Quadrant / Sector designation

Maybe because they're mostly real places...Sirus, Proxima, and the like...

Wolf 359 was the site of the first major Federation/Borg conflict. The Borg utterly decimated the Federation armada of 40 ships, with only one survivor. That's gotta hurt...

[Edited by Nep Parth on 05-08-2001 at 18:30]

FYI: The Sol System naming convention used by scientist is ancient. All the objects in this system are named after Roman gods, except for Earth, sun, and moon. These three never had a real "official" name until a couple years ago. The names Terra, Sol ,and Luna were created to bring the three objects back into the fold with the other planets. They are, or were derived from, the ancient Roman god/name for them.

[Edited by Meson on 05-09-2001 at 03:34]

Originally posted by Nep Parth

Wolf 359 was the site of the first major Federation/Borg conflict. The Borg utterly decimated the Federation armada of 40 ships, with only one survivor. That's gotta hurt...

Not as much as in First Contact where the running battle with the Borg Cube claimed 300 Federation and Klingon ships:)

Wolf 359 is the 3rd or 4th closest star to Earth. Sirius, which was the system bombarded by Kilrathi Bio-Weapons in Fleet Action, is the closest.

Originally posted by Supdon3

Not as much as in First Contact where the running battle with the Borg Cube claimed 300 Federation and Klingon ships:) [/B]

At Wolf 359 10000 people were killed, so I doubt it could have been that much worse with the Borg Cube at First Contact (or could it?)

Anyway Wolf 359, Proxima Centauri and so on are real systems, as is Vega, so I found it rather surprising (and pleasing) that they were included on the Prophecy Map.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Originally posted by Nep Parth

Not as much as in First Contact where the running battle with the Borg Cube claimed 300 Federation and Klingon ships:)

Are you sure ?????
The Federation has better ships.and they loose many ships. ???

The Federation (+ whatever Klingon were there) did lose 39 (out of 40) ships at Wolf 359, suffering over 11,000 casualties.
The Battle at the beginning of First Contact lasted a lot longer than it seems (considering that the Enterprise had to get to Earth from the Romulan Border).
Star Fleet started the battle with approximately 300 Starships. Those you see battling the Cube around Earth when the Enterprise arrives were the only ones to survive that far.

**You may now go back to your scheduled WC topics** :D

Originally posted by LeHah
Wolf 359 is the 3rd or 4th closest star to Earth. Sirius, which was the system bombarded by Kilrathi Bio-Weapons in Fleet Action, is the closest.
Wrong. The closest star to the Earth is the Sun. :)

Really, I believe Proxima Centauri is the second closest.

I can't remember... that's what they say in the inflight speech, anyway.

I don't think Proxima Centauri is associated with the Proxima star system since there is an Alpha Centauri as well. They're part of the Southern Cross seen on the Australian flag. I used to enjoy reading about astronomy when I was younger - I would take it up at uni, but a double degree sucks up most of my time.

Technically Proxima Centauri is a part of the Alpha Centauri system. The two stars are close enough to effect each other.

Can you even get to go to those systems in WC games, the only ones I've played were WC1, 2, and WCP(and Privateer of course).

Still Proxmina Centuri is still the closest sun outside our solar system by about 0.1 light years....if I remember correctly.

Terrans, a good name no? Oh and by the way, with Latin, I doubt many people speak 'proper' Latin. Everyone says Julius Caesar, or Hercules, when really it would have been Iulio Caesar and Ercolo, just for two examples.

I think the Brits interferred with the language last century.

Romans are cool! :D

Back