Operation Thor's Hammer

My thought when I first played the Secret Missions was that the ship's Confederation name was the TCS Johann and that the the Gwenhyvar was what the kilrathi renamed it. That was the impression I got from the dialogue in the SNES version. Maybe I'll have to dig out my old SNES and play through it again just to see.

Are you sure about this actually being the Johann? I haven't played SWC since my old mac was retired, but I swear that Armstrong tells Halc on the debrief "it wasn't the Johann sir, it was the Gwenhyvar"

I was under the impression that the Kilrathi simply sent out a distress signal claiming they were the TCS Johann (where they decided on that name is a mystery, I suppose) simply to create an ambush.

I think that conversation meant more along the lines of 'it wasn't a ship to rescue, it was a ship captured by the Kilrathi'.

Whee! I've won SM1 and SM2. Truly, they were great! I really liked having several ways to finish the missions. Taking out the convoy (Jalthi, Dralthi, Fralthi) in SM2 was quite an experience, even if Colonel Halcyon didn't like it. Similarly, taking out the two Snakeirs and the Drakhai guarding them with a Dralthi was very satisfying. I really can't understand why so many people dislike the Dralthi - it's faster than the Scimitar, its guns are more accurate, and it seems to be more manoeuvrable as well. Admittedly I did have some problems with the Rapiers in Corsair 2 but I didn't find them to be as difficult as in Jotunheim 3.

The Dralthi that you fly has better weapons than the Hornet and better speed and maneuvering than the Scimitar, so I always felt that it fits nicely in between the two--you just have to remember that you have the durability of a Hornet as well.

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't hate the Dralthi.

In other news, I've been trying to play WC2, and um... It looks like I really need to get a new computer or upgrade my current one. WC1 did get a bit choppy at times, but WC2 is nearly unplayable on the 1Ghz computer I'm using.

Ah, reliving the old games...congratulations, SM 1 and 2 certainly are not easy.

I did enjoy flying the Dralthi MK II as well.

Objectively speaking, the Flying Pancake Mk II isn't too bad. Still prefer the Raptor, but by and large, the Mk II has all the good attributes of the Scimitar (good guns, same missile loadout, surprising durability) and improves on speed and maneuverability.

But given that the cats get to fly Rapiers and Hhriss against you in SM2, the Flying Pancake feels a little more outmatched than it might have been had you flown it through most of the other campaigns.

I believe the intent was that the actual 'Gwenhyvar' was an old wives tale/lower decks rec room talk sort of a thing. The ship you encounter in The Secret Missions is, as it claims, the TCS Johann (Blair refers to it as such in Secret Missions 2 - and what's the point of the 'second' name ever coming up, otherwise?).

Then why would Blair state that he destroyed the Gwenhyvar? I could of sworn that happen in SM1

Actually, I don't think the Hhriss will ever attack you in a Pancake mission unless you attack them ;) . I'm not even sure you have to destroy the Rapiers in order to win the mission - though it's pretty cool if you do destroy them, of course.

EDIT : Yes, Blair destroyed the Gwenhyvar in SM1. I guess the remaining rapiers made it back to the nearest carrier, because they weren't near the Gwenhyvar when Blair attacked it.

Actually, considering how physically large Kilrathi are, I wonder how well they managed to wedge themselves into captured Terran fighters. I guess it's not really an issue (e.g. Hobbes), and it wasn't until WC3 that it was established in-game that Kilrathi are much larger. the cutscenes in WC1/WC2 never quite suggested any big difference in scale.

Thinking back and forth, some things make more sense or less as the games progressed. Considering how dangerous Kilrathi are in hand-to-hand combat (WC3) Hobbes' restraint and Stingray's foolishness are heigtened in WC2, and the whole Mopoks situation in Rostov (WC1) much have been downright embarassing.

IIRC Kilrathi pilots need larger seats to fly human fighters, but don't otherwise have great trouble fitting into cockpits except for the most cramped such as Epee and Ferrets. I do recall in SO1, however, that Hobbes complained about being cramped in the Crossbow's turret seat.

Do the Rapiers have Kilrathi taunts? Shotglass references the human crew of the destroyer being forced to betray the Confederation over and over... but, of course, it seems more likely that the fighters would be flown by Kilrathi pilots lest they escape.

Do the Rapiers have Kilrathi taunts? Shotglass references the human crew of the destroyer being forced to betray the Confederation over and over... but, of course, it seems more likely that the fighters would be flown by Kilrathi pilots lest they escape.

My memory recalls that the Rapiers used Kilrathi comms video and taunts.

Back