NEWS: The Man Behind the Machine

Sphynx

Commodore
The Man Behind the Machine

One of the areas in which Wing Commander excels is in its ability to personalize its epoch stuggle, which it accomplished in part by giving a face, a believable personality, and in many cases a name to the many pilots and crews of the ships that the player encounters throughout the series. One way in which this feeling was generated was through the usage of communication visuals which showed the man, or the Kat, behind the machine. In our effort to recreate the feeling of Wing Commander, Saga has created customised comm animations. We've included one screenshot to give a preview of what communication visuals will be like in Saga.

Neat, but the VDU seems to be dark on dark. Do you have any that are more visible? (also "epic")

@ Chris,

We are currently working on making the VDU Comms a little brighter. One nice feature is that by pressing the L key, the heads-up-display will brighten, as well. I've noticed that my screenshots look consistently darker than they do in game.

As far as epic: IMO, a lot of our best shots of custom screenies involve a few things that we are trying to keep a little quiet for now, which would look a little more epic (at least for the prologue). Outside of that, most of the custom comms are during take off and landing. So, it's a little tough to show something more epic right now without spoiling. Sorry! Maybe I'll see if I can find something.

ChrisReid said:
Neat, but the VDU seems to be dark on dark. Do you have any that are more visible? (also "epic")

The HUD is very versatile: you can change color and/or brightness of every HUD element (either that or you can change the color of your hud completely. Currently there are three presets: green, blue, orange)

Sphynx said:
@ Chris,
As far as epic: IMO, a lot of our best shots of custom screenies involve a few things that we are trying to keep a little quiet for now, which would look a little more epic (at least for the prologue). Outside of that, most of the custom comms are during take off and landing. So, it's a little tough to show something more epic right now without spoiling. Sorry! Maybe I'll see if I can find something.

Chris was actually just pointing out that you had used the wrong word in the first post, meaning something completely different.
Sphynx said:
Wing Commander excels is in its ability to personalize its epoch stuggle

"Epoch struggle" is a real phrase, but the entire introduction is really, really corny. It's the kind of thing you read a month later and feel really bad about having written.

The two hardest things to write in the world:

1.) Obituaries.

2.) Promotional material.

:)

Oh, and thanks for catching the grammar error. No matter how careful you are, they are bound to sneak through from time to time.

Bandit LOAF said:
It's the kind of thing you read a month later and feel really bad about having written.

I thought such things only existed in my livejournal. :(

It looks good, but I would think that in the future, video would be brighter and in color, like in Prophecy.

Fatcat said:
It looks good, but I would think that in the future, video would be brighter and in color, like in Prophecy.

Dont forget that WC3 wasnt in colour. They didnt have colour back then ;)

That depends on what version you're playing! The Playstation and 3DO ports of WC3 had full color comm messages.

The unreleased (but completed!) SNES port of Wing Commander *2* even had full color comms!

Bandit LOAF said:
That depends on what version you're playing! The Playstation and 3DO ports of WC3 had full color comm messages.

The unreleased (but completed!) SNES port of Wing Commander *2* even had full color comms!

Wha!?!? Show me pics!

Any idea why the PC only got green comms?

Unregistered said:
Wha!?!? Show me pics!

There was many differences between console versions of the WC games and the PC versions. This is just one of them. ;) As for the news whats the obsession with male comms officers? I want a female one! :p

Wha!?!? Show me pics!

I don't have any on me... if you've played Prophecy, though, you've seen the Kilrathi comm segments from Wing Commander 3 -- they just reused them!

I think it was just a stylistic choice -- continuing the look of the original game.

As for the news whats the obsession with male comms officers? I want a female one!

You're forgetting about Major Edmunds from Wing Commander II.

"Meet The Saga Comm Officer" info...

RE: "Meet The Saga Comm Officer" info

This blurb on the CIC mainpage stated

"WC Saga's Sphynx wants to show us this screenshot of their custom communications VDU.
This guy...will presumably scream at you when your carrier is destroyed"

Um, how will he "scream" at us whilst he himSELF is sucking vaccuum?...

Curious, that...

:D

Whoa, Saga's funds must have been gone up quite a lot, allowing to have Alec Baldwin as comm officer.

AlecBaldwin3.jpg
sagacomms1t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back