Please describe WCU!!

Good idea, but I honestly don't know -- my goal is to get the framework running. This is plot related stuff.... You're welcome to study campaign.py and campaign_bonus.py in your Priv Remake install (open them with Notepad) and make up your own plots.

It is much more, I myself and other become offended when it is classified as an “add-on” when in fact Privateer Remake was an extension to WCU Project!

Bottom rail on top, this time.

(Seriously, don't be offended - once people have decided that something is an addon it's very very difficult to explain that it isn't... which I know from six or seven years of experience of trying to explain why Secret Ops isn't a Prophecy addon.)

Doh! I was just looking at your timeline post, again, and cought that between Pivateer and Righteous Fire is WC3. So, if anything, we need to glue the end of Priv to the start of WC3, and then glue the end of WC3 to the start of Righteous Fire.

Sure... the prologue to False Colors is in there, too. (And Armada is roughly concurrent with Privateer).

Okay, forgive my ignorance, I only played Privateer, RF and Priv 2. I look at the timeline and I don't know all the abbreviations:

WC1 - 2654
SM - 2654-2655
SM2 - 2655
WC2 - 2665-2667
SO1/2 - 2667
WC3 - 2669
WC4 - 2673
WCP/SO - 2681

Wing Commander 1
SM???
SM2???
Wing Commander 2
"Special Operations"? 1 & 2
Wing Commander 3
Wing Commander 4
Wing Commander Prophesy
"Special Operations" again?

So, let me guess, Armada is WC4?

Now I thought someone said that the end of WC3 == the end of the war. If so, what was WC4 about?

And I was wondering, is there ANY connection at all between Privateer 2 and the rest of WC? I've been toying with some ideas for an inbetween story, but I wouldn't want to contradict anything that may have been hinted about such a connection.

SM1/2 Are Special Missions 1/2, also known as Thor's Hammer and Crusade. Happens directly following WC1 and before the events leading to where things are at the start of WC2.

Special Operations 1/2, the main character is working for a different part of Confed that (s)he is used to. Happens following the events of WC2, and before WC3.

WC4 does indeed happen after the end of the war. There is something funny going on in part of human space, and the main character is sent to find out what it is, and put a stop to it.

WC4 is not Armada.

Priv2 being part of the real WC Universe. Seems like that depends on who you ask. Most say there is little or no connection, but someone more qualified is going to have to answer that one.

Yes, Priv2 is in the same universe as wing commander. It can kind of feels like its not at some times though.

I think that Priv2 happens in the late 2700's (note 27 not 26). So I guess the world WOULD look different -- go back to 1905 and take a look around :)

Actually, please take me? I want to meet Nikola Tesla. Smart and hot... yum!

I did, but that was many years ago, I don't have it around any more. But it wasn't a Tesla Coil, it was a ... whachamacallit ... not "Jacob's ladder"... another ladder but it escapes me now, basically a long chain of diode capacitor stages. The ladder had to be submerged in oil, otherwise it lost too much energy by corona effect discharge at all the nodes, so the main trunk of the the thing was made of glass and plexiglass glued together, like a long vertical fishtank, filled with vegetable oil, and the top was made of two inox salad bowls.
It took about 30 seconds to get to full charge, and I had a broomstick with a penny at the end and a ground wire, so from two meters away I could bring the penny within zapping distance of the top. I had to change to fresh pennies often though: The sparks were so strong they took chunks out of the poor penny... ;-)

SM1/2 Are Special Missions 1/2, also known as Thor's Hammer and Crusade. Happens directly following WC1 and before the events leading to where things are at the start of WC2.

Thor's Hammer is the operation that's going on in the game, but the actual title is simply "The Secret Missions".

Special Operations 1/2, the main character is working for a different part of Confed that (s)he is used to. Happens following the events of WC2, and before WC3.

Eh, this isn't Ultima - we can be reasonably sure that Chris Blair is male.

Priv2 being part of the real WC Universe. Seems like that depends on who you ask. Most say there is little or no connection, but someone more qualified is going to have to answer that one.

Privateer 2 is certainly part of the Wing Commander universe -- it's kind of quite clearly the sequel to Privateer. :)

"Special Operations" again?

Secret Ops was the final 'main series' game. It was released for free as downloadable 'episodes'.

So, let me guess, Armada is WC4?

Wing Commander 4 is "The Price of Freedom". Wing Commander Armada was a spinoff game based on multiplayer and strategy modes of gameplay.

Now I thought someone said that the end of WC3 == the end of the war. If so, what was WC4 about?

Wing Commander 3 is the end of the war with the Kilrathi -- but there must almost as many stories set after the war as there were during it these days.

Saved your post to a text file. Gee!, after so many years, now I feel like playing all the other WC games...

I have this burning question: *Could* and/or *Should* WCU have the same character alternating between Privateering and Service roles?, or would it make more sense that the player can choose at the start of the game between playing a privateer or having a military career? In other words, I'm wondering if, first of all, the time overlaps between Priv and WC *can* be bent without breaking too much cannon, so as to place them sequentially. Secondly, whether the general character one plays in WC is compatible with Priv's character. And thirdly, whether there might be other issues I'm not aware of.

I'm also toying with some ideas in my mind about the period leading to Priv 2.
I was thinking that perhaps the retros didn't keep their word of destroying the gun, and that one very smart Confed official, maybe Terrel himself, ..or, no, make that Goodin, decides that the only way to defeat the retros is by enlisting the help of the pirates. But this cannot be done openly, because it would look terrible on the Confeds, and other officials would never go for it, so he gives you the mission to become a pirate, try to rise in rank within the pirate power ladder, then steer the pirates to an 'under the table' cooperation with the Confeds and Militias, in exchange for ships, weapons and only nominal policing on the part of the militias. In part 1 of this story, the retros are defeated, but the pirates acquire enormous power, so in part 2, you're given the secret mission to lead the pirates down a path of self-defeat and internal division; and then you find out you have a young brother you never knew about, who is already a high-ranking pirate who suspects your motives, and eventually poisons you with some herb that mimics an incurable disease's symptoms, so that doctors decide it's best to freeze you while a cure for this disease is found. Then your young brother asks that your frozen body be transported to a planet where some other relatives live, and arranges for a pirate flight group to attack the ship before it lands...

Secondly, whether the general character one plays in WC is compatible with Priv's character. And thirdly, whether there might be other issues I'm not aware of.

No, I don't think anyone would appreciate or understand that. While you were a "nameless" pilot in the first Wing Commander, the character has been expanded into a full character with a complete backstory in the years since.

Chris Blair has been the main character in four games and a background character in a fifth... and he's been the subject of four novels, a major motion picture, a thirteen episode TV series and a zillion other little bits of continuity.

Grayson Burrows is still a pretty big unknown -- but I don't see making him an officer going over well, either... he's pretty adamant in Privateer and Righteous Fire that he's *not* going to join the military.

I'm also toying with some ideas in my mind about the period leading to Priv 2.
I was thinking that perhaps the retros didn't keep their word of destroying the gun, and that one very smart Confed official, maybe Terrel himself, ..or, no, make that Goodin, decides that the only way to defeat the retros is by enlisting the help of the pirates. But this cannot be done openly, because it would look terrible on the Confeds, and other officials would never go for it, so he gives you the mission to become a pirate, try to rise in rank within the pirate power ladder, then steer the pirates to an 'under the table' cooperation with the Confeds and Militias, in exchange for ships, weapons and only nominal policing on the part of the militias. In part 1 of this story, the retros are defeated, but the pirates acquire enormous power, so in part 2, you're given the secret mission to lead the pirates down a path of self-defeat and internal division; and then you find out you have a young brother you never knew about, who is already a high-ranking pirate who suspects your motives, and eventually poisons you with some herb that mimics an incurable disease's symptoms, so that doctors decide it's best to freeze you while a cure for this disease is found. Then your young brother asks that your frozen body be transported to a planet where some other relatives live, and arranges for a pirate flight group to attack the ship before it lands...

They're not really connected this way -- Vell Ricaud, again, has a backstory that precludes him from being Grayson Burrows.

I see. So, it's going to take some thinking how to turn all this WC and make a continuously playable WCU...

Okay, is this correct so far?

WC1 - 2654 (name eventually becomes Chris Blair)
SM - 2654-2655 "The Secret Missions" (Thor's Hammer)
SM2 - 2655 "The Secret Missions" (...)
WC2 - 2665-2667
SO1/2 - 2667 "Secret Operations"
PRIV - 2669 "Privateer (part 1)" (name is Grayson Burrows)
WC3 - 2669 (leading to end of the war)
WCA 267? "Wing Commander Armada" (multiplayer spinoff)
PRF 267? "Privateer - Righteous Fire" (concurrent with Armada)
WC4 - 2673 "The Price of Freedom"
WCP/SO - 2681 "Prophesy" and "Secret Operations"

PRIV2 27?? "The darkening" (name is Vell Ricaud)

I'm missing some names. Donno which WC is "False Colors", e.g.

Another question: When I played Priv and RF, the name was dan_w ;-)
When did it become Grayson Burrows?

Roughly:

Wing Commander: Action Stations - 2634 (Novel)
Wing Commander Academy - 2654 (TV Series)
Wing Commander - 2654 (Movie)
Wing Commander: Pilgrim Stars - 2654 (Novel)
Wing Commander - 2654 (Game)
Wing Commander: The Secret Missions - 2654-2655 (Game)
Super Wing Commander - 2655 (Game)
Wing Commander Secret Missions 2: Crusade - 2655 (Game)
Wing Commander: Freedom Flight - 2655 (Novel)
Wing Commander 2: Vengeance of the Kilrathi - 2665-2667 (Game)
Wing Commander 2: Special Ops 1 - 2667 (Game)
Wing Commander 2: Special Ops 2 - 2667 (Game)
Wing Commander: End Run - 2667 (Novel)
Wing Commander: Fleet Action - 2668 (Novel)
Wing Commander: Armada - 2669 (Game)
Wing Commander: Privateer - 2669 (Game)
Privateer: Righteous Fire - 2670 (Game)
Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger - 2669 (Game, Novel)
Wing Commander: False Colors - 2670-2672 (Novel)
Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom - 2673 (Game, Novel)
Wing Commander Prophecy - 2681 (Game)
Wing Commander Secret Ops - 2681 (Game)
Privateer 2: The Darkening - 2790 (Game)

Back