Revised ships

Nomad Terror

Rear Admiral
Ships that appear in one game only to reappear in a later game in a different form with no revision noted (the Rapier's cosmetic changes can be explained that it was just changed through various revisions), are we to pretend that it looked that way all along or that it is actually a different ship/revision of said ship?

Most notably (and really the only ones I am thinking of right now) are the Salthi and Drayman in Privateer. They look similar enough to the WC1 versions (Salthi much more so than the Drayman, although the Drayman has certain design characteristics that carried through) but different enough to be new ship designs.

Now that I think about it, all of the Kilrathi designs from Privateer were kind of like that.

Oh, use a little imagination. Jeez. As resolutions increased and game engines got more advanced, Origin made things look better. You can still tell what it is, right? Then that's what counts.

I'm not quite sure you understood...

I'm not complaining either way about how it looked or looks. I'm just asking if we are pretending that the Salthi and Drayman and Kamekh (being somewhat shorter) looked that way all along ever since WC1/2...

The Salthi (and Dralthi) in Privateer look just like the Salthi (and Dralthi) in Super Wing Commander. Meditate on this and consider whether you really want your question answered. :)

(There are no lengths in the Privateer documentation, so the Kamkeh can't be shorter...)

Oops

The dimensional proportions seem different I meant. If the wingspans were the same then the Privateer one would be shorter...

Eh, proportionately they're pretty similar. I rendered 400 pixel tall versions of each Kamekh... and the difference in width between the two ships ended up being only five pixels:

kamekh1.jpg

kamekh2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be pretty interesting if the Drayman was that large organic looking thing all along. Although it's possible that Drayman isn't the name of the class of ship but rather a specific role that Confed's favorite corvette-sized cargo transportation vehicle at the time happens to fill.

Yeah I thought it was funny as hell that they made the Drayman Transport into THE SIVAR DREADNOUGHT in Super Wing Commander. I fell over laughing when i saw it.

Your shpi identification skills could use some practice.

swc-sivar.jpg

priv-drayman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F4U Corsair said:
Nah I just like these pictures you post. Heh

They look about as similar as the Behemoth and a Kamekh. How you got "Yeah I thought it was funny as hell that they made the Drayman Transport into THE SIVAR DREADNOUGHT in Super Wing Commander" from it, I don't know.

Back