Other Space Sim's

C.MAC

Spaceman
Hi,

Is there any good (good story presentation aswell) Space sim out there besides Wing commander?

I alredy own:

I-War 1 & 2
Freespace 1 & 2
Wing Commander Series (of course)
Privater 1 & 2 & Remake
Tachyon: The Fringe
Colony Wars Series (Playstation)
Starlancer
Freelancer (urgh...)

Are there any other (half way good) game's out there?
I don't really care how old as long it's at least on a graphic level of WC3 (I don't want to play Elite again)

(Sorry if this was discussed before)

You have to try Hardwar. Maybe slightly below your graphic expectations, but a great freeform sim.

I also quite enjoyed Crimson Skies albeit it isn't a space sim.

I've recently played Space Interceptor: Project Freedom. Nice gameplay and backgrounds, the only major problem is the lack of radar and sensors to allow for more awerness of the scenarios. But it's a good game, with interesting ground missions and dogfighting. It has problems here and there.

It has a simple research for improvements that are sometimes reflected on the ship's 3D Model. The story isn't much. It's a budget title, so it has good value.

Thank you for your Suggestions!

@ChrisReid:

Thx anyway.

@cff & Edfilho:

I'll definitely check out Hardwar, thx.

@TopGun:

Yes Colony Wars is great (as far as I can remember...).
Somehow I managed to miss Star Trek: Invasion all the years.
I'll check it out, thx.

@Delance:

I was looking forward to Project Freedom for a little while and when it came out... well it's not worth waiting for it at all (IMHO).
But thx anyway.

Damn I really wish they would still make game's like Wing Commander (and all the other good space sim's) and would be able to sell them...
Just imagine how great those Game's would look today...

Well... I'll just wait till I'm very rich and then I'll hire me a nice group of Game Developers... ;)

Although it's not really what you're looking for, I quite enjoyed Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (sort of a cross between Homeworld and Starfleet Command, with surprisingly good production values and some nice 3D rendered scenes). Escape Velocity: Nova is kind of a 2D Privateer. It's surprisingly fun.

Starshatter also comes up a lot in these discussions, for good reason.

Does anyone remember the name of that Space Sim that pitted two factions against each other, and allowed you to switch sides in the middle of battle? IIRC, it was a contemporary of Wing Commander 3, but never did quite as well as expected. It used a full 3D polygon engine, with far more colors than WC3, and advanced much of the plot through text.

I-War 1 & 2
= Played only the first one and it is so damn hard, can only do a few mission. Never played the second one and would love to get a copy and now a bit about it

Freespace 1 & 2
= Played both and love it. Great Story!!!

Wing Commander Series
= No comments...play it once..play it again

Privater 1 & 2 & Remake
= Priv 1 and 2 played and enjoy. Remake have played it yet cos I haven't downloaded yet

Tachyon: The Fringe
= Never heard of it

Colony Wars Series (Playstation)
= Never heard or played it

Starlancer
= Yeah baby bring back the cold war...hahaha

Freelancer
= Played it and enjoyed it, reminds me so much of Privateer, but there are so many things they could have done to make it better.

Starlancer was great, Freelancer, less so...no one mentioned X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Versus TIE Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance? How could you possibly leave those out?

Also, Battlestar Galactica was amusing for a few hours of diversion, but not as a serious simulator type game. More of an arcade type.

X-wing = Nice strong shields, TIEs easy to pick of
Tie Fighter = Big improvement from the X-Wing series, love the subplot with the Circle story
X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter = Find me a copy of Balance of Power then I would say something
x-Wing Alliance - Only sim from the Star Wars series that I play over and over again. Trying to get the highest rank possible. The highest I could reach was Lieutenant Commander I think.

I never played the Balance of Power expansion, I had issues with it. It adds some ships I don't think deserve additions, and some that should have arleady been included in the XVT Game originally (like the B-Wing).

However, releasting XVT with just eight flyable craft was a mistake. I'm glad they made so many ships flyable in XWA.

Indeed
But they should have added an expansion or two to Alliance
Maybe flying mission during the Thrawn Trilogy or something...

AKAImBatman said:
Does anyone remember the name of that Space Sim that pitted two factions against each other, and allowed you to switch sides in the middle of battle? IIRC, it was a contemporary of Wing Commander 3, but never did quite as well as expected. It used a full 3D polygon engine, with far more colors than WC3, and advanced much of the plot through text.

Star Rangers? Star Crusader? Xenocracy?

Ah well, just let me check my collection and see what registers as a space opera... (all WC titles removed):

Absolute Zero
Allegiance
Babylon 5 I've Found Her: Danger and Opportunity
Backlash: Turret Gunner
Battlecruiser 3000AD V2.09
Battlecruiser Millennium
Battlecruiser Tactical Engagement
Buda5:Minbari War
Buda5:Raiders
Command Adventures: Starship (CommandSHIP)
Darklight Conflict
Echelon
Echelon [2001]
Elite
Elite +
Epic
Evil Core: Fallen Cities
Eye of the Storm
First Encounter: Elite 3
Flight Commander
Freespace 2
Frontier: Elite 2
Halcyon Sun (Episode 1)
Hardwar
Hell Fighter
Hyperspeed
Incoming
Inferno (Epic 2)
Maverick V08.2002
MDD Clone (Mercenary / Damocles / Dion Crisis)
Nomad
Protostar (Starflight 3)
Solar Winds 1
Solar Winds 2
Space Rogue
Star Crusader
Star Rangers
Starflight 1
StarFlight 2: Trade Routes of The Cloud Nebula
Starglider
Starglider 2
Starion 2010
Starmerc
StarTrade
Tachyon
Terminus
Wazzal
Xenocracy
X-Beyond the Frontier
X-Tension (X-BTF addon)
X2

Not all of them meet the graphical "standard" of WC3, but many are fun nonetheless (what's wrong about Elite?). If you check the titles against Mobygames, you'll get detailed info on most of them.

There's a mission pack out there, or under development, that intends to convert the whole game over to the Heir to the Empire time frame, if you can find it. There was one for the NJO series, as well. If either one of those made it to release I would have cried from sheer happiness. That would add hours of gameplay to the game. I programmed a few of my own missions using a program called "Allied" which was great. They were alot of fun. The game is easily moddable.

where did you hear about those addons??
I heard nothing. But then being all the way in Australia I would hear things abut 6 months behind or something......bugger

They aren't offical They're fan made, like the Ultimate Craft PAck (and if you don't have that, go get it RIGHT NOW From Darksabers Opt STation - Star Destroyers NEVER looked so good).

Back