Question about GE

Odds are, no.
If one is going strictly by media put forward by Origin-affiliated sources, the GE project was a product of the Belasarius Conspiracy (described in False Colours, which I haven't quite FINISHED yet, but from what I'm seeing GE was a recent development)

HOWEVER, the GE project isn't something that is a one-shot idea; eugenics is one of humanity's favourite hobbies, and in a struggle as desperate as the Kilrathi war I'm sure there was some nut on a government grant in a backwater planet who was sure that his new formula, once it was perfected so the patient's head didn't explode, would win the war and usher in a new era of galactic dominance for humanity.

The GE project began twenty years before Wing Commander IV, according to that games novelization... so, in 2653 just before the original Wing Commander.

It is also worth to mention whether a 'few' products of the GE program were initialised during the Kilrathi War? The 2660s perhaps?

Having played WC4, I've never thought did the Black Lance warrior(s) fought in the battles or skirmishes. I'd imagined people like Seether would of needed their first taste of battle before the 'Border World' conflict so they can be prepared for real war.

Ok...another few questions...

Was Seether around in the Fleet Action era? In the GE training?

Were there Ferret prototypes (I think I spelled that wrong) in the same era?

I'd guess Seether probably WAS around back then... I recall Hawk saying that he flew with Seether during the war, which I would guess was quite a while ago.

Besides, if Seether was a product of genetic enhancement, Confed would have had to tinker with his genes at conception (or at worst in utero), therefore the program would have had to begin before his birth.

Ijuin said:
Besides, if Seether was a product of genetic enhancement, Confed would have had to tinker with his genes at conception (or at worst in utero), therefore the program would have had to begin before his birth.

I've never seen any evidence to validate that claim

No he was not cloned, but most genes have their biggest effect before birth. You could mess with the genes of an adult all you like, even swapping X and Y chromosomes, but all you will achieve is changing the levels of various substances that the body produces. If you want better organs, you have to intervene when they're being laid down.

Tolwyn said that the GE project almost mastered cloning.

Anyway about the Ferret fighter, was it around during Fleet Action? Or were there prototypes?

Once again, going back to False Colours, Seether is just going through training, according to Tolwyn. (p 205 pa. 3. That's right, I used a reference, the worst way to prove a point on Teh Intarweb) Admittedly, this could be special secret Black Lance training, but as we don't know what Seether did after the Academy, it could be that he went through the war WITHOUT GE enhancement and was only SpecOps or the like, OR he was sent to the GE training right away.

I don't remember what False Colors has to say, but WC4 has a different story - there, Hawk encounters Seether at the Academy (which could mean one of two things - either 2654-6, when Hawk was himself learning to be a pilot, or it could mean the end of the war, when Hawk was a flight instructor at the Academy).

As for Ferrets, they were around long before Fleet Action, since Fleet Action takes place after WC2. The earliest known reference to a Ferret is 2639, when Paladin was captured by the Kilrathi while flying a Ferret (according to the Confed Handbook).

The Ferret would be interesting to fly during the WC1 era--it would have all the attack power of the Scimitar (less the dumbfires), and would have more speed, shields, and armor than the Hornet (but still a bit less shields and armor than the Scim). In all it would be moderately faster and stronger than the Hornet at the expense of no dumbfires and shorter range guns.

What makes you think the Ferret would have even had mass drivers in the WC1 era, though? Weapon loadouts certainly aren't constant - just about every fighter in WC that appeared in more than one game had a different weapon loadout from game to game. Heck, the Ferret's weapon loadout changes from WC2 to SO1 (you seem to be assuming that it always had the HS missiles, but this isn't the case - originally it had no missiles at all, they were only added in the Super Ferret in SO1). For all we know, the Ferret might have originally had no guns at all... (unless the Handbook says something to the contrary - I don't remember)

The same goes for shields and armour, naturally - you only need to look as far as the Rapier II to see evidence that the WC1 Ferret would have most likely had less shields and armour than its WC2 equivalent.

Well even if it only had lasers and shields and armor as low as the Hornet, the superior speed would be interesting to play with.

Sure, but if I had to guess what the Ferret's armament was in 2654, I'd say it was a single laser at the most :). If your top-of-the-line light combat fighter carries a pair of lasers, it's pretty likely that your light patrol fighter will carry less than that.

Back