Problems with www.wcnews.com?

KillerWave

Spaceman
I haven't been around for a while, but I tried the site last week and today, it opens fine but it says me adobe acrobat failed to read some tmp file or something...

Its strange...maybe there is some unknown adware to the site code?

it does it to me too
I thought it was weird that adobe acrobat started opening then I got some pop up error boxes and once those closed I was fine

it's intermittent
I just went back to wcnews.com and didn't get it

It's possible you have some kind of adware or malware on your machine. Especially if it does it after clearing cookies and your internet cache.

It looks like there might have been an issue, and it's not showing anymore because Kris is working on fixing things now.

There have been a lot of malware problems in general lately. I strongly recommend everyone do the immunization and scan in Spybot S&D. http://www.safer-networking.org/en Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster are also good secondary programs that I use, and obviously everyone should have some sort of anti-virus program installed (I use Free AVG).

Thought I'd share this information with you.

I did not have this problem at first, but I doublechecked and i did find somebody else with this problem, she was using IE7, running windows XP professional SP3(machine is updated every friday through WSUS, so it was up to date), and running Acrobat 5(an office machine, acrobat was not the free(reader) version but the full package including distiller, etc.), when visiting this site it brought up some awkward error, and i noticed that acrobat was running when i looked in computer management, the fix did not require any other updates other then running CCleaner while temporarily disabling the network connection. After CCleaner(wich basicly searches for useless registry entries and browser certificates/cookies) and a cold restart(useless probably, but just to be sure) I could navigate to here again(as exactly to witch entry it was, on any users computer CCleaner finds tons of "C", so i did not take the effort to isolate this..

chris is right on with AVG, another free quality package is antivir(Keep in mind once you do get a warning, and let it pass through the AV package, you are lost forever, so installing a second one just to run a full scan and de-install it might be a good idea)

-The only thing that could cause the frontpage to even look at adobe would be the link to the arena manual, so whatever Kris would be fixing, it is not unique to this site-

I'm at work now so I can't double check, but I think I have adobe 6, and it is the professional version.
I was using firefox, can't remember if I'm still on 2.x or if I did update it to 3
I'll do a full scan tonight with adaware and spy bot

I almost think it happened once or twice at work last week but can't remember for sure

I haven't used this yet, but some of the guys here at work (tech support) swear by it http://www.superantispyware.com/

I had this happen a few times. I think I had Adobe 7 with my XP. I did some research and saw a few people recommend the Foxit reader instead of Adobe, so I downloaded that and set that as my default reader and haven't had the problem since.

I had this happen a few times. I think I had Adobe 7 with my XP. I did some research and saw a few people recommend the Foxit reader instead of Adobe, so I downloaded that and set that as my default reader and haven't had the problem since.

It was coming up for people with multiple versions of Adobe, IE & Windows. It should be fixed now.

Anybody have a "~.exe" process running in Task Manager or in the System32 folder?

No, that sounds shady.

There have been a lot of malware problems in general lately. I strongly recommend everyone do the immunization and scan in Spybot S&D. http://www.safer-networking.org/en Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster are also good secondary programs that I use, and obviously everyone should have some sort of anti-virus program installed (I use Free AVG).

I wanted to add one more to this list. I've found a new program. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware seems to be very good at finding even more stuff than Spybot S&D. The immunization/protection module isn't free like in Spybot, so I would use the two in conjunction, but as a scanner and removal tool it seems to work great. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

I wanted to add one more to this list. I've found a new program. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware seems to be very good at finding even more stuff than Spybot S&D. The immunization/protection module isn't free like in Spybot, so I would use the two in conjunction, but as a scanner and removal tool it seems to work great. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Thanks for the tip on that, Chris. I tried it out tonight and sure enough it hit about 30 things the other programs didn't find.

I'm running SpyBoy S&D, Windows Defender, AVG, and Zone Alarm, and I do a monthly scan with Ad-Aware, but the new one takes the cake for me.

Lately I've been getting hit with a handful of pop ups, just infrequent enough to make me thing occasionally I've gotten rid of all the files associate with them - they disguise themselves rather cleverly as Firefox windows, though the task manager properly identifies them as IE windows. I was rather surprised when I got hit with them - I wonder if IE was my default browser if they would look like IE?

Back