Privateer 2 Cargo Bug

Lin Kuei Ominae

Rear Admiral
A while ago i found a bug in the ingame cargo system, that can be used to get money for free (no savegame hack necessary).
And this is how it goes:
Take a freighter and buy one ton of e.g. Brikcrete (just to occupy the first cargo pod)
Then buy several hundred tons of a cheap commodity like Grain.
Now sell the 1 ton from the first cargo pod and empty it this way.
Now go to the Bulletin Board and hire a different Freighter.
Go back to the commodities and you see that now the first cargo pod is filled.
If you now buy 1 ton of something expensive, the second pod (which was previously filled with many tons of cheap Grain) is now fill with several hundred tons of the expensive commodity.

When hiring a new freighter, the game reorganizes the cargo pods by moving full pods up into empty pods. However it doesn't sets the amount of cargo stored in the pod back to 0 and only sets "Null" for the stored commodity type. So basically you still have hundred tons of nothing stored.
When you now buy something, the cargo type is changed from "nothing" to the new commodity and the amount of tons is added by 1.

I've attached some pictures showing the 5 steps.
btw, does anyone know how i can convert my german Privateer 2 the Darkening into an english one (the english text would be already enough, as i doubt anyone wants to upload the 1.5GB of movies)

Attachments

• darkdos_001.png
    darkdos_001.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 105
  • darkdos_002.png
    darkdos_002.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 98
  • darkdos_003.png
    darkdos_003.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 107
  • darkdos_004.png
    darkdos_004.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 115
  • darkdos_005.png
    darkdos_005.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 95
Woah! What a crazy find--great work!

I'm going to forward this to the guys who programmed the game, they will get a kick out of someone figuring this out.

This is great!

btw, does anyone know how i can convert my german Privateer 2 the Darkening into an english one (the english text would be already enough, as i doubt anyone wants to upload the 1.5GB of movies)

I don't think anyone has done this before, but it's certainly a worthwhile effort. Changing the text and changing the video's audio track are two distinct efforts. I'm not sure if simply swapping the movie files would work for the videos, but 1.5 gigs isn't necessarily unreasonable anymore.

We've got like ten gigs of WC4 and WCP movies at the CIC right now (although these are somewhat unique since they are the DVD vob sets): https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/10163 https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/10338

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, thanks for the news post. :D

As for the ger2eng conversion, would it be illegal (copyright issue) if someone uploads the following files?
booth.iff
dani.big - i assume that's the ingame computer voice of dani behr?
mission*.iff (*=0-9,m,r) - i assume these are the mission texts
pad.iff
pilots.big - could be the ingame pilot voices
space.iff - could include text from space
spacegeo.iff - could be the 3d-models only, but i'm not sure if text isn't included as well
spacetex.iff - could be the 3d-model textures only, but i'm not sure if text isn't included as well
speech.big

Thanks for the effort, but the archive seems to be corrupt.
I downloaded it 2 times and everytime 7zip gives the message "0 Can not open file Lin_Kuei_Ominae.7z as archive."

Can you please upload it again?

Back