Privateer 2:The Darkening for Win95 Question

OmerGod

Spaceman
I just purchased a version of Privateer 2: The Darkening for Windows 95. It will not install on my computer. I am running Windows XP. It says I don't have enough space available. The game requires 33 MB and I have 17 GB. Is there any way to fix the problem? I sure would appreciate some assistance on this problem.
Thanx

"You ignore what you know because it is inconvenient. What you do not know, you invent." Sati Delenn of Mimbar

Have you tried running setup.exe (the installer) in "Windows 95 Compatibility Mode"? I'm 90% sure this will solve your hard drive space detection problem.

Create the directory where you plan to install P2 into, BEFORE running the installer.

All wrong (dosbox is a good idea but much too slow (!)
1)The problem is that old dosgames use two different kinds of emulated memory
Ems and Xms if i remember correctly.
2)Furthermore they need some "main memory" free. (dont think that was necessary with Priv2

Therefore you need to change the config.sys for true dos (reboot in dos mode)
/ config.dos (for the dosbox in win95 mode)

First make a safe copy
then make sure that
Device=C:\windows\Himem.sys
devicehigh=C:\windows\command\emm386.exe ram 8000
dos=high,umb

Remove all unecessary drivers in autoexec bat and config sys.
This means only leave soundriver, mouse cdromdriver ( mscdex in autoexec.bat and another in config sys (reconizable as it got a drive letter assigned)

All written from memory as i got winxp now so maybe not utterly corrrect
but just google a guide if u got a problem. Config.sys and autoexec.bat are keywords

Last posting is wrong.

The Windows 95 version needs no Dos.

Cff told the right thing: Create the directory before running the installer.

Maniac, if I understand it right he does have the Windows version of Priv2 - so booting into any DOS mode will not help much. DOSbox for the Win95 version will also be of not much help.

OmerGod, try the other hints first - if all else fails, there's still the way to create an additional partition on your harddisc and just make it small enough for old installer routines (~100 MB should be enough).

Privateer 2: The darkening (Windows 95 cd-rom) installation for Windows 7

1. Create folder c:/dark (required)
2. Create folder c:/dark_cd (for faster installation)
3. Copy the cd content to c:/dark_cd
4. Download "slowdown" -patch:
http://download.wcnews.com/files/p2/priv2_slowdownpatch.zip
4a. OPTIONAL - download Game Manual:
http://download.wcnews.com/files/manuals/Privateer 2 - The Darkening - Manual.pdf
4b. OPTIONAL - download Reference Card and Map:
http://download.wcnews.com/files/ma... Darkening - Quick Reference Card and Map.pdf
5. After the cd content has been copied to c:/dark_cd,
check all the boxes in Install.exe compatibility tab. Press Ok.
6. Install the game.
7. After game has been installed, copy patch.exe (from slowdownpatch.zip) to c:/dark and run it.
8. In c:/dark -folder, check all the boxes in Dark.exe compatibility tab. Press Ok.
9. Play the game.

Hopefully this works for everybody!

Hello, I have done everything Glasmo said for the installation but I am having one problem. The mouse always locks up in the nav map screen. Just the clarify the planet screen as i believe it is also known. So I can't even get the first mission done. I've heard just jiggle the mouse around but that doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Hi there!
Try using F -key (find) to write destination manually.

Back