Progress Update #2

That beast looks really good.
You two (Ninja and Howard) did a great job with that design.

What's next on the list, Howard? Do we have any chance to get a really cool looking WC1-Era Kilrathi capship? A nice Ralari or even a Dorkir in that quality would be so coooooool.

Thanks Aginor, but I can't really claim to have done 1/10th of what howard did with that design. I had maybe 3 hours of total time invested into that design.

Its amazing what its turned out to be.

Now I have to do some fanart off my own design :D

NinjaLA: Thanks and all, but it is your design. It doesn't matter how much time you put into it, you came up with something great. I am glad you like how my interpretation turned out, though!
Aginor: As I mentioned in the update, my next task is going to be a Free Trader - like the Bonnie Heather:
https://www.wcnews.com/ships2/wc2freetrader.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I had to register on the forums just because I wanted to post a big thank you here. Thank you for bringing my interest back to Wing Commander 100-fold. I would periodically check the CIC main site, because sometimes there were interesting things going on, cool tidbits to look at, and stuff like that.

I played the original Wing Commander back in 1990, and beat it... I was 7 years old at the time.

Now I'm almost 25. I had to wipe a tear from my eye when I saw those new renders. So I just wanted to let you know from one old school fan that your work is definitely appreciated, and I can't wait for a demo. =D

I know you've got everything set up, most likely. I've read over all the posts here, and I think its a good idea to keep the amount of people working on a project like this small and controllable. I know you've probably also gotten many offers for help (well, I hope you have), but I'll toss another offer in anyway. If you need suggestions or write ups for dialog, missions, or whatever, I'd be happy to help.

It's a good, solid design, the sort that would look just as well in miniature format as up large. When the 3D model was coming about, I felt that the superstructure could benefit from being a lot smoother like in the original art, but I have to confess it's certainly turned out well. I just wish those screens were brighter.

DAMN! She's got TEETH!

One question...do the fighters land in through the sides? It seems strange after looking at the Bengal-class...BUT... the TCS Concordia has a really short pair of narrow "runways" and I assume that DDs with fighter complements probably don't do "military power" landings anyways, eh?

looks like they land in the sides. but probably not under power. I bet its an automatic landing system

I like that alot. First i didnt like the engine part, looks to big, but you kinda get used to it and looks great then :D
Awesome work HOward and cool design Nina LA...

Yeah - about 18 months ago, I approached Howard looking for a job with the team. They said they needed something with scripts and storylines, and I put some stuff together that I showed Howard. But because they hadn't really gotten the engine together yet, the story stuff was put on hold. But now it seems to me that its time to get some storyline stuff working.

Nice! Oh, and just keep the story small and personal. No saving the universe or digging up ancient alien super weapons. ;)

A goal that involves the emotions of the hero (and by extension, the players), while not being of galactic significance, would be good. For example, let's say that the hero's friend has been captured and is being held prisoner (or enslaved) by Pirate Group X. Rescuing him turns out to require that you storm the pirates' base, which in turn requires you to make certain alliances (since you can't storm the base all alone), and it is the making of these alliances that takes up more than half of the campaign.

Without giving too much away from my ideas - the basic plot will involve the main character initiallly going out to seek revenge for something, but through the course of the game, his motivations and thoughts will be changed by the people he encounters.

I think I did a story pitch for Pioneer at some point - anybody have a copy of that? It'd be fun to look at now.

I had remembered talking to LOAF about it, but didn't get the finalized version. The initial pitch was awesome though, unfortunately I don't have the pitch anymore.

So I'm trying to extract the Free Trader sprites from the Ship.v12 file in the gamedat directory. I'm using wc2view.exe - and the result I'm getting has the palette all mangled. I've double-checked that I've got all the files that should be there there in that directory - does anyone know what I'm missing? Also, and even better, does anyone know where I might be able to track down the original Free Trader model? I know I saw a bunch of the original WC2 models floating around at one point, but I don't know if this one was among them. Thanks!

So I'm trying to extract the Free Trader sprites from the Ship.v12 file in the gamedat directory. I'm using wc2view.exe - and the result I'm getting has the palette all mangled. I've double-checked that I've got all the files that should be there there in that directory - does anyone know what I'm missing? Also, and even better, does anyone know where I might be able to track down the original Free Trader model? I know I saw a bunch of the original WC2 models floating around at one point, but I don't know if this one was among them. Thanks!

Here's the pack. THere's some of the WC2 fighters and capships but I don't know about the freetrader.
http://download.wcnews.com/files/priv1/wc3d.zip

Thanks, AD. The Free Trader is not in there - but there's a lot of other awesome stuff. I managed to get the wcview program working.

Back