Pick Your Upgrade Path (October 29, 2005)

Dyret said:
This thread needs Psych.
I don't think Psych would lower himself to the point of actually arguing with him. Besides, it's not like this guy needs any help in making a total idiot of himself.

Quarto said:
I don't think Psych would lower himself to the point of actually arguing with him. Besides, it's not like this guy needs any help in making a total idiot of himself.

Yeah, that's probably true... was just thinking that this guy has alot in common with Antman(why are all you ugly geeks dissing me, I'm rich and famous and girls love me) who Psych dealt with quite nicely.

Yeah... every generation of posters needs a good troll or two to make fun of. It's a social thing, I suppose, for our odd little society -- I may be a Wing Commander fan... but hoo-boy, I look good compared to this guy.

I, for the life of me, can't remember what Antman did -- but however we made fun of him seems to have impressed a lot of people here.

On the other hand, I remember "HOUSE VENTRUE" trolling Origin's Official Wing Commander Chat Zone back when Psych and I were wet behind the ears cadets...

Hehe, where do they give masters for people who argue their points by going "OMG SHUT UP IM RIGHT AND U HAVE A DUMB NAME U STUPID ASSHAT... Ahem... By the way, I lead a wonderful life, gentlemen!", anyway?

Now, now, Eder, when someone tells you they have an advanced degree on the internet, it's *automatically true*.

That's why there's never been any discussion about Derek Smart, ever.

Hmmm, good point... "OMG UR STUPID, now excuse me while I act superior and pretend I'm the victim for a bit." is as Derek Smart as it gets.

ROFL. What a way to start a day - having a good laugh in the WC forums...

But to beat DS he'd have to find people willing to pay in order to be allowed to be insulted. Now this takes a real genius ;-9

What's funny is he thinks we're such garbage, and yet he keeps coming back. We must be really addictive. Don't suppose there's a support group for that we can send him to, is there?

well, he may be everything he says, but sacrificed the oppurtunity to build a character in order to have two university degrees and looking like absolute perfection.

to each his own.

on topic: these days, the common household PC is a 2ghz, with 512MB.
to turn these things into a game machine you only need to put in a decent
Radeon or Geforce instead of using the onboard card. these machines can then
run ALL current games.

Mace said:
well, he may be everything he says, but sacrificed the oppurtunity to build a character in order to have two university degrees and looking like absolute perfection.
For his own sake, I truly hope that he isn't everything he says, though. I mean, the stupidity he engaged in here would be excusable in a teenager - it's really a teenager's job to be stupid. But if you are, as this guy claims to be, a successful 27 year-old with an important job and two master's degrees, then participating in this kind of debate in such a moronic manner seems to indicate some pretty serious character flaws...

Well, there's a few people that tends to act more stupid on the internet than in "real life". If he *does* have a Girlfriend and a good job, and he *do* act like this in real life, I wonder how long he'll be able to keep either...

Sarty said:
Well just because PCI Express came out, doesn't mean you have to switch to it. I still use AGP and it runs just fine.

You ever seen an AGP card that has a DVI-dual link output (dual link as in high bandwidth, not two DVI connectors)? I need one, and I've only seen PCI-e cards that have it.

Quarto said:
But if you are, as this guy claims to be, a successful 27 year-old with an important job and two master's degrees, then participating in this kind of debate in such a moronic manner seems to indicate some pretty serious character flaws...

Yeah, really, when I become handsome, turn 27, get two masters degrees and amass a giant fortune, screw the rest of you guys.

ChrisReid said:
You ever seen an AGP card that has a DVI-dual link output (dual link as in high bandwidth, not two DVI connectors)? I need one, and I've only seen PCI-e cards that have it.
QUOTE]

Depends on your requirement for 3d performance. Matrox makes a couple of cards with dual dvi support. They are a few gens old so have pretty lousy 3D performance but they are AGP and provide superb 2d quality. Also I believe that HIS makes a Radeon 9600 with dual-dvi.

In general I can just say this to you all. Everything I have said is true, it is your choice to believe it or not. Maybe I have been a jerk, but I don't respond well to lame replies like Deaths. "So this guy says he knows some EA dudes. That is impossible! I better call him a 13 yerold kid trying to be important."

Maybe it is only natural for you guys to "buddy up". My initial replies might have been more mature but banning me for retorting to asinine post is just bad adminwork. Everything after that was just a product of a complete loss of respect for the Admins.

I also happen to be lead admin on a community a little smaller than this, that I will refrain from naming. And I would definately not want my admins and mods to behave unprofessionally. (Ok our community does involve alot of donation money so we need to be nice, but still)

I was, perhaps, somewhat sarcastic about it, but I wasn't saying that you were a 13 year old, simply that some random person making a comment on a web forum could possibly be as I mentioned. It's hardly rare for someone to make use of the relative anonymity of the internet to make themselves out to be what they're not, typically in a way that enhances importance.

You have yet to prove that you do know any EA employees, let alone that said employees are in a position where they could be reasonably authoritative about the statement you attribute to them. Simply restating "I do know them" isn't proof.

As for "loss of respect", frankly I have little concern for what other people on a web board, a vast majority of whom I'm highly unlikely to meet offline, think of me. All I ask, as an admin here, is that the members obey the rules to which they had to agree before being given an account here.

well, you know the last time i had this kind of discussion was on the dutch XBOX forum, an the individual actually proved to be a 13-year old with overactive fantasies.

myself, i have been the dutch technical advisor of one-time europe's biggest pc's outlet, (vobis), worked for the electric company's during a mirgation(REMU),did on-location technical support for an event-management company throughout europe(summit/synergy), and am currtently the technical guy for Apacer technologies in europe. I also have a german girlfriend who is chemical analyst

I might make some mistakes like everyone else does, that is reality, and if you can face them, that makes you a better person.

in dutch we have a saying for your kind of person "Bord voor zijn kop", wich translated means: "plate in front of your head", it is applicable to those who, whatever you say to them, lack the capability to divert from their orignal vision, even when the facts are given to them.

as for your comments, matrox makes excellent 2D cards, 3d they are way behind, with reason, matrox is DTP faced, if you want to have a real 3D card, not just for games, go for www.3dlabs.com it also has on AGP the features you'd think you would need PCI-E for.

Unregistered said:
Lukily, fact has it that my GF just asked me to come to bed. So that is it for now.
Hahaha! That's a good one. Who wants to bet that this guy is a 12 year old with no life (he does like watching paint dry). Good riddance!

On topic, I went with 3GHZ and 1Gb of Ram. The recommend specs for a lot of new games is approaching that now, and seeing as unless anyone knows better, there is no official WC game in development, we could be waiting another 2-3 years before it gets released, and by then I would imagine that my chosen spec would be a bit on the low side.

unregistered dude knows some guys at EA, maybe he can give more info on the new WC game :cool:

Mace said:
unregistered dude knows some guys at EA, maybe he can give more info on the new WC game :cool:
Well, that's what started all this - unregistered dude (back then, still registered :p ) claims that according to his inside information, EA is too busy "taking over the world" to make a new WC game.

...And, he's surprised we don't take him seriously.

ChrisReid said:

Radeon X1300

Dual DVI and can be modified to work with AGP(not sure if thats really what you want to do).

Unregistered said:
Depends on your requirement for 3d performance. Matrox makes a couple of cards with dual dvi support. They are a few gens old so have pretty lousy 3D performance but they are AGP and provide superb 2d quality. Also I believe that HIS makes a Radeon 9600 with dual-dvi.

I specifically said dual-dvi was NOT what I was looking for, rather dual-link, which is a technical bandwidth descriptor that I've only found in high end pci-e cards.

Unregistered said:
Maybe it is only natural for you guys to "buddy up". My initial replies might have been more mature but banning me for retorting to asinine post is just bad adminwork. Everything after that was just a product of a complete loss of respect for the Admins.

Who the hell cares what you think? You've already proven yourself a total asshat.

Sarty said:
Radeon X1300

Dual DVI and can be modified to work with AGP(not sure if thats really what you want to do).

Yeah, it's still a pci-e card though, like the others I've seen. It'd be more expensive and I'd need to get some sort of adapter to make it work.

Back