Privateer 2 ger/eng differences

Lin Kuei Ominae

Rear Admiral
I managed to convert my german P2D into an english one (thanks Mincemeat for the files :) ) and noticed some small differences. For those who are interested, i've attached some pictures showing the most notable differences which are:
-the shortcut NHK instead of CCN in the booth welcome screen. I still don't know for what the 3 letters NHK could stand for as the text below actually gives the shortcut KKN which is also a quite accurate translation from the english text
-a different background in the P.A.D. with a quite simple done removal of the smaller "Personal Access Directory" text
-the small added suffix "verstorben" (eng "deceased") in the german Larn Regis and Douglas Pemtur entries as well as the missing title "Nurse" ("Pfleger") in the german Douglas Pemtur entry
-the different name of the papogod clan which is called papago in german. However even the english one isn't consistent as it is called papagod in the text and papogod in the headline. I wonder what's actually the correct name of this clan.

For those who are interested, the following files are needed to convert the game into a different language:
Booth.iff - text in the booth like the welcome screen
Dani.big - the audio of the ships computer voiced by Dani Behr
Gameflow.iff - text that is displayed in menus (e.g. load game), pad (name of the transits, e.g "customs", "You Are Here"), planetary interior (e.g "exit to transit", "enter booth"), text between fmv's (the text of the 2 plot-choices), text of the various commodities, weapons, ships, systems, missiles, Bulletin board text "Reward"/"Tons"/"Hire
Isets.iff - the audio that Lev Arris speaks between the FMV when the player has to make a plot-choice
Mission*.iff (0-9,m,r) - the text of the missions and diary entries
Pad.iff - the text on the P.A.D. like the "exit" button and the background images.
Speech.big - the voices of the different pilots

P.S.: it would be cool if someone with a French (or other language) version could post the pictures here too.

Attachments

• darkdos_000.png
    darkdos_000.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 65
  • darkdos_001.png
    darkdos_001.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 60
  • darkdos_002.png
    darkdos_002.png
    87 KB · Views: 57
  • darkdos_003.png
    darkdos_003.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 56
  • darkdos_004.png
    darkdos_004.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 62
  • darkdos_005.png
    darkdos_005.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 59
  • darkdos_006.png
    darkdos_006.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 62
  • darkdos_007.png
    darkdos_007.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 62
  • darkdos_008.png
    darkdos_008.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,812
  • darkdos_009.png
    darkdos_009.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 42
That's really cool! To do the conversion, did you make a new CD with the English files copied in the German files' place? It didn't work off of just dropping files in C:\Dark, did it?

I'm guessing that NHK is "Netzwerk für Handel & Kommunikation", and I further guess that it was adapted due to political correctness issues.
KK is the usual german officialese abbreviation for nuclear plant (Kernkraftwerk), and KKN designates the former nuclear plant "Niederaichbach" - which was torn down from 1987 to 1995 at enormous cost. Not the best thing to raise publicity about.

Anyway, great job!

thanks for the explanation criticalmass. That indeed explains a lot.

That's really cool! To do the conversion, did you make a new CD with the English files copied in the German files' place? It didn't work off of just dropping files in C:\Dark, did it?
No, a new CD isn't necessary. All the listed files in my first post are present in the installation folder on the HDD and only need to be replaced there.

So yes, it's simply dropping them in C:\DARK.
though in my case i have the following folders
D:\P2DARK ;the entry-point for Dosbox. Inside dosbox this is C:\
D:\P2DARK\P2DCDS ;the 3 cds copied into this folder which both language versions use (instead of cd-drive and constant cd-changes)
D:\P2DARK\DARKdeu ;the german version (dark.cfg points to the p2dcds folder instead of the cd-drive)
D:\P2DARK\DARKeng ;the english version (dark.cfg points to the p2dcds folder instead of the cd-drive)

Back