Nvidia Project Shield

Deathsnake

Rear Admiral
Nvidia build a Android-Handheld with the new Tegra 4 CPU/GPU. This Handheld can also stream your PC games on the display or over the Handheld to your TV. On the CES 2013 they play Steamgames over the handheld on a LG 4k TV without any problems in fast fps.

Here you can see the specs:

http://shield.nvidia.com/
and here is the video:

In 2 years then put on your pc, the handheld and play star citizen in the garden ;)

Seen the device already on tweakers, a dutch computer enthousiast site.

While I like the idea, it is fairly large, not "portable" enough(Like the 3DS or PSP) to take with you while you travel, and at home I prefer the big screen.

And if the device itself is succesful will ofcourse depend on the games library(not the number of games, but the quality of them).

While I like the idea, it is fairly large, not "portable" enough(Like the 3DS or PSP) to take with you while you travel, and at home I prefer the big screen.

And if the device itself is succesful will ofcourse depend on the games library(not the number of games, but the quality of them).

Well, it sounds like it's playing Android/PC games and won't be a proprietary system. Does it actually handle the streaming to big screen TVs or was it just controlling a PC hooked up to a giant TV? It's described as a portable, but if it's also some kind of convenient streaming device, I'd say the prime market could be to stream PC games to your big screen TV.

Well, it sounds like it's playing Android/PC games and won't be a proprietary system. Does it actually handle the streaming to big screen TVs or was it just controlling a PC hooked up to a giant TV? It's described as a portable, but if it's also some kind of convenient streaming device, I'd say the prime market could be to stream PC games to your big screen TV.

It's main advantage is indeed that it can stream your PC-rendered data to itself(Like a 360 streaming content from media player on your PC), so you could theoreticcaly use it as a KVM(+audio +joystick) for playing starlancer in the future. It does require an Nvidia GPU in your system!

Also it has a HDMI port, so you can hook it up to the big screen(but this makes it even less portable!)

However, with the Ouya coming onto the market, and all the tablets, the market for android seems watered. If you see new triple A-titles hitting the system, and not angry birds or other casual games, I really don't see a lifespan in it as a gaming platform.

this thing caught me completely unawares and I adore it.... I'm gonna get me one of these!

Back