Original Privateer

Manny

Spaceman
I recently downloaded Privateer Gemini Gold and played it on my computer. It was kind of fun but it was running pretty slow for some reason and I guess it was just not the original like the one I used to play in 1995. So I stopped. However, I was digging around some old junk and to my suprise I happen to find the original Wing Commander Privateer (The original CD that ran off of MS-DOS). I tried to install it on my computer and it's giving me crap saying that the system cannot run on my Windows. Is there anyone that can help me with step by step instructions on how to install the original "Wing Commander Privateer" on my computer? Any help will be mostly appreciated.

Thanks,

Manny

The easiest way is to run it in Dosbox. This update has instructions, but get the most recent version of Dosbox (0.65) instead. The tech support forum has more information on running old games in Dosbox.

Last edited:
Thanks,

This helped out. I was able to use the instructions step by step without too much complications. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough memory space to play the game. If I had enough, I'm pretty sure it would of worked fine. I'm gonna have to think of something to get my computer compatible to running the game. (Looks like it's time to update my computer........ great, more shopping time.........)

What sort of memory constraint do you have? I don't think you should have a problem like that.

I think I know what's wrong---

I had the same problem getting Armada to start normally, and this is what I did:
Instead of (for example) typing mount c c:\Privateer (where privateer is the directory of your game, and c: is your harddrive), type mount a: c:\Privateer
Then, type a: to go to an a: DOS prompt, then type dir, and type the name of the .exe. Then the game should run from there!

I hope that helped,
The Maniac

WOW it worked. I got the game with sound and music playing perfectly. The only problem left is how do I maximize the screen for the DOSBox. It only let's me play the game in a minimize window. The instructions for DOSBox tell's me to type in "Fullscreen" but when I do it, it says "False" and that's it. Anybody had this problem before?

Hitting Alt+Enter only enlargens the DOSBox Status Window. The DOSBox 0.65 is the the other window that the game is played off of. That window is not maximizing, even when you hit Alt+Enter.

If you're actually in the DOS dosbox, rather than the code box running in the Dosbox Status window then ALT-ENTER should fullscreen it.

If that doesn't work look in your dosbox.conf and change the line "fullscreen=false" to "fullscreen=true" and dosbox will start in fullscreen when you run it.

Manny said:
WOW it worked. I got the game with sound and music playing perfectly. The only problem left is how do I maximize the screen for the DOSBox. It only let's me play the game in a minimize window. The instructions for DOSBox tell's me to type in "Fullscreen" but when I do it, it says "False" and that's it. Anybody had this problem before?

Whoooaa. Even I'm surprised! Normally when I try to help someone like that it doesn't work, but good that it works for you!

The Maniac---<realizes post was unnecissarily too long>
<also realizes i spelled ^ wrong :)>

Thanks everyone for all your help on this. Thanks to each and everyone of you for your mad crazy skills, I have officially turned into a zombie from playing this game for 2 days straight without much sleep. It's a miracle I can stay awake at work! Anyways, this game rocks! Thanks everyone!

Manny said:
, I have officially turned into a zombie from playing this game for 2 days straight without much sleep.

That's kind of a bad thing, but that's happened to all of us. . . sadly.

Thee Mniaac

Maybe kids in Mexico, they go from like September to August, but have a bunch of breaks.

THE MANIAC

Manny said:

you can also change a lot of things, like cpu cycles etc. incase you run into a game that is running slow.

Back