Privateer: Ascii Sector v0.1 released!

Downloaded and played it for about half an hour yesterday. Very nice! I'll definitely have a closer look as soon as I can spare the time. Gotta say, I really have to take my hat off to you for pulling that off! The sheer amount of work and care that went into your project is amazing. :)

really terrific man! I promise I'll give it some more playtime in the near future.. I just really like flying around and blowing up little V's :p I think its totally neat how you worked out the combat.

I've released version 0.1.3. Most bugs should be fixed by now -- if you discover a bug, please post it at the forums.

Also, how does one go about getting added to the Fan Projects page? :)

I have noticed a minor bug in the missions assignment, namely that the fixers or merchant's guild will offer you a mission to deliver a cargo or message to the base that you are currently on.

Are you sure that there were fixer missions where you had to deliver the item or message to the base you were on? I've never experienced this and I just checked the code for generating fixer missions -- when the code selects which system to deliver to, it checks that the system isn't the one you're currently in.

As to the Merchants' Guild missions... It's not a bug when the missions ask you to deliver to the base you're on. The available guild missions are the same in all systems and on all bases, since they are 'downloaded' from the guild networks. However, if you've accepted such a missions, you have to take off and land again before the cargo will be delivered.

EDIT: If you experience the fixer mission bug again, would you please save the game and email me the savegame?

Am I right in assuming that when you take a cargo mission, you have to purchase the cargo yourself with your own funds up-front, and also that for missions that have only a delivery point and not a starting base listed, you have to find a base that supplies it? While this is a more realistic model (you are supplying the goods as a seller instead of just shipping them for somebody else), it would be nice if it was documented in the instruction file.

Hey, I would like to ask how I can get rid of a passenger whose mission I failed due to being late. Am I forced to take him to his destination anyway? He's been taking up space for so long that I've forgotten where he wanted to go.

Perhaps in the next version you could have players able to dismiss a passenger whose mission has failed, even if they might have to pay some cash to do it? I need to free up the passenger slot or else I can't take any future passengers.

Well, if you're really cold-hearted, you can just jettison him into space...

EDIT: For the next version I'll probably just have passengers disembark the next time you land if their mission has expired.

the patrol missions do not accumulate. that was a favourive pastime of mine in old Privateer: get several patrol missions for the same sector, maybe add an elimination mission in one of the nav points I'm going to be visiting anyway, and get three paychecks in one go. but in Ascii Sector, I'm only completing objectives in one of two identical patrol missions, and the other stays intact. it was so innocent an exploit (and so satisfying!) that I'd love to see it working in Ascii Sector, too :)

That should be possible in Ascii Sector as well, so that's a bug. I'll check it out...

EDIT: I just tested two patrol missions in the same system and using the same nav points. Both had Pirate encounters and the only thing I noticed was that sometimes a misson objective in one of the patrol missions was completed just by passing through the nav point (even though there were still Pirates around), while the other mission's objective wouldn't be completed until I had destroyed the Pirates. This is because each Pirate ship is associated with a mission. When you pass through a nav point, it checks if there are any Pirates associated with the missions relating to that nav point. So, when there are two patrol missions using the same nav point, the Pirate ships will only be associated with one of them. After killing the Pirates, both missions' objective at that nav point were completed, however, so that wasn't a problem.

If what you're experiencing is different, it's probably due to a bug that was probably fixed when I fixed another bug relating to scout and patrol missions (sometimes mission objectives wouldn't be completed, even though you passed through the nav point).

maybe it really was like that, with one mission depending on enemies and the other not. I'm afraid I've lost that save, but I'll check this again the next time the opportunity presents itself.

Back