Privateer CD Sound but no Speech

NoMention

Rear Admiral
I just got my bootdisk up and running and I managed to get Wing Commander 1-4 working albeit 1 and 2 were way too fast but they can be slowed. I installed Privateer and everything is running except that I am not getting the speech. I am getting the music so I know my sound card is working alright. I have the Diamond Monster MX300 and have loaded the DOS driver for it. It plays as a music card just fine. In WC2 it played the speech from that just fine as well. I don't know why it won't work for the speech in Privateer. Can anyone help? Maybe it is my BLASTER setting in autoexec.bat?

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 T1

NoMention

Have you tried selecting different sound drivers in the install menu for the game itself?
Also you might also be happy to know that you can run the game in Windows now using DOS-Box.

I think that I'm just going to try picking up an old authentic Sound Blaster (or Sound Blaster Pro) ISA card from Ebay since my motherboard has an ISA slot. I am shooting for something that will run both my old pure native DOS games as well as the early Win95/98 games. Should I go with ISA or should I stick with PCI? I know that PCI would work better with Windows but if I get like the AWE64, that would work in both right? Plus, I would be using a PURE Sound Blaster card and not my Diamond MX300 using Sound Blaster emulation.

NoMention

A Sound Blaster Live Value can emulate the old sound blasters pretty well. It also makes for a very decent modern sound card.

I got an ISA Sound Blaster AWE64 and it all works correctly now. I forgot how much fun that game was. I also now remember how awful that first ship that you get was. Talk about slow. I ran into a problem getting MIDI to work though. Everything works fine when running as Sound Blaster PRO/16 for both music and sound but I can't get MIDI to work for music. At least I can hear the speech now. I'll keep playing with it. Also, the driver for the AWE64 is far superior to the one I had with my old card. Using my old card rendered me with about 587Kb of DOS memory while with this new card, I'm up to 610Kb.

NoMention

Back