Privateer 2 the darkening higher resolution

U

Unregistered

Hi

Was wondering if there is anyway to change Privateer 2 the darkening resolution so that
it could be playable in a wide screen resolution?
Has anyone ever came out with some kind of editor to make this possible?
Would love to replay it, but unfortunately it's unplayable on wide screen.

thank you in advance

Fixer

Does your video card support preserving aspect ratio at higher resolutions? That way you can play it at 4:3. I've been doing that on a 1440x900 screen and it works great.

What exactly do you mean by unplayable? There's plenty of resizing options in dosbox that can be used to stretch the image to whatever resolution you want. I'd have to experiment with the windows version whenever I get my PC back up and running.

Hi guys

Thx for our responses

Bob never thought of making a profile in the video card ,will try that 4:3 aspect ratio.
I was always trying to do it within Privateer 2 with no success.

AD Never used DOS box my version is windows. Although my original is DOS
think it would work better then the windows version?

thanks guys

Fixer

Hi guys

Thx for our responses

Bob never thought of making a profile in the video card ,will try that 4:3 aspect ratio.
I was always trying to do it within Privateer 2 with no success.

AD Never used DOS box my version is windows. Although my original is DOS
think it would work better then the windows version?

thanks guys

Fixer
I've had good results with dosbox, and some of the resizing options work nicely. You can pretty much upscale the image to whatever resolution you want and apply various smoothing options if you feel like it.

If we're launching the DarkFix version in Windows (we can't use Dos Box with Dark Fix)
"DarkFix.exe is a windows 95 executable": Unless your application/game has separate executables for ms-dos/windows, you are out of luck. YOU CANNOT run windows executables (PE) from within DOSBox. It has been asked a lot of times.
So we can't use Dos Box'es resolution re-sizing for the windows DarkFix version. How can we change the resolution of the DarkFix windows version of the game? Any ideas..
Thanks

Last edited:
i think the best way to maker this game run in widescreen is making something akin to the Tie fighter and xwing patches

or use DgVoodoo2

(throws in towel)
Alt-O (O, the letter) brings up the game menu (and access to: joystick configuration) in-flight (crashed game with reference read error in DarkFix version of game.
So close to making the game work (Dos Box gives me full-screen) but I can't get any button or key to fire weapons and even worse the game crashes trying to access the game menu when in flight (Alt-O). I guess I'm throwing in the towel unless someone has a suggestion.
If I bought the deluxe version of the game would it all work?

No, I don't think that would change anything. DarkFix is a fan patch based around the Windows versions, and it was made at a time when people wouldn't have thought someone would want to go back around and play the DOS version again for any reason.

No, I don't think that would change anything. DarkFix is a fan patch based around the Windows versions, and it was made at a time when people wouldn't have thought someone would want to go back around and play the DOS version again for any reason.
{Fixed "Insert CD 1" message as well as reference read error}
I was able to get the game running. This would have worked for the old, normal version of the game as well as the Deluxe version I used it on this time.
>>>>>>>Old issues/post that are fixed now:
"Also just to be clear, do not run any install program. I'm mentioning that because you keep saying "a folder within the game installation". Don't install anything. Just copy the CDs to a directory, and run the patch." <<<<<<<<
That works! (It does have to be on your C:\ drive or you'd have to change the file paths in Dark.Fix file.)
Patch: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2014/09/30/the-darkening-s-enhancement-patch-gets-even-better

Last edited:
Back