Playing Privateer 2

FleeBalls

Spaceman
All that discussion of Privateer 2 has compeled me to dust of the box and play the game for the first time since 1994. I have to admit, from what I remember I was very dissapointed with the game when I played through it the first time, and have not tried it against since. I think I was mainly put off by the game because it lacked the WC environment that made me love its predecessor so much. The absence of any recognizable WC tie-ins, and especially the lack of Kilrathi, caused the game to fall very short in my mind. I know that that was the underlying basis of the collosus of an arguement that just took place in this forum, but my interest in the game has been piqued once again....and now I wont have any giant expectations for the game so I think it will be a lot of fun to play it again. OK....Now that that babbling is finished, MY REAL QUESTION > I have windows XP- I know that many guys (Mr. Reid especially) have helped people play old WC games on Win XP, but I am really at a loss...I don't even know how to get a DOS prompt on my computer. Isn't there something I have to download to be able to do that? Anyways, I would be very grateful if someone could post exact instructions on how to get the game to run, as I have NO idea where to begin. I do remember trying to play the game before back in '99, and that I couldnt get it to run even before I had XP....so if I need to get a patch to play please include that info as well...Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me.

Well, for starters we need to know if you have the DOS or Windows version. If you had it when it first came out, then that'd be DOS, but that was late 1996, not '94. THP has spent a lot of time developing a very thorough upgrade for the DOS P2.
http://www.perli.net/projekte/privateer2win95/
You can use your current disc, combine it with his patches, and burn a Windows playable upgraded copy. His instructions are pretty easy to follow and bypass the need to experiment with DOSBox for the game, so I'd start there.

When i put the cd in, an autorun screen pops up, and gives several options. Because of the auto run i assumed it was compatible with win 95+...but one of the options it give you is "Shortcut to Dos"...I dont know if that helps or not....if not, how do i know what copy of the game i have?

Back