Requesting correct Model-Credits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope this doesn't start a mod war... I've already seen what that does (Half-Life mods... so many memories, so many pissed off modders... so much copied crap that was beta material)...

*ahem*

Sorry, I'll just say that I don't want war in the forums.

No one wants to start a mod-war here. As I said above, the form of this entire thing, and the words I've choosen weren't very suitable for this matter, and I'm sorry for that. I could have done that in a more diplomatic way.

Tolwyn << this is a response to your response that came after my first one

"you have no idea what you are talking about. Everyone's work will be credited in the mods documentation, when it will come out (in some cases, however, model's origin is unknown)."

not sure if you meant that for me, since i sorta said that too...
"and as far as i can tell, he intends to credit everyone when the time comes."
but it seemed like it was. in any case, i'm sure you'll credit wherever you can. no biggie.
my _only_ beef was starman hounding for work-in-progress credits before he fixes his own. it's just a do-onto-others-as-others-do-onto-you issue.

anyways, about the WDMDF stuff, i've emailed you a couple times about it (years ago). i also emailed matthew since back when he was running it. nobody bothered fixing things, and i gave up maybe a year ago. basically a few of the wcmdf models are credited wrong.

arrow : haroldthemadcow, should be - mesh:scheherazade skin:haroldthemadcow
thunderbolt:scheherazade, should be - mesh:scheherazade skin:haroldthemadcow
darket : mesh:scheherazade skin:haroldthemadcow, should be mesh:scheherazade skin:scheherazade
dralthi : mesh:scheherazade skin:haroldthemadcow, should be mesh:scheherazade skin:scheherazade
paktahn : mesh:scheherazade skin:haroldthemadcow, should be mesh:scheherazade skin:scheherazade
strakha : mesh:scheherazade skin:haroldthemadcow, should be mesh:scheherazade skin:scheherazade
vaktoth : mesh:scheherazade skin:haroldthemadcow, should be mesh:scheherazade skin:scheherazade

the sorthak is the only one credited right out of the lot i sent to wcmdf.
i'm not pressing for a fix right away or anything like that. just responding to :
"If something is not correct there or on my WC3D website, feel free to contact me."
, and i know you're reading this. so those are the corrections that i know about. i donno if there are any others. those are just things i was involved in w/ wojtek (haroldthemadcow).

i donno about the wallpapers, since they aren't on your site. (they might be somewhere in the forums, i dono)
i just checked the web site credits at the time that starman made his post.
at that time, there were no proper credits, given what was presented on the site.
for example:
screenshots : (some models were all by me, some are just my mesh)
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/wcsaga/images/artworks/hellcat.jpg
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/wcsaga/images/artworks/Paktahn1.jpg
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/wcsaga/images/artworks/Thud.jpg
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/wcsaga/images/artworks/Vaktoth.jpg
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/wcsaga/images/artworks/Dalth.jpg

keep in mind i have _no_ issues with anyone using these, and the issue for me is not about these used without crediting me. it's just reciprocity.

the thing is, at the time starman is pressing reckoning for credits, saga is presenting itself with uncredited art.
you possibly don't use that art anymore, but the fact remains that at least for some time, saga was. and nobody was pressing saga for credits. (because, as i said, i don't care if you use the models. i'm flattered if you do, actually.)

and as far as saga is presenting itself today (via the website), it is still using those models, without credits.

starman << i hope you understand why i thought your post was personally insulting. you griping to reckoning about their use of your models without credit, while you use mine without credit, is simply wrong.

if you had some agreement with reckoning about them no longer using your models after tolwyn leaves, then i totally support you in getting them to stick to their agreement.

but understand, it is _very_ rude to demand credit, while you don't give credit yourself. and i took it as a personal flaw of your character to do so. that is why my response was rough. if you had credits for all of your models (as presented on the site, as far as people know (at least those who don't read your forums religiously watching for every wallpaper)) when you posted this, i would have not been bothered at all. it's simply an issue of fairness. like the proverb : read a book before you try to teach others. (don't take that as me saying you don't read... it's just the situation that i'm expressing).

-scheherazade

p.s.
i'm done with this thread.
i don't wanna irritate anyone.
just had to give my 2c, where to me it mattered.

saga team << good job. great mod. looking forward to it. and i appreciate your continued work and conviction. i mean that sincerely.

-scheherazade

This is funny as hell.

Unless you're sending out unsolicited models to random people, somone obviously asked if your models could be used or The Reckoning wouldn't have them.

The alternative being that those jerks have been breaking into your houses and stealing all your wonderful modelling goodness :mad:

It's really stupid to bitch about people not asking to use your models when there's not really any other way they could have gotten them. As you guys keep saying, they haven't been released to the public. A two sentence email could have easily addressed any issues regarding forgotten or misplaced credits.

i still say its a case of indian giving (no offense intended to anyone) despite all the stuff. if the models were given (despite your attempt at justifying this rediculous response tolwyn) then it was agreement for them to be used. textures, whatever. they're not you're damn models, you didnt design them. Origin did. if someone uses my models and doesnt credit me, fine, don't care. i'm not the ORIGINAL artist. get a life guys.

Brad Mick

TC said:
Unless you're sending out unsolicited models to random people, somone obviously asked if your models could be used or The Reckoning wouldn't have them. [...] It's really stupid to bitch about people not asking to use your models when there's not really any other way they could have gotten them. As you guys keep saying, they haven't been released to the public.
TC wrapped up the whole issue pretty nicely there. With that, I don't see this discussion going anywhere but down the crapper - with fan projects' reputations attached to it.

gevatter Lars said:
You don't know how close you might be......

Oh my! That's very ominous! I'm glad you backed up your incredibly insulting statement with facts instead of resorting to pointless drama!

heh heh, especially since its so easy to hop a plane and fly to foreign countries and break into peoples homes and all.

Brad Mick

It's a shame we're only hearing about this now -- they should have reported it when it happened, then the police could have taken in Bob and prevented his mod from being released alltogether.

Oh dear, I just noticed this affront to justice!

Bandit LOAF said:
You have moderator rights at the Saga board, not the Reckoning board. The only thing the two projects have in common is a broken Concordia model.

Closing the thread is up to the Freelancer mod guys -- the ones you people attacked in the first place. (After all, they have yet to even comment on this mess.)

You horrible Forum-Dicatator! You won't get away with this usurping of others' power to fuck around with random unaffiliated forums! You and your fascist monkeys won't get away with this!

hellcatv said:
amen LOAF :)

FASCIST MONKEY!

You horrible Forum-Dicatator! You won't get away with this usurping of others' power to fuck around with random unaffiliated forums! You and your fascist monkies won't get away with this!

I apologize.

(Of course, I had to apologize... I never liked that communitiy over there, but that really does is! (sic))

Bandit LOAF said:
(Of course, I had to apologize... I never liked that communitiy over there, but that really does is! (sic))

Damn you!

I never met a bigger ****head than this bandit loaf in my whole life :mad:

*sigh* I thought I was a pathetic descendant of monkeys!

now I'm a pathetic descendant of fascist monkeys!

Will the injustice stop? First Darwin now Hitler!

(Aside: For those with a lack of humor, this post was made in jest... Darwin rocks!)

oh....and who the fuck said i have your models? no. no i don't. so, quit saying i do damnit. if i need a concordia model, i'll make her myself.

Brad Mick

Bandit LOAF said:
You have moderator rights at the Saga board, not the Reckoning board. The only thing the two projects have in common is a broken Concordia model.

And how do you know this? I kept this project alive, when everyone else abandoned it. Strangely, noone seems to remember this. There would be simply no reckoning mod now without work done by Acid and me. So don't tell me, I have/had nothing to do with the project.

I want to point one of many serious 3d portals out, which many of you seem to ignore: SciFi3D. It does not matter who created the original model, each model belongs to its creator. The only difference is, that it is not of original design, therefor any commercial use would be prohibited by law.

http://scifi3d.theforce.net/

And now I will shut up. :rolleyes:

And how do you know this? I kept this project alive, when everyone else abandoned it. Strangely, noone seems to remember this. There would be simply no reckoning mod now without work done by Acid and me. So don't tell me, I have/had nothing to do with the project.

How do I know that you didn't moderate this board? I'M THE GUY WHO SETS THE MODERATOR RIGHTS. Stop digging yourself a bigger hole. Your mod team owes the whole community a legitimate apology for this mess, not this "but but but THEY WERE MEAN TO ME AND I HATE THEM! AND I HATE YOU ALL!" crap.

I want to point one of many serious 3d portals out, which many of you seem to ignore: SciFi3D. It does not matter who created the original model, each model belongs to its creator. The only difference is, that it is not of original design, therefor any commercial use would be prohibited by law.

I think I already pointed out that I don't care how a 'serious 3d portal' does it -- this is the Wing Commander community, not some third rate bulletin board. We do things *right*.

(And, besides, I doubt one of "SciFi3D"s rules about 'original work' (defined as work copied from someone else, apparently) is 'if someone else releases a better mod than me, complain like a child in public about it.')

Tolwyn said:

http://scifi3d.theforce.net/

And now I will shut up. :rolleyes:

I've not ignored SciFi3d...I've been to their site many times but thanks for posting the link anyway. Your statement is a bit confusing but I think you mean to say: "It doesn't matter who created the original design each 3d model belongs to the person who modelled it in a 3d program." (Correct me if I'm misinterpreting your statement).

That's wrong though...it absolutely does matter who originally created the design. Lucasarts owns the copyrights to the Tiefighter, Star Destroyer, X-wing et all...if I create a 3d model of a Tie Fighter, yes I made the model but I can't use it publicly unless I have Lucasarts' permission because the design is theirs. No, they didn't make that model but its not mine to use freely without their permission. Fortunately for most 3d modellers, Lucasarts, Paramount, Origin etc have taken a pretty loose stance on these issues as they understand our desires as fans. They aren't concerned as long as no one is making serious money off the models. If for some reason people suddenly paid you $1MM for your Tie fighter model then you can bet Lucasart's lawyer will be knocking on your door (Its kinda funny, I actually know her).

Additionally, as Loaf has said, the CIC is not "some other community." So posting links to another website(s) isn't going to firm up your case.

More hilarious comments, forwarded from our friends at Saga:

I haven't expected this kind of reaction, but as Loaf said, this community is different to the others. But I really doubt that it is "smarter" - Starman

Now I would like to send 2 bombs to the USA....
I think we should realy stop bothering with CIC for some time...I have allready placed a note on my screen "Don't post at CIC"
- Lars

That's right -- they hate other Wing Commander mods to the point of physically threatening them.

Good job, Saga. You somehow managed to turn what should have been a simple e-mail correction into the most embarassing PR disaster I've ever seen. Better bring Psych back to clean this up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back