Post-Kilrathi War Confed economy

Nomad Terror

Rear Admiral
Do we have any indication on how the economy of the Confederation fared in the several years after the end of the Kilrathi War? Obviously it seemed Confed was in a rather large depression in Wing Commander 4, and likely again in Arena, following the Nephilim War.

However, in the 2680s it seemed like Confed was able to push enough funding to research and build several new ship designs, including the Midway, Hades, Plunkett and Murphy classes, including a dozen new classes of fighters.

Did perhaps the Vesuvius project and the Black Lance incident of the 2670s spur enough interest in Confed to continue rebuilding the fleet with newer designs, thus opening up new work opportunities in R&D and construction?

Space Point.

We don't know for sure, but the *tone* of the ICIS Manual's article does sound positive in so far as the economy in 2681 works (just the title of the article, Senate Debates 'Peace Dividend', makes me think things are seemingly bright.)

The Midway program (as indicated there and elsewhere) is supposedly a 'budget' super carrier project - less expensive than building more of the same ships, though... and the Hades-class was supposedly in development for over ten years, so it can't be an immediate product of a positive economy (finally, we don't know how old the Murphy and Plunkett were - they could even be war-era ships...)

Well, I would hypothesize that the Murphy was a post-war design, as it has the same bridge style as the Midway, as opposed to a more traditional conning tower that even the Vesuvius had. The Hades does not have exactly this same bridge style, but it is still pretty similar.

If I had to guess about the Plunkett, I would say that its triple heavy plasma cannon suggests it was designed or at least upgraded around the same time the Hades was being built.

That's all conjecture, however.

Also, it's hard to tell from Governor Cavazos' thirty-second speech in Secret Ops, but the crowd seemed very supportive of a major show of force by Confed in the aftermath of the initial Nephilim conflict. This would suggest a happy populace, not a war-worn populace tired of losing more men and women to battle. So it seems likely that the economy did take a major turn for the better in the few years between 4 and Prophecy, along with the civilian government's opinion of the military in general.

Well, I would hypothesize that the Murphy was a post-war design, as it has the same bridge style as the Midway, as opposed to a more traditional conning tower that even the Vesuvius had.

That's tough reasoning to go with. If someone didn't know that the Vesuvius was new in WC4, they might use the same logic to say it was a decades-old design like the Victory. Many different design elements are used side-by-side and also reused over huge lengths of time.

If I had to guess about the Plunkett, I would say that its triple heavy plasma cannon suggests it was designed or at least upgraded around the same time the Hades was being built.

This is kind of the same thing. Neither giant triple-mount guns nor plasma weapons were new around that time.

Also, it's hard to tell from Governor Cavazos' thirty-second speech in Secret Ops, but the crowd seemed very supportive of a major show of force by Confed in the aftermath of the initial Nephilim conflict. This would suggest a happy populace, not a war-worn populace tired of losing more men and women to battle.

Pretty hard to tell from that sequence. Who is his audience? What if it's mostly military people or survivors of the first Nephilim attack?

Back