Question About Kilrathi Saga..

Naféasonto

Swabbie
Banned
I have had Kilrathi Sage since it was released. I loved it from the minute I opened it. All the pilot history and Kilrathi history and art work was very nice. Anyway yesterday I was bored and doing nothing and I just wanted to burn (copy) something of mine. I came along my Kilrathi Saga discs. I am wondering if I can put each disc on a different folder and then burn them all to a DVD. Now will the copy right protection kick in an prevent it from working, or when WC3 asks for a new disc will it not detect it's already on the disc? I am just wondering before I waste a DVD.

Nafé

I tried this and it didn't seem to work for me mostly because of the WC3 disc layouts. Each disc contains the files specific for that disc but the files are named the same so you would end up overwriting them. If you can find some way to edit the executable and change the name of the file it was particularly looking for, that might work but as I said earlier, I have been unable to get it to work. 1 DVD is far better than 5 CDs. I didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to get it to work though.

NoMention

If there was a way to make different partitions on a DVD Disc, it could be done. It would make the the illusion of different drives on the same disc, enabling the same files to be copied. Speaking of which, how was the Wing Commander 4 DVD done if it was the same "musictre" files?

Nafé

See how good DOS was? All you'd have to do would be to treat the DVD like a hard drive and put diff'rent partitions to it. Stupid Windows. :mad:

The WC4 DVD was put together by Origin and not by an individual person. They would have had to change the code of the software to make it all run from 1 DVD vice 6 CDs. You also have to consider they used high quality video on that disc and not the lower quality stuff on the CDs. Finally, I believe the DVD only works in Windows. WC4 was originally DOS with Windows support. It all amounts to a lot of programming changes. I doubt it would be easily duplicated for KS.

If I remember right, the only reason why it does not run under DOS anymore is that it's DVD with VOB-videos, which DOS can't view. - Correct me if I'm wrong here.
And gulikoza already thought about making a 2 to 4 CD version out of the DVD. So the other way (from 5 CDs to 1 DVD) might be possible, too. But honestly I do not know that much about programming and such, so no idea what was really changed in the DVD version or if something else will stop it from working etc.

A DVD writer that can do Mount Rainier should work I suppose. Mount Rainier disks are supposed to behave like HDs in all ways.

I was going to try to make a folder for each disc on the DVD-R and see what happens, but I doubt the game is intelligent enough to actually read the folders, unless I name the folders the name of the actualy DISC. But I doubt it right?

Naféasonto said:
I was going to try to make a folder for each disc on the DVD-R and see what happens, but I doubt the game is intelligent enough to actually read the folders, unless I name the folders the name of the actualy DISC. But I doubt it right?

I very much doubt that would work. The game is setup to look for certain information from the installation drive and specified sub-folders. (As is just about any game.) If the program is setup to look for file1.xyz on the root of drive E:, it is not going to look for it on E:\disc2\file1.xyz. That extra sub-directory will break it. Its too bad there is no DVD version of WC3 to be bought anywhere. I would buy it in a second.

THE_WUQKED said:
If I remember right, the only reason why it does not run under DOS anymore is that it's DVD with VOB-videos, which DOS can't view. - Correct me if I'm wrong here.

DVD WC4 is the Windows 9x version of the game. It uses DirectX calls for various things like sound and control. It wouldn't work in DOS.

DVD WC4 is the Windows 9x version of the game. It uses DirectX calls for various things like sound and control. It wouldn't work in DOS.
Thx for the correction :) Forgot that one. Guess cause I always use the Win-Patch for my DOS version ^^
But if it was only that, and vobs wouldn't matter, you would be able to patch it back to the DOS version with the original DOS files ;) - I haven't tried it out, so good chances I'm talking nonsense here again. But why should I try to do such a thing? ;)

Back