent. It's been said several times, but it's right - let the series die with its dignity intact. Don't let it go to hell before they decide to axe it.

Crazy J,

Yeah, they did a bit of retcon and rewriting to make a series viable...but then did a heck of a job getting a good storyline and cast together

Ten years for a series like SG1 is good enough. It was fun while it lasted but I think:

IT'S OVER! (nsert crappy strongbad voice).

Its more than just the show running so long. Much of the same filming and production crews share time with Atlantis, and its a huge drag on resources, those guys are working.

They had thrown out rumors of a movie, or another spin off series. And, that friday timeslot would be pretty good to put another first rate Sci-Fi show on.

Back