Promotions?

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
I have heard that the charachter in WCS starts out as a 2LT. Will their be promotions and decorations like the original Wing Commander?

Sylvester said:
I have heard that the charachter in WCS starts out as a 2LT. Will their be promotions and decorations like the original Wing Commander?

the answer is a no-no

Tolwyn said:
the answer is a no-no

Hm, brings the question to me, why not ? Technically I would be possible,
but the script does not take usage of a career-increase, right ?

We should discuss this in the near future. That way the player could identify a
little more with the main-character, if he has the possibility to raise in rank.

(We could re-arrange the release-date for another 6 month or so to make this
true. No, just kidding :D , but we should think about it).

I don't care about promotion that much... does Lance Casy ever promote? I can't remember... Blair also doesn't promote ingame during WC III and IV. Like someone would be able to raise four ranks in 11 missions, as in WC I. Very unlikely if you ask me. I just rather see some ph4t WC action instead of promotions.

Casey is promoted. He's made 1st Lt. and gets a couple of medals, IIRC.

Blair gets no promotions in WC3/4 because he's already a Colonel... Promoting him would probably get him out of the flight deck.

I like being promoted. It feels like an acomplishment.

BTW, what is the job of a Space Force General? We see loads of Navy Admirals everywhere, but I know next to nothing about the TCSF Generals.

Administering Space Forces. They're *probably* not line commanders in most cases, otherwise, we likely would have seen them, but instead are most likely staff officers.

There's probably one running the Academy, another one in charge of doctrine (could be the same officer), one for procurement of advanced technologies, etc.

All of this is supposition. I do believe that Blair is promoted to a Brigadier in one of the WC4 endings, but I forget which one and the duties to which he is assigned.

Psych or Bandit Loaf might know more.

FS2 can handle promotions, but there are no cutscenes, and at the scale of WCS, given how it judges them, they would either have to inflate the point awarding massively (don't worry about it, it's not that important for the most part) or use a mission script to force a promotion at some point, which is possible. Also, just to make things more complicated, the ranks are Navy, not Space Forces/Marine/Army/USAF ranks.

Yes, that was ambiguous. My apologies if I confused anyone.

I was referring to the old promotion cutscenes in WC1. There's nothing comparable, since the only thing you get in FS2 is a picture of the decoration and someone telling you you've been decorated or promoted.

Still no promotions? I notice this thread has been dead for eight years; a lot can change in that time. Just sayin'...

Yep, that's right. This thread is really really outdated.
The player gets promoted, and he gets some medals.

As soon as you are 1st Lieutenant you can change your weapon loadout.

Sweet! How long does it take? I'm just out of the Caliban nebula, and am docked at Torgo HQ. I've got three Bronze Stars and a Silver Star, and around 400 kills so far - I feel like the most highly decorated 2nd Lieutenant ever.

Administering Space Forces. They're *probably* not line commanders in most cases, otherwise, we likely would have seen them, but instead are most likely staff officers.

There's probably one running the Academy, another one in charge of doctrine (could be the same officer), one for procurement of advanced technologies, etc.

All of this is supposition. I do believe that Blair is promoted to a Brigadier in one of the WC4 endings, but I forget which one and the duties to which he is assigned.

Psych or Bandit Loaf might know more.

Huh, I guess you've all been waiting patiently for me to answer this.

But yeah, that's about right. The Space Force seems to be structurally similar to the United States' Air Force, with the added oddity of fighter wings being deployed to carriers. Generals would be staff officers who command larger wings and administrate/command numbered space forces.

We do meet at least one Space Forces general: Paladin in Wing Commander III. (And yes, Blair was promoted to Brigadier General at the end of the Wing Commander IV novelization... and then apparently switched over to the Navy where he was a Commodore, the equivalent rank.)

You'll get promoted after Torgo 3.

Right on. Can you get promoted any further? If so, I assume it's at a predetermined point in the game, as opposed to some kind of points system like WC1. If that's the case, please don't tell me when it happens, just if it does

Are the medals determines the same way (based off a points system for an individual mission)?

Back