Ok whats your best story about Wing Commander?!

StumpDrummer

Spaceman
Mine was a party night at my father in laws..we were eating(what was left of the Thanks Giving ham off the bone!) and drinking a Lil bit of a 1/2 gallon of Early Times...Yep pretty much toasted!!...and I believe it was RedClaw he was fighting or trying to kill for several times. After about the 3rd 4th try he was down to 1 gun ship all shot to heck!! sparks flying everywhere!! and RedClaw started running!! He finally got his ship turned around and fired 1 time..after what seemed like forever and the bullet was fixin to disapeer, it hit RedClaw and he blew up!! This was by far the coolest single shot Ive ever seen in the game to date since 1993!!! You would have had to have been there and as drunk as we were to understand!! Thnx CIC for keeping these old memories alive in my little old feeble mind!!!

When I first purchased WC3 I could not get it to run for love nor money on my PC. Thought the CD's were corrupt. Returned to store, worked fine on the PC's in-store.

Turned out my old Creative 2x CD player didn't have drivers that were compatible with the WC3 cds. So I conned my father (who is notoriously tight with money) into a spontaneous upgrade to a flashy new 6x drive. Win!

Not so much a WC story as a WC 'related' story... needless to say the amazing SVGA graphics and FMV sequences failed to impress the older generation. Oh well. Win some, lose some.

When I first purchased WC3 I could not get it to run for love nor money on my PC. Thought the CD's were corrupt. Returned to store, worked fine on the PC's in-store.

Turned out my old Creative 2x CD player didn't have drivers that were compatible with the WC3 cds. So I conned my father (who is notoriously tight with money) into a spontaneous upgrade to a flashy new 6x drive. Win!

Not so much a WC story as a WC 'related' story... needless to say the amazing SVGA graphics and FMV sequences failed to impress the older generation. Oh well. Win some, lose some.

Man i remember when we go that first fancy 10k baudrate modem to replace the old 2400 we were the stuff!! and dont forget 2 WD 40 meg drives!!! then we were definatly the stuff, that week on the local boards..I tink I still got Wing1&2 loaded on that drive...but its ART now!!...Yep Im fixin to play the whole series again!!

Mine's kinda lame - the day I got the kill shot on the Ralari in McAuliffe instead of Paladin, came home, got promoted to 1st Lieutenant and a Bronze Star - that one gave me a sense of accomplishment. Like the Confederation had won the whole damn war with that one mission kind of accomplishment. I remember, it was like two weeks before I picked the game back up again...

Mine was a silly. I'd just got the Wing 1&2 combined set, yet my computer ran them way too fast and I didn't know how to slow it down (luckily my neighbour was a techie so he sorted it for me after 2 weeks). Playing through at total high speed, unable to hit anything and losing every mission, on the 10th mission I FINALLY got a kill shot in on a Dralthi and made it back to the Claw in one piece (I'd ejected nearly every time) and I figured the game was really taking the piss cos it bloody well promoted me!

Fondest memories:

I'm always surprised when I think back, that from the ages of 7-8 years old, I sucked at WC1 so badly that I didn't realize there was a winning path! Every time I played the game through I ended up in Hell's Kitchen having never flown a Raptor or Rapier. So when I finally started getting good at the game, it was an absolute treat to get to the Gimle system and fly the Raptor missions, the Rapier test flight -- then the sweet breakthrough of getting on to Venice and winning the Campaign.

Seems weird now, that I can play WC1 from beginning to end without losing a mission - but hey, practice makes perfect.

I also have fond memories of shooting down Thrakath for the first time, the sense of putting him in his place after he arrogantly informed me I 'couldn't defeat the heir to Kilrah'.

Then, in WC3, my little 12 year old heart beating and my palms sweating the first time I kissed Flint, in fact as a kid I was totally infatuated with Jennifer MacDonald for her portrayal of Flint, I'd still take her over Rachel.

I also felt genuinely emotional when Blair was killed, and to this day like to believe that he wasted the bug that jumped on him, beat the Nephilim punk to a pulp with his bare hands, then managed to escape the collapsing gate, only to be recaptured - and is waiting to be rescued from the Nephilim in WC6.

My most memorable story may be quite childish, but then I was a child so what can you do?
I got into Wing Commander with Wing Commander IV - my parents had bought it for me on the condition that I took an entrance exam for a Grammar school - in other words moving away from all my friends.
I was young, I was naive, I trusted my parents when they said "we won't make you go even if you pass, just find out if you can" (well actually I didn't trust them that much, I did answer a few intentionally incorrectly, just enough, I thought, to fail, but not enough to make it look like I didn't try) - to this day I have never *quite* forgiven them for lying about that.

...what is strange is that Wing Commander really did make up for those 3 miserable years. I got out of that school but Wing Commander has stuck with me to this day. I remember my last exams at my previous school with my friends, excitedly discussing how shocked I was by Vagabonds death.

I spent several years working full-time as a mineral inspector and my job required me to travel in southeast alaska regularly..

I was on the ferry heading for skagway one day and the seas were pretty rough (they have to be to make a ferry bob up and down) I had my laptop with me and wing commander 2 on the hard drive..

we were about half way through an 8 hour ferry ride when some kids on board thought they saw a ship firing flares.. the captain of the ferry got on the PA and said they were going to take a look around and make sure they couldn't offer assistance. We spent two hours going around in a circle around (what turned out to be) a lighthouse.. and every time we got cross-wise to the waves.. the boat would violently rock back and forth.. so I got the idea... I'm gonna play WC2.... I swear it was just like being in a motion simulator.. every time the boat was left.. I'd fly left... every time it was right I'd turn hard right.. it was awesome. I probably played 15 missions.

WC1 on the SNES, two things:
1) After a fair few attempts, finally got the Medal of Valor the morning of my undergrad graduation. (Penn State's honors program hangs a medal on you when you graduate, FWIW.) Was a nice way to start the day.

2) Much later, using an emulator (I still have the cartridge & the deck): rolled the killboard over. After the 129th kill, it's back to the bottom for you!

Receiving WC1 as an X-Mas gift in January 1992, sent by my grandma from France. I still remember unwrapping it, was a sunny day ;) Didn't have English classes for another few years, but the graphics were enough to get hooked. Broke the "one hour a day on the computer" rule by my mother so many times... she just couldn't get that I had to finish that mission :D

A long time ago, I was standing in the PC game section of PC World. Saw this huge black box and nearly jumped for joy when I realised it was WC3, the weight of the box firmly kept me on the ground.

The first time I beat WC3. When it first came out, I hadn't played WC2 yet, but had played WC1. My cousin told me that Luke Skywalker was in it, and I was in. It was really great to see all the...lesser-known...actors in there I knew - Biff, Luke, that British guy from Clockwork Orange. The professor from "Sliders". Sweet stuff.. But when I finally beat the game, I remember sitting back, peeling my sweaty hands off the joystick, and just watching the credits roll, rocking out to the music. Then that scene played with Blair, Maniac and Flint in Gunnery Control, where Blair pats Maniac as he walks away. Maniac turns to Flint and says "Isn't that the guy from 'Star Wars'?" About lost it. I remember knocking the joystick off the desk in my excited, awkward teenage dance. Great stuff.

Also, the first time I played Saga. Blew the brain right out the back of my skull :D

Back