PERRY, where do you land?

Marc

Commodore
It's a simple matter really...

In Privateer, when you landed, the transition sequence never showed exactly where you entered the station... and after that you could only see the view of some honeycomb style landing bay.

In my little head, I've got it down to tree possible sites- but I'm guessing here.

Can anyone confirm where the landing bay is?
If not, does anyone whant to venture a guess?

Please, educate me.

Attachments

• landing.jpg
    landing.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 319
This picture makes it look like fighters and other small craft enter through the portal on the station's north pole. I would imagine that the equitorial ring has facilities to dock larger craft, and the large hangar doors on the southern globe serve as drydock.

Last edited by a moderator:
6and7eighths you're a genius. I had forgotten about that image. The CIC has the full version in its wallpaper section and it contains the awnser...

Civilians go in on the bottom...
Military goes out through the top...
and my wold is a better place :)

Attachments

• landingsolved.jpg
    landingsolved.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 314
In the Reckoning FL mod you dock in the top.
Although, considering how large Perry is I think all three would be logical. Perhaps larger ships dock at the top and bottom and smaller craft would land around the perimeter.

it looks like Capitol ships could go in the top and bottom (military and civilian separated) and then small ships could go through the sides?

or the sides could be for Perry's compliment fighters?

Danaru said:
it looks like Capitol ships could go in the top and bottom (military and civilian separated) and then small ships could go through the sides?

or the sides could be for Perry's compliment fighters?

I think all the evidence in this thread demonstrates exactly the opposite. Smaller vessels are pictured going in both the top and bottom, with no fighters along the sides. It also makes sense that the larger ships take up too much internal space and would therefore use perimeter ports, if that's what they are.

Based on the second picture it's clear to me that civilian ships go in the bottom and military go in the top. I don't think there is much more too it than that.

Yes...as we know, a single picture can be completely and utterly conclusive. Why bother considering any other evidence? Especially when the said picture does not show the civilian ship entering through the bottom...unless of course Perry station is only the size of about 15 Centurions...the fighter is merely pointed at the station in general. It could be rotating to enter through the top section. It could be lining up to enter into a side port. I don't think it's entering the bottom bay considering how big it is in relation to the station. I fail to see how you can say from that single picture that all military ships leave Perry through the top exit and all civilian ships enter/leave through the bottom bay.

Maj.Striker said:
I fail to see how you can say from that single picture that all military ships leave Perry through the top exit and all civilian ships enter/leave through the bottom bay.
I am in complete agreement about the size of the Centurion relative to Perry. The reason I didn't give it mutch thought is that the picture seems to be a montage of various dramatic views- nothing actually logical. I mean, the image also shows an agricultural planet merely a couple of millons kilometres away from Perry, in fact the station might actually be orbiting the thing and TWO Paradigms cuising alongside- none of witch is actually seen in the game...

https://www.wcnews.com/wallpapers/full/PRIVATER.BMP

The point about the size of the centurion is a good one. You have to remeber though, that the scaling was never that good on the original privateer anyway.

Only because we're never really given any basis for comparison, or hard numbers. Simply using a rough estimate, based on the interior dimensions of the ships available to the player and their comparability to one another, it's a safe bet that they're all in the neighborhood of one hundred meters in length (putting all of them neatly into the corvette category).

I would imagine that Perry is fairly massive as far as Wing Commander space stations go. It is, after all, the primary fortification on the Terran-Kilrathi frontier in the Gemini Sector, probably about twice as large as the Wing Commander II starbase. Most of its internal volume is probably hollow, in fact, the central shaft lined with a honeycomb of berths like those seen in the in-game hangar screen.

But more than that, it seems to me that the station would also house a substantial civilian population. Contractors, support staff, and military families would make up a substantial portion of the permanant population in addition to the naval and space forces personnel, just as in a terrestrial military base town. All that means really big, much bigger than a couple dozen Centurions lined up end to end. :p

Or maybe I'm just reading too deeply into it.

I've actually been clean for a couple of months now, thanks for asking.

These are not fighters we're talking about, their civilian starships with extensive cargo capacity, amenities for interstellar travel, and soforth. Take the Galaxy, for example. The cockpit is downright cavernous, and it's clear from design that it drew at least some inspiration from the Millenium Falcon (not a small ship, either). It stands to reason that the interior configuration is equally similar, in purpose if not dimensions. The Orion seats an additional two bridge crew behind the pilot, and the Tarsus (easily the smallest of the lot) has room for a copilot sitting abreast the player character. These are vessels which you could easily stand up and walk around in. Even the Centurion, which only seats one in its small dome cockpit, has a cargo capacity of seventy-five units (cubic meters? Who knows).

It naturally follows that these ships have more in common with a Venture-class corvette (eighty meters) than, say, a Sabre or Broadsword (Both large fighter-bombers, 23 and 36 meters, respectively).

I agree with 6and7eighths. Note that we do not know the size of the Privateer ships and that they are transports, more akin to Paladin's Free Trader than fighters -- they can hold their own with the second string units in Gemini, but would be wholly outmatched by the Confederation and Kilrathi fighters serving in contested sectors... just compare the specifications of a Hellcat V or an Excalibur to anything in Privateer. Also, we do not know the size of Perry. Since we're comparing two complete unknowns, it seems difficult to discount anything based on such a statement.

(I'm going to discount the 'twice as large as the WC2 stations' claim, though -- it's a complete unknown. The WC2 stations are remarkably large, have huge fighter complements and are generally seen in much more important areas than Gemini. I believe the ships database entry for them you've linked to is wrong -- the proper 'length' should be 2400 meters, since the statistic given in the original Joan's is "Radius: 1200 meters")

Furthermore, to what end do we dismiss that the Centurion can land in the bottom of Perry? Why would we need or want to discount the only evidence we have of where the ships land? "Because we like something we decided better" isn't a very good reason.

I disagree somewhat. My point earlier that I was trying to make was not that it's impossible for the civilian ships to enter and leave from the bottom bay of Perry but that one picture doesn't mean that all civilian ships enter and exit through Perry's bottom bay and allmilitary ships enter and exit through the top of Perry. That could very well be true but basing that off of one picture is not conclusive enough for me. In regards to the size issue...I disagree because when we look at New Constantinople. There are several ships docked inside the cavernous bay of the station. Noticeably we see quite a size difference between the Drayman (which we really should have hard numbers on size for...) and the Centurion. I don't have the particular picture I'm referring to in front of me but I think there's at least 10 or so ships pictured with plenty of open room between them all. If the Centurion is 100 meters and the Drayman looks to be about 3-5x that size then that means the interior of New Constantinople's hangar area alone is much much larger than 10,000 meters...not to mention the actual living areas of the station.

The reason I whanted to know the bay's location in the first place was...

Attachments

• Perry01.jpg
    Perry01.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 187
Back