One wingman to through the Kilrathi War.

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
So I decided to replay Super Wing Commander the other day and began thinking about the various wingmen we fly with.

I know it's been a while, but if you could chose one wingman to fly through the entire war with, and I mean every mission they would be on your side, who would it be?

(Please note, I'm speaking of flying style and attitude, political affiliations are being set aside. So if you chose Hobbes, in this case, he wouldn't try to gut you with his claws.)

After going over each wingman individually and thinking back to the other Wing Commander games (including the fan makes), I have to go with SWC Jazz. I chose him for several reasons, first of all in Super Wing Commander, his voice is the only one I can really tolerate, the others sound like they had been taking downers or were computerized. I have to say the worst of these was Iceman.

In addition to having the best voice, he was also extremely tough. I can't remember ever once seeing him get shot down. I should also note, he's the only pilot I've flown with to take on a capital ship and live to tell the tale. Most of the time in both WC1 and SWC, if your wingman tries to take one of the larger ones on, he get's blasted. Jazz actually knocked one out... though I don't remember which one.

So yeah, political affiliation that becomes aparent later on in WC2, he is the best pilot you fly with in my opinion.

Paladin and Hunter were not bad either, but I got pretty used to having Maniac around, since he is available throughout and beyond the entire war...

I have to vote for the Maniac.

Primate. He had excellent stats in WC4 and seemed to have a nice overall attitude.

Of the wingmen who we know a little better, my choice would probably be Hawk. Nice guy, kicks ass.

No question for me -- Barrie "Cpl Hades" Almond. I have NEVER seen a better Wing Commander Prophecy pilot. Once watched the dude play the game without sound looking at the screen in reverse sitting behind it in a busy convention hall and still methodically kill everything.

Funny, for me it would be Iceman. Follows orders, doesn't take stupid risks,...
Close second is Hunter. He knows when to not follow orders and still survive.

I think it would be Vaquero for me. Excellent pilot (only one on the Victory that I had a hard time keeping up with on kills when I took him out with me), always follows orders, and his comms are awesome (Andale! Let's Dance! Eat s*** and die, gato!) Vagabond, Hunter, and Primate are close seconds.

Back