Privateer: The Reckoning OpenSP Beta v4.0

Exarch:
I've only recently gotten the Trade Routes info to work.
(Not exactly sure how it works.)
Anyway, It seems to ignore the second base that you go to.
I'm assuming that that was NC?
As to claiming one base has a higher price...
After several bases, it should straighten itself out.
(But it continues to ignore the second base that you go to.)
It's an issue I'm still working on.

hmm...ineteresting. yeah, freelancer was a fresh install. installed it while i downloaded the mod. i'll clear out the mod and re-download it.

Brad Mick

ahhh..and it works.

as for the tarsus. nevermind...looks nothing like mine. lots of things which aren't hyper accurate, but very nice none the less :)

Brad Mick

warzog said:
Exarch:
I've only recently gotten the Trade Routes info to work.
(Not exactly sure how it works.)
Anyway, It seems to ignore the second base that you go to.
I'm assuming that that was NC?
As to claiming one base has a higher price...
After several bases, it should straighten itself out.
(But it continues to ignore the second base that you go to.)
It's an issue I'm still working on.

Yep, the second base I went to was NC, to check out how it looked. Pretty sweet. I noticed, though, that I seem to run into random invisible parts while flying around it. I'm thinking you know this, but it isn't fixable.

Also, I took a mission around New Detroit. It worked fine for the first waypoint. After clearing the enemies, it gave me a second waypoint... inside New Detroit. So there was no way for me to complete the mission, as the planet occupied the same position the enemies were.

And I think you mentioned this before maybe, but when I went to the bar at Perry, the game crashed.

I'm loving the game though. I'm currently trying to get my hands on a Broadsword. :D

Exarch:
All of the new models for the bases will become invisible at certain ranges/angles.
Not exactly sure why.

As to Perry...
I discovered several reasons for that CTD:
1) Using an older version of DirectX can cause that. I use 9C.
2) If the Perry files are corrupt, they'll do that too.
--Might try to re-download it.
3) If the Gemini.dll becomes corrupt.
--Might try to re-download it.

I discovered that my CD ROM drive can't properly read CD's made with my DVD/CD RW drive.
(It was corrupting the dll's, mat files, and the cmp files.)

The Perry version uploaded was a clean install, and has never CTD'd on me.

As to the mission zone, I'll run through and check them to make sure it's not overlapping the planet.

Thanx for the feedback!

Exarch:
I just checked...
There aren't any zones IN New Detroit.
BUT...
There are zones all around it.
It may be that the 2nd waypoint was halfway between zones, which would put it inside the planet.
Interesting.
I may need to place all of the zones well clear of planets and stations.

Unregistered Guest

Hi, I'm a longtime WC player, 1,2,3,4,Prophecy, and all attendant expansions.

I never got to play Privater 1, because A: never got it to run on my system and B: the joystick ports on my old MB, all of them, are nonfunctional.

That said, this Freelancer mod interets me, becasue I'm also a Freelancer player. So, I have a few questions...

1. Is there a story to this mod, or is it intended to be a pure "sandbox" game?
2. Are there any new types of missions, like in the Privateer games?
"Go kill everything and maybe do one minor thing afterward" gets a bit old...
3. How did you balance ships from 1/2 and 3/4? Looking at the ship stats from the old games, the Arrow would have to turn 10 times faster than the Sabre and have 10 times the armor, etc etc. I think they changed the scale somewhere between 2 and 3.

[/QUOTE]3. How did you balance ships from 1/2 and 3/4? Looking at the ship stats from the old games, the Arrow would have to turn 10 times faster than the Sabre and have 10 times the armor, etc etc. I think they changed the scale somewhere between 2 and 3.
Ships have gun & shield classes. Some have lot more cargo space then others and some have more weapons.

one thing i've noticed is that some missions have a second waypoint, or even first waypoint in the middle of the sun. heh, wasn't paying attention and learned that that hard way.

oh, AND IT'S LIKE PLAYING THE BOOKS! sweetness :)

Brad Mick

Are there supposed to be debris fields everywhere in Perry, NC, and New Detroit?

I really like this. Far less CTD than the previous version and it feels a whole lot more like Privateer. Made some money and bought a decent ship and made a run to one of the blockade points and into kilrathi-controlled systems. Great fun.

BradMick:
The problem with the waypoints in the sun is from using jumpholes instead of jumpgates.
This results in not having a "Best Path" function available too.
I've tried making a jumpgate patch for those who want it, but it messes up the naming of the gates.
(Not sure which is worse.)

KnightLight:
1) Pure "sandbox" right now.
2) Impossible in Freelancer.
3) I balanced them based on Class, Power, and Weapons.
--All of the Light Fighters are fairly similar in Freelancer.
--I used that as a way to make the WC/P ships competitive.
--Combined with basic stats, and comparative Pitch/Yaw, and Roll rates, I believe I've come fairly close.

Unregistered:
Not in the original Privateer game.
I used debris fields to help convey distance, and considering that that part of the sector was embroiled in battles with the Kilrathi, it seemed appropriate.

Nomad Terror:
Thanx!
I've spent the last five months working on this version.
And getting rid of CTD's is a real pain!

Ain't that always the way. It's like they purposely TRIED to make random missions unalterably repetitive.

I bet if Chris Roberts had stayed on the dev team we'd have more types of missions...

*wistful sigh*

Seems to be fine work, even uncompleted. :)
Now a wish not directly related to your ambitioned project:
It would be cool if there are Kilrathi figures in such modifications (interiorscenes) and if they look like beeing from WC II and III (III offered a more defined design about their physiology - at least for their leg parts). But this isn't a total conversion, is it? :p

KnightLight:
THAT, they did!

Malar:
Actually, we had planned that early on.
There was a modeler who had started on doing the heads, but then he disappeared.
No one else has even attempted the project since.

KnightLight said:
I bet if Chris Roberts had stayed on the dev team we'd have more types of missions...
I bet we wouldn't have. For one thing, Chris Roberts left the dev team fairly late, so it's doubtful that his departure changed that much. And secondly, if you look at all the games Chris Roberts worked on, you'll notice that he's not a big fan of giving the player lots and lots of options - he likes strong, deep storylines, and that always means restricting the player's choices significantly. I'm not saying he's a bad designer (certainly he isn't), but he's just not the kind of guy you want to employ on a Privateer-like game. Although it's difficult to tell, I suspect that FreeLancer could well have been a better game without his influence.

Quarto said:
I bet we wouldn't have. For one thing, Chris Roberts left the dev team fairly late, so it's doubtful that his departure changed that much.

Well, YOU'd be surprised!
In the game, and on the disk, you'll find a file labeled, "Engine_Goods.ini"
It's empty, it's there so that you can buy/sell engines, to upgrade them.
They couldn't delete the file, because it's required by the source code.
(Which means it's a change that came late in developement.)
So, instead, they disabled the ability by making it impossible to unmount an engine.
If you check the files of my mod, which have been decoded, you'll find ECM pods, Repair Robots, and even the nukes from Privateer 2.
They're all there, even the thumbnails, and the actual models of them, but their functions have been disabled.
The Power Generators, Tractor Beams and Scanners were designed to be options that you could buy, I reactivated the ones for the scanners and generators.
In fact, when Juni briefs you on the 2nd (Ashcroft) mission, she says that she'll have a tractor beam installed on your ship.
That tells me that the ability to add/remove/buy/sell them had been there, but it was removed very late in developement.
Not only that...
Try leaving a base without a generator, or a scanner, on your ship.
There's a prerecorded voice message stating that you can't launch without one.
Why would the messages be there if it hadn't been an option at one time?
(There's also a message that you can't launch without an engine, too!!!)

Quarto said:
Although it's difficult to tell, I suspect that FreeLancer could well have been a better game without his influence.

When Privateer came out, Chris Roberts said that he wanted more ships, more equipment, more developed systems/bases, and more weapons, but that the computers of the day couldn't handle it.
IMHO, Freelancer was going to be what Privateer had been meant to be.
Unfortunately, the powers that be didn't, and that probably caused the rift that led to Roberts leaving.
I truly believe that Roberts was trying to make "Privateer 3-Freelancer."

Well, I've been playing for a few hours, and have myself a Centurion with Class 4 shield/generator, 3 particle cannons, 1 tachyon cannon and a plasma turret. So, I have a few observations/questions

1) Wow, pirates drop a lot of cool swag. Of course, in Freelancer, equipment does not take up cargo space and tractoring stuff in is as simple as a push of a button, so salvage is easy as pie.

2) I don't recall turrets firing forward in WC games except for Prophecy with the Devastator's plethora of wildly firing auto-lasers. (they always screwed up my accuracy rating) On my Centurian, though, I have a plasma turret floating above (:confused:) my ship, firing forward with my other guns.

3) The militia and confederation seem to have navigation problems, because they keep sending me into the heart of ND's star to hunt pirates. Isn't that a bit, ah, dangerous?

Back