Obj file import

Ptarmigan

Spaceman
Like the new changes. Here are some suggestions for the next release, you should have jump points, cloaking, and timed missions. How do you make the Flight Commander import obj files? I am having trouble with that.

Ptarmigan said:
Like the new changes. Here are some suggestions for the next release, you should have jump points, cloaking, and timed missions. How do you make the Flight Commander import obj files? I am having trouble with that.

So open up a ship.xml file in a text editor, and where you see the

<meshfile name="wasp.mesh.bin"/>
change it to
<meshfile name="mynewmesh.obj"/>

Also, your obj mesh needs to have a texture for every material. If you still can't get it working, send it over to me and I'll have a look.

I think my problem with obj files is that the textures do not turn up when I open them. I use a plugin that allows me to export obj files, which is a free one. One other suggestion for the next version is that it also read 3ds files. :cool:

Ptarmigan said:
I think my problem with obj files is that the textures do not turn up when I open them. I use a plugin that allows me to export obj files, which is a free one. One other suggestion for the next version is that it also read 3ds files. :cool:

There should be tools off the net that reliably convert 3ds to obj. Why don't you just send over your 3ds to me.

I strongly recommend Milkshape to conver to .obj. I've made a little test and it was ok. The mesh + texture were readable in FC.

Just make sure when you convert to .obj it also generates a .mtl file too.

You can also try Wings 3d. but I havent tested it.

Back