Putting all 13 Academy episodes on a DVD+RW

maniac89

I love Wing Commander: Prophecy
Well, I think the title pretty much explains it, so how do I? Does anyone know some good burning software? Any help would be apreiceated.

Thanks,
The Maniac

Do you want to create a normal DVD-Rom that just plays on the PC (in that case just use any burning software you want, including the one that came with your drive) or do you want to create a movie DVD that plays in any DVD player. In that case you need a DVD Mastering Software (and maybe an additional MPEG 2 converter) in order to generate a menu system.

Well, I want to make a real DVD that can play on any DVD player, and I have tried NeroStartSmart, (which can make a menu, and such) but it won't burn, and it says the burn failed. I don't know if it has a time limit for a DVD or anything, but it just won't burn.

Uh, I hope that helped,
The Maniac

Pathetic for me to ask this but, are you sure you have a DVD-Rewritable ROM? And not a plain DVD-ROM?

The DVD you are trying to copy the WCA series, has it been burned before or copied any data you might of previously inserted into a long time ago. Either way Nero should be able to erase any stuff the DVD might have, whilst burning the data at the same time.

Incase for settings you just want to BURN and not COPY and data - so under NeroStartSmart scroll menu make sure you you click MAKE DATA DVD.

Or perhaps it is the WCA series. Possibly you should check what format they are in - though i presume they work on every single media player that is available (i.e. VLC, Media PLayer, RM etc...)

few suggestion that might or might not help.

Don said:
Pathetic for me to ask this but, are you sure you have a DVD-Rewritable ROM? And not a plain DVD-ROM?

The DVD you are trying to copy the WCA series, has it been burned before or copied any data you might of previously inserted into a long time ago. Either way Nero should be able to erase any stuff the DVD might have, whilst burning the data at the same time.

Incase for settings you just want to BURN and not COPY and data - so under NeroStartSmart scroll menu make sure you you click MAKE DATA DVD.

Or perhaps it is the WCA series. Possibly you should check what format they are in - though i presume they work on every single media player that is available (i.e. VLC, Media PLayer, RM etc...)

few suggestion that might or might not help.

Thoses were some pretty good suggestions, I'll try them out . . .

And I do have a DVD-Rewriteable ROM.

The Maniac

Ok:

When I go to Nero at the top-right it has DVD or CD. I click on DVD, then look at what the DVD Data Disc is. I then look at the CD Data Disc. The discription is the same!
Is there some hidden difference I'm missing?

The Maniac

When people did this before, it also didn't fit on a single DVD. Since you're using the standard format to play on regular DVD players, you're looking at 3 discs for the series.

The WCA series cannot be that large chris? How many episodes are there?

Unless i can remember - an average episode 240mb x 13 = 3Gb+

If you're trying to put them on a DVD (as in, to play on a set-top DVD player), you have to convert them to whatever MPEG format DVDs like... which will give you ~two hours of video on a disc.

ChrisReid said:
When people did this before, it also didn't fit on a single DVD. Since you're using the standard format to play on regular DVD players, you're looking at 3 discs for the series.

I don't think so, I agree with Don, they wound up in the 3GB range, the total DVD is 4.7 GB.

I do not know much about burning a DVD, but nero does not really allow you to split data into 2 or more seperate discs. Simply refering that it might actually not fit into a single DVD.
Try burning at least a 3-5 episodes on one DVD. See what happens.

I'll get back to you on that.

I use Nero Vision Express for that kind of thing.
Have to download more than just the first exe for Nero to get it

maniac89 said:
I don't think so, I agree with Don, they wound up in the 3GB range, the total DVD is 4.7 GB.

Aren't you working on some sort of Prophecy movie project? These are the sorts of things that don't give me a lot of confidence in that attempt. There is a huge difference between downloading our divxes and copying them to a DVD-R and formatting a DVD with the Academy series to play in your TV's DVD player. It will take about 3 DVDs to format the thirteen Academy episodes in the way you want.

Don said:
The WCA series cannot be that large chris? How many episodes are there?

Unless i can remember - an average episode 240mb x 13 = 3Gb+

but that's in the divx, or whatever codec was used, avi format

it's about 4 hours and 20 minutes, I don't think that'll fit on one dvd in teh dvd format unless it's a dual layer dvd

MPEG2, just like Divx can be compressed in various levels of quality. So sure, it IS possible to fit all episodes on one DVD. However the quality will probably be too poor to make it a good idea. I guess you'd end in the range of VHS quality.

Taking five hours of material and compressing it via MPEG2 to fit on a single layer DVD would look noticeably worse the VHS. It'd probably be around VHS quality on a dual-layer disc, but even then, I'd just put it on three normal DVD-Rs.

Back