Post-War Uniforms

ChanceKell

Rear Admiral
I've been playing WC4 again over the past few days, and I had noticed something on the uniforms. You look at the name badge, and see what you expect: Blair, Tolwyn, Eisen, until Maniac comes around, and, instead of Marshall, he has "Maniac" patched on.
Then I look at the other characters, and notice the only personnel who don't have their callsigns are the people who don't have callsigns period (except for Blair, who you can choose for a callsign). Even the Border Worlders do the same thing (they even seem to have patches ready for the Confed defectors, but that's another story).

Any reason there's this new name listing way on uniforms, even dress uniforms? Perhaps the costume designer didn't know the pilot characters' real names?

And does anyone know the first time Blair's official callsign was used? I don't believe it was mentioned in any of the games, seeing that you pick your own for the most part, and I believe he went without callsign in the novels (although I haven't read Action Stations.. Could have mentioned it in there). I'm thinking WC Academy here.

I thought his callsign was "Maverick". The movie states it was "Maverick", but he changed it to "Pilgrim".

So, I guess Maverick.

If you go by the first time he received the callsign in-universe, that would be in the Academy - it's mentioned in the first episode that he received it as a joke, since he would follow regulations to the letter.

About the uniforms thing, there seems to be no standard. Seether uses this handle on the uniform, he is never given a name.

I think you'll find that they're actually super-secret classified colonel's bars.

To reply to the original post, the first appearance of Blair's callsign was the Wing Commander III novel. Hobbes says... "Nor did we ever expect to see the likes of Maverick Blair on the Victory, my friend".

But when did they invent the callsign in the first place? Wasn't he Bluehair in the backstage of the first two games?

Probably around the same time they figure out the name, on WC3. KS has Blair's name and callsign as default.

Thanx again.
I always used Orion as a callsign in spacesims. Maverick reminds me of Top Gun... *shudders*

If you'll notice, just about anything that involves pilots is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 top gun, with a somewhat different plotline . . . and different characters . . . and different technology, sometimes . . . and no Hondo.

Edfilho said:
But when did they invent the callsign in the first place? Wasn't he Bluehair in the backstage of the first two games?

The first Blair to show up in WC is in the novel Freedom Flight, on page 177, where he is mentioned as having 'an incredible run of luck lately - well, in cards anyways. His lovelife was pretty barren'. There is no data to suggest that this is Maverick, nor does the callsign show up at any time.

In "End Run", Bear mentions that "Phoenix and his wingman" saved the Concordia after the Mandarin traitor blew out the launch bays, though it's only in WC3 that they first introduce the "Maverick" name into the games, along with the Blair surname. This was probably due to the fact that they did have to mention both in the cutscenes, and 'Colonel <blank space here while we insert text>' was not acceptable. :D

And then there's the Academy cartoon... but that changes in the Movie again.

Back