Proper MoSlo Settings?

NoMention

Rear Admiral
I tried everything possible to get WC1 and WC2 to play correctly but an still having trouble. I tried to disable both CPU caches. It ran way too slow. Then I tried only internal cache, still too slow. Then I tried only external cache, still too slow. I then went with MoSlo. I ran at 10% and the mouths in the cut scenes played way too fast and then the game hung after the first bit of speech (when the Kilrathi talk in part 2). Can someone give me a good setting to use? I would love to play WC1 and WC2 again but so far have been unsuccessful.

Specs:
P3 500
512MB RAM
ATI Rage Fury 32MB
3dfx Voodoo 2 12MB
Monster Sound MX300

Thanks
NoMention

? Disabling cache = too slow?
Hmm, are you running WC1 and WC2 under Windows? If so, run it under pure Dos, cause Windows backround proggies will eat up all the CPU power. In pure DOS with no Cache enabled my K6-2 400Mhz has got the exact speed it needs to be run. If you use pure DOS (6.22) already, I don't know what's going on there, cause WC1, e.g., was written for PCs without cache (according to manual)
Offtopic: Is your PC a server or so? I ask cause it has got more RAM than Mhz, which is useless for normal PCs anyway. ;) - Or do you use a RAM-Os or so. Would explain it, too. Just wondering...

I am running Windows 98 on the PC but am using a pure DOS boot disk for the games. When I turn off both the internal and external CPU caches, the game has the feel like it is playing at around 5 Mhz instead of around 16 Mhz like it should be. When I run WC2, the loading screen with the orchestra goes at like 2 frames per second. It takes about 5 minutes to go through just that one scene. As for the computer, I just had extra ram sitting around which is why there is 512MB. My server is actually a dual P4. This computer I built specifically for playing the old DOS games like Wing Commander, XCom, Master of Magic, Crusader, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, etc. Even Privateer and Privateer 2 play fine on the system when I use the boot disk. With MoSlo, I was able to get WC2 to play at an ok pace except that during the cutscenes the mouth movements was still way too fast but the speech was accurate. The game then hung. I guess I try going to DosBox and see what happens with that. I don't mind using the emulator if it is just for WC1 and WC2. I just wish that there was an easy solution. I really wish that Origin/EA would release the source code for it so that we could just patch that one part that would allow the game to not be dependent on CPU cycles.

NoMention

Just a thought: As my K6-2 400Mhz works fine with no cahce and the mobo I use is very bad, I was wondering what makes me being able to play it and you not? - Well: I've got 128MB RAM, you 512MB. So couldn't it be possible, that the CPU has got problems to handle it without Cache? - Yes, sounds stupid, but really no idea what else is going wrong there. - Or do you have raid or so? could also be a prob with no cache, I guess.

To the "source code thingy": Beside WC1/WC2-Dos version I've got the WC Kilrathi Saga, too - Wc1 and Wc2 are at perfect speed with it and work with latest hardware, no problem (at least for me) - So no need to publish the source code, cause it has already been fixed. - Ok, that doesn't help you, especially cause you can't get the different files as a legal patch (don't even know f it works at all, didn't bother to try), but what can you do?
Back to topic: Wc1/2 "should" work fine with DOSBox 0.61 - I say should, cause I don't know if your 500mhz cpu is fast enough for that (Should be for WC1, but not sure with WC2). So I wish you good luck then ;)

Back