Relive the Classic 486 Experience With Marco (April 20, 2022)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Italian YouTuber MARCO PLAYS DOS GAMES has published a super fun stream of himself installing, configuring and playing the original Wing Commander. We’ve seen a few of these types of clips in recent years, and there’s something magical about getting the game running on the authentic vintage hardware. In this case, the 486/66 is a little fast for the engine, but Marco has a turbo button that slows everything down to a reasonable level. I really like how much he pauses to enjoy things like the music aboard the Tiger’s Claw or relish his kills against the Kilrathi. He takes time to explain the emotional connection between these elements and his childhood playing the game for the first time in the early ‘90s. Good stuff!

--
Original update published on April 20, 2022

Phwoar! Remember running it on my 286/16 with 20Mhz turbo where it used to struggle in busy scenes.

Upgrading to the mighty 386/40 with the ET4000 video card was the schnizzer. Hardware is so capable these days and not a boot disc and qemm-386 in sight. Still have my CH Flightstick too.

Back