Saga Beta Expands to Full Game (February 8, 2012)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
There's a new look inside WC Saga's beta test. The team reports that there have been many iterations of the beta and they are now starting to test missions in the later portions of the game. There have also been issues with capship positioning and audio recently, but these bugs are being worked through.

We're almost there! The beta testing has been a long process for the testers and for the team but we can all see the end of this very long road. With ten years of development behind some of the team members this is an incredible project coming to fruition.

I have described in earlier reports that the beta testers have not had access to the entire campaign but rather we have tested the missions in the same order that players will experience when the project is complete. After 15 beta versions we have now arrived at a content complete beta test and testers are working hard beta testing the final missions.

Here's just a few of the bugs that we've been able to identify and eliminate:

* A Kilrathi raiding party arrives with several capital ships. In one instance two capital ships arrive on the same trigger and appear inside of each other. The triggers were changed and now they arrive separately. Much to the relief of the Kilrathi!
* In another mission the player receives a message to protect a Confed capital ship, however, if the ship is already lost the sound file is still played. Problem solved.
* A missing voice over causes a bug in the message line up resulting in some dialogue continuing over an autopilot sequence. Voice over files found and problem solved!

There is a definite buzz and a sense that something special is really starting to come together as we test the final missions of the campaign where the story comes to its epic conclusion. More missions are green lit and problems are found and solved.

It takes many years of serious work and commitment to get to this point and there will be more time and serious work to come. I think it will be all worth it. Stay tuned for more updates in the near future!

--
Original update published on February 8, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this will end the quarrel finally..

I'm not sure which quarrel you're referring to, but this post does give a bit more clarity than the last few on where they are at in the test (some people had been thinking they were close to wrapping that up). At the rate their current beta has been going, it seems like they could conclude this test maybe around the third or fourth quarter of 2012.

At the rate their current beta has been going, it seems like they could conclude this test maybe around the third or fourth quarter of 2012.

Tolwyn actually said, that they plan to release it in march. I hope, they can get it out in 2012, it does look quite nice :).

I'm not sure which quarrel you're referring to, but this post does give a bit more clarity than the last few on where they are at in the test (some people had been thinking they were close to wrapping that up). At the rate their current beta has been going, it seems like they could conclude this test maybe around the third or fourth quarter of 2012.

I meant the Standoff Vs. Saga quarrel / rivalry ;)

Tolwyn actually said, that they plan to release it in march. I hope, they can get it out in 2012, it does look quite nice :).

That'd be great, although that also seems unlikely, unless they're planning to test the later stages of their game much less than the beginning and middle.

I meant the Standoff Vs. Saga quarrel / rivalry ;)
Let's be clear about this - there was only ever friendly rivalry, never any kind of quarrel (I think I explained all this in the other thread :p ). The two teams even occasionally exchanged assets and the like. Each side certainly wanted to outdo the other, but this does not mean any kind of hostility. And I doubt you'll find anyone on the Standoff team who wouldn't want Saga to now publish something amazing, way, way beyond Standoff.

Let's be clear about this - there was only ever friendly rivalry, never any kind of quarrel (I think I explained all this in the other thread :p ). The two teams even occasionally exchanged assets and the like. Each side certainly wanted to outdo the other, but this does not mean any kind of hostility. And I doubt you'll find anyone on the Standoff team who wouldn't want Saga to now publish something amazing, way, way beyond Standoff.

Right. We're not the kind of community that promotes division. There might be some bad blood here and there, but it's between people, not projects.

Anyone who says "Standoff vs Saga" in the sense of refusing to play one or the other is an utter fool. Playing another great Wing Commander fan project with so much love put into it would be the best thing to happen to this community, short of another official creative work.

When it comes down to it, we all just want to play, read, watch and talk about Wing Commander.

Back