Running Privateer/rf/armada/pg In Windows: Howto

Latest DOSBox CVS Source which will be eventually available from http://rdu.dk plays Privateer CD pretty much 100% fine. For me at least and the biggest bug for me was the Intro hang during a DMA switch over but now we're good. :)

Once our forums get setup good and my webserver gets back together again you'll be able to get it. Just watch the above link.
DOSBox just keeps getting better. We even have fairly "stable" Windows 3.1 Enhanced Mode w/ 256 COLOR Emulation :). Thanks to Canadacow and Qbix.

Gotta love those DOSBox boys. :)
Over and out. You're Clear for landing. :-p
/Ieremiou

Need Priv help

I just was lucky enough to find this forum because privateer was giving me an ems driver message. I set ems=false and it started up, however, once the joystick (my microsoft sidewinder gamepad) was calibrated it gave me the following:

'Memory: Original Current Used
'NEAR 29516 28986 530
'FAR 376252 341020 35232
'HIGH 3456384 3495840 -39456

Fatal error.

Error Code: D002-FFFF
Program halted by code.
JEMM unloaded.

I also upped my cycle speeds as per one of the replies, but it did no good. They are set at 7500;500;500 and were 3000;500;20 before if I remember correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think DOSBox might have some problems with gameport joysticks/gamepads. It can handle the USB stuff fairly easily I think.

My microsoft gamepad is USB. I'm getting frustrated because privateer is a really great game, and I haven't played it since I had a 486. I'll take all the help I can get on this one guys.

I have the same problems on a real PC P200MMX with 64MB RAM and Win98/DOS6.22.

dosbox trouble on priv 1

:confused:
Hi all,
Been reading thru these threads off and on for several weeks. Tried to get an old 200 mhz Compaq to run priv 1 under 6.22. tried everything I could find on here, and elsewhere but to no avail. Now because main pc died on Christmas day (old Compaq was not my main box..) I bought a prop box (HP 2.9 celeron) and am trying to get Dosbox .063 to run it.

Error message is D002-FFFF
Have already turned ems to false.
Changed frame rates
Fullsize screen to true
Left memsize on 16
cycles = 7500
cycleup=500
cycledown =500

still same error
can't give up yet.....
Privateer was the best game I've ever played no matter how crazy my wife thinks I am for trying to get it running again...
Thanks for any assistance in advance

Hey guys. I think i've stumbled onto something relating to the Error code: D002-FFFF .

This error message indicates that there is a problem with your sound card configuration. Run the INSTALL program again and select NO sound and NO music. Run the game again and see if you can get past the error message. If you can get past the error message with Sound and Music turned OFF, then you will need to run the install program again to set your sound up a second time. Be sure to know the proper address, IRQ and DMA values for your sound card before you install the game again. Incorrect IRQ values can cause this error message as well

Hope this helps....

Thanks Gcloak
I'll give it a try,
running a prop machine..also have a buddy who has an old 486 dx he is supposed to supply me somday... hope it's for real. i miss this game sorely..

wiffle

Hey guys.. I've just beaten Privateer I and Privateer: Righteous Fire in 2 days :-p I'm trying to play Privateer 2, however, I'm having some issues with the game. It just runs tooo slow in dosbox. I've messed with the cycle times.. but it doesn't seem to help... much... Is there any ways i can allocate more memmory so the game runs smoothly in dosbox? I used the following for my cycles:

core=normal
cycles=7500
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

I have a pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB of Ram. 1 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, running on windows XP home. Any suggestions? Thanks Guys!

Memory shouldn't be the problem. Monitor the cpu usage in task manager, I bet it's near 100%. To get decent performance you really need to use dynamic core. But it's sometimes unstable and some games will not start with it. On my page (click the signature) you will find latest cvs version (speed is always improving, luckily) with a patch that allows you to change the cores on the fly. You can then start the game with normal core and than switch to dynamic and up the cycles when the game is slow.

Using Joystick in DOSBOX and Armada

I am using XP got most everything running in either DOSBOX or XP from WC to Prophecy. (have not done P2 yet, next project). The only one I can't figure out is the Joystick in Armada, has anyone been successful? We all know USB won't work but how about a analog GAMEPORT Joystick in DOSBOX?

finally got it to run..sort of...

Finally got dosbox .063 to run priv 1. With music. Buuuut it won't run speech. wondered if anyone had an idea about this. Gives me the old D002-FFFF error when I try to run it with speech. I know my pc says that the irq is 17 for the sound card. And Privateer doesn't go that high on it's list. I tried the default on everything and that didn't work either. I did have to move music card to Adlib to make it work. Just wondering if anybody has ideas. I havn't put the analog joystick on yet. Running 2.9 celeron 256 ram xp home....
Thanks in advance :cool:

Vengeance said:
I am using XP got most everything running in either DOSBOX or XP from WC to Prophecy. (have not done P2 yet, next project). The only one I can't figure out is the Joystick in Armada, has anyone been successful? We all know USB won't work but how about a analog GAMEPORT Joystick in DOSBOX?

Actually it is the reverse for DOSBOX. USB sticks should work while analog ones have problems...

wiffle said:
Finally got dosbox .063 to run priv 1. With music. Buuuut it won't run speech. wondered if anyone had an idea about this. Gives me the old D002-FFFF error when I try to run it with speech. I know my pc says that the irq is 17 for the sound card. And Privateer doesn't go that high on it's list. I tried the default on everything and that didn't work either. I did have to move music card to Adlib to make it work. Just wondering if anybody has ideas. I havn't put the analog joystick on yet. Running 2.9 celeron 256 ram xp home....
Thanks in advance :cool:

I found that when i installed the speech pack. i got the error as well. Do the same thing though for when you installed Privateer (I ended up playing all of privateer without the speech pack... :'().. Install speech pack with NO sound and NO music (i know.. oxymoron..). then run the game in dosbox. It should load. THEN, go back and install the speech pack using the same settings you used to get sound (if it was Adlib before, then keep it on Adlib...) if that D002-FFFF error comes up again, you have to install the speech pack with NO sound and NO music again.. run the game.. and then if it loads properly, go back and select different sound/music card settings.. I know.. it may get tiresome, but hey, only way i can think of.... Btw.. i'm using a Microsoft Force Beedback2 USB Joy... it works fine...

gulikoza said:
Memory shouldn't be the problem. Monitor the cpu usage in task manager, I bet it's near 100%. To get decent performance you really need to use dynamic core. But it's sometimes unstable and some games will not start with it. On my page (click the signature) you will find latest cvs version (speed is always improving, luckily) with a patch that allows you to change the cores on the fly. You can then start the game with normal core and than switch to dynamic and up the cycles when the game is slow.

Thanks bud.. I"ll give it a try later when i've got spare time :) I'll let you know how it works guys.. gimme about a week or two :-p (work + school + college parties = lack of comp. game time)

wiffle said:
Finally got dosbox .063 to run priv 1. With music. Buuuut it won't run speech. wondered if anyone had an idea about this. Gives me the old D002-FFFF error when I try to run it with speech. I know my pc says that the irq is 17 for the sound card. And Privateer doesn't go that high on it's list.
Programs running in DOSbox don't use your actual soundcard. They use an emulated soundcard provided by DOSbox. In other words, it doesn't matter what IRQ your sound card uses, it matters which pretend IRQ the pretend DOSbox soundcard uses. And that, IIRC is 7. (or maybe 5).

Set it to 7 (or 5 if that doesn't work) and you should get sound. Or at least have a better chance at it.

Slow Privateer

I'm running a machine that runs at 400mhz overclocked and uses windowsXP professional. I have the latest version of dosbox. I can get Privateer 1 to run, but it is just too choppy/sluggish. What would you recommend I do to the config to help it run more smoothly, or anything else for that matter. Thank you.

No way in heck will a 400 mhz machine ever run Privateer smoothly in DOSbox I'm afraid. Your best bet is a windows 98 partition or DOS or something.

i am such a newbie

Ghostcloak said:
I found that when i installed the speech pack. i got the error as well. Do the same thing though for when you installed Privateer (I ended up playing all of privateer without the speech pack... :'().. Install speech pack with NO sound and NO music (i know.. oxymoron..). then run the game in dosbox. It should load. THEN, go back and install the speech pack using the same settings you used to get sound (if it was Adlib before, then keep it on Adlib...) if that D002-FFFF error comes up again, you have to install the speech pack with NO sound and NO music again.. run the game.. and then if it loads properly, go back and select different sound/music card settings.. I know.. it may get tiresome, but hey, only way i can think of.... Btw.. i'm using a Microsoft Force Beedback2 USB Joy... it works fine...

Thank you my good man. i will try that. Except that I was unaware there was a separate speechpack. Is this a separate download for Dosbox or are you refering to the default from the cdrom? i had read something about this in a few of the threads but I thought that was only in the remake version. I been out of touch for too long. I did purchase a usb joystick today which seems to work well and other than speech and weapon sounds (that's what i really miss..) it seems to work quite well... (sure is fun blasting retro's again after 10 years away from the last time I played it!...)
by the way. No matter how many times it goofs up with speech installed, If I uninstall it (the speech .. ) and leave the music alone, it plays everytime.. Thanks again for your response....

I'll give it a try...

MamiyaOtaru said:
Programs running in DOSbox don't use your actual soundcard. They use an emulated soundcard provided by DOSbox. In other words, it doesn't matter what IRQ your sound card uses, it matters which pretend IRQ the pretend DOSbox soundcard uses. And that, IIRC is 7. (or maybe 5).

Set it to 7 (or 5 if that doesn't work) and you should get sound. Or at least have a better chance at it.

So don't futz with the dma or or other settings other than trying to get IRQ's 5 or 7 to work from the different cards listed, right? I know I read it emulates SB 16, but i believe I had already tried that but I will again...(must of this experimentation has been past my bedtime, so who knows what buttons I'm punching...!)
Thanks..At least I'm playing again... Met my first Kilrathi this eve....They are still tough for old birds.....(cats..)
Thanks

Back