Privateer-like Boadgame on Kickstarter

csimian

Chief Petty Officer
This game sounds like it takes the essence of Privateer in a generic non-licensed theme sort of way. It is called Xia: Legends of a Drift system. I do not have 10 posts yet but the Mod gave me permission to post.

Would love to see someone make some mission cards in a Wing Commander theme though.

Looks interesting, but at the same time missing lots and lots of stuff. There are basically just 2 missions: Go to x and then to y. Or go to x and kill y. Also only 4 ship systems, Weapons, Missiles, Shields and Engines.

They have unlocked 3 new ships and 2 new sector tiles. The next stretch goals include upgrading the poker chips to metal credits and three more ships

They just announced a Dev Kit included in the $100 level. It comes with three blank sector tiles, blank outfits (equipment loadouts), and 3 flight stands. He will be hosting a forum on his site to encourage the community to upload their 3D modeled ships, mission cards, etc.

No offense, but are you the designer for this game? It seems like you are pushing this game as though it bears any ties to the Wing Commander universe, which upon reading the rules and watching the videos, there is just not a thing connecting this game to Wing Commander.

This game is just like other pick-up and delivery mechanic driven games of exploration and space. There have been games like this for 20 years like Merchant of Venus. It looks like it could be a decent game, I just see no connection to Wing Commander in it, and frankly the art style is very much not my taste.

No offense, but are you the designer for this game? It seems like you are pushing this game as though it bears any ties to the Wing Commander universe, which upon reading the rules and watching the videos, there is just not a thing connecting this game to Wing Commander.

This game is just like other pick-up and delivery mechanic driven games of exploration and space. There have been games like this for 20 years like Merchant of Venus. It looks like it could be a decent game, I just see no connection to Wing Commander in it, and frankly the art style is very much not my taste.

I am just an over-enthusiastic backer. I thought it may have some appeal in the Privateer-like way you can do what you want in the boardgame. I will discontinue updating this thread.

Hey I appreciate the post, I am interested in the game. I was hesitant to post given my own involvement in the Privateer Boardgame, given it's a bit of a conflict of interest, but the two games are very much different games.

I look forward to getting my hands on a copy of Xia.

Out of interest - what are the major differences between Xia and the Privateer Boardgame?

Xia is an open ended game, with little structure, and whatever you want to do you do. Privateer is open ended, but gives a little more structure, almost like a streamlined RPG. Xia provides micromanagement over everything down to the way you put things on your ship. Privateer gives you slots you fill and a dynamic quadrant where you're constantly on your toes. It plays out very differently and in half the time, being more character driven and with defined goals. How you get there is up to you.

More info: privateerboardgame.blogspot.com

(Not trying to jack the thread)

Just a last update here. Its down to 33 hours to go. A lot has been unlocked and upgraded. Not all of the stretch goals will be included in the base game at retail. Some may be headed for expansions.

Back