News update

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
We've just uploaded another news update on the Standoff website. Hopefully this one is more to everybody's satisfaction, because it's pretty hard to get this much text out of Eder in a single update these days :p.

Standoff news update said:
As promised, we're trying to keep the news updates more frequent than once every three months. Of course, this does mean that there isn't as much progress to report in individual updates as there would be otherwise, but at least you know we're working. So, what's been going on with Standoff lately?

Well, first up, the Ep 4 missions continue to develop, and their pace is starting to pick up. That doesn't mean we're anywhere near release (...not by a long shot), but at least we've finally reached that point where our testers have some actual campaign missions to work on. By the way, if you're wondering how long it might take to develop all the missions in this episode, here's something to put things into context - this episode has more missions (including the usual ship selection-based variants, mind you) than Episodes 2 and 3 combined. Don't worry, though, it definitely won't take as long to develop as those two episodes combined :-P. We are still hoping to get both remaining episodes finished this year, after all...

The other thing I should mention is some further simulator changes. When released, Ep 4 will add scoreboard-capabilities to a few more missions (we're not currently sure if that will include all of them, or if some will remain to be done in Ep 5, however)... but that's not all. Pierre has also been working on implementing more DLL hacks to improve the system overall. So, first up - you will never again have to use the 'alswantsmoreships' cheat. All fourteen ships will now be selectable in the sim at all times. The second, and even bigger, change is the addition of further explanatory captions during the battle. Every time you get a special bonus of any kind, the game will explain how many points you got, and why. This will be especially important in the non-gauntlet missions, which will feature a number of special bonuses other than the quick-kill bonus you're already familiar with.

To finish off the update, we've added four new screenshots. The first shows off the Broadsword in the sim, now easier to choose than ever :-P. The other three shots show off some of the new information features - there's a Kamekh giving you 5x the normal kill score (by virtue of being a corvette), a quick-kill, and finally, a piece of information unrelated to the scoring system, but equally vital - info about which wave you've reached (obviously, only visible in the gauntlets).

Cool, tall me is you want more music for he new sim missions. I really want to fine tune some of the existing songs, I beleave thay are to slow for the game and I want to speed them up a little bit so they can catch up with the acction

Hey, where did you get the idea that we'd add more sim missions ? :p The news update is only about adding scoreboard-capabilities to more sim missions (missions other than the gauntlets).

sorry I missread, but anyway I do like to imprube the tracks, Make tham a little faster and equilize them better

The hack you added to remove the need for 'alswantsmoreships', is this any steps closer to actually being able to add more then 14 ships to the simulator?

No, we still have 14 ships in the sim, and we're not looking into changing that. Next thing you know, people would be bugging us about Hellcats and other hideous creatures :p.

Was just thinking that if you had found a way or was a step closer, it would help in something like hcl's wcpmp so we can add more ships. perhaps he already as a way, i dont know! :p

Quarto said:
... Next thing you know, people would be bugging us about Hellcats and other hideous creatures :p.
Hehe... btw Quarto, will there be any reference at all about Blair getting wounded in the upcoming episodes? By the time of the Battle of Earth, he was famous & I think there had to be an "infoburst" on TCN about the Confed top Ace getting wounded in Action.

This all sounds great. I'll be interested in finding out more on the scoring system. From what it sounds, I'll have to practice quick-killing Kamekhs...points galore.

Confed said:
Hehe... btw Quarto, will there be any reference at all about Blair getting wounded in the upcoming episodes? By the time of the Battle of Earth, he was famous & I think there had to be an "infoburst" on TCN about the Confed top Ace getting wounded in Action.
We don't have Infobursts, so no, there won't be an Infoburst about Blair :p.

Blair himself probably will have a tiny cameo appearance, but we're not going to make a big deal out of him.

2fb said:
I was not talking about Michael music, I was talking about the sim songs I made :p

Personally, I have this twisted love of the Kilrathi Gauntlet sim music. Somehow, it gives me this feeling of playing a retro 80's game. :D

Quarto said:
No, we still have 14 ships in the sim, and we're not looking into changing that. Next thing you know, people would be bugging us about Hellcats and other hideous creatures :p.

Have to agree with you about the "hideous"-ness of the Hellcat, and I'll add in the Tigershark along with it. Outside of flying the Scimitar, I think those are the two fighters I hate just about above all others. I hate flying missions in those two ships.

And yet they are the main-stay fighters.

Well, the tigershark sort-of is considering it is a multiple-role fighter.

Quarto said:
Ooops, sorry then for buggering about Kilrathi ships in the other thread...

@Tigerhawk: What's wrong with the Tigershark? Personally I rather like it.

Tigerhawk said:
Personally, I have this twisted love of the Kilrathi Gauntlet sim music. Somehow, it gives me this feeling of playing a retro 80's game. :D

I´d say early 90´s, 1990 to be more specific ;)

Tigerhawk said:

The confet gauntlet make me feel like im playing sonic the hedgehog for the master system

Back